My repainted yet still more painting horse trailer / photos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibquackers20

Reaction score
I was going to sell my 2 horse trailer but after making it into a 3 horse trailer and new coat of paint , I went from drab brown to gloss blue and white. Took me a few days and 2 tone paint all over my hands but it is comming along great and now I am keeping it, hubby will have to go in to town and take all the for sale signs down now.

Cool what hard work will do and I am just loving it , hope my minis will also. Still have to scrape the roof and make the paddings for inside plus do second coat inside as well and fix the wood in there.

ugly brown, before painting

trailer3.jpg

Shinny glossy blue and white but still a work in progress

newtrailer.jpg

What do you think, be honest

:aktion033: :aktion033:

You can come paint for me anytime!! Great job, looks better than new.

:aktion033: I just love it, the way you outlined it and the color! Are you going to paint a farm name or anything on it?

You could paint mine if you want.

Maxine

Great job! And just think of the $$$'s you saved! Smart gal, I think! :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW--great job! It really looks nice and I bet your horses are going to love there shiney new trailer. Corinne

Great Job :aktion033: !!!!!! YOu are doing a wonderful job on it. More pics when it's all done
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin

We are going to put a name on it but have not come up with anything yet, or should I say I will be painting a name on it , So far hubby came up with B & B Ranch because both our names end with B'S but I am not keen on it.

As for the paint well since it is metal outside I used gloss rust proof paint and put it on mostly with a roller, it goes on pretty easy but hard to get off the hands /lol

It has cost me $300.00 so far with paint and all the wood I needed to make seperators inside changing it from a 2 horse straight loader to a 3 side loader, not to mention paint/rollers/brushes/all the hardware and turpintine to clean the brushes - and I found that when I am done for the day I just put the rollers and brushes in a plastic bag and put them into the freezer till I need them again , easy clean up.

I am open to any farm name ideas

My minis are - Bella/C.J/print and hubbys name is James and mine is Lori

That looks awesome! What a lovely job you did.

I still have the rest of my inside padding to do too, so here's a hint for you:

Go to Walmart to the material department. Look underneath where they keep the bolts and you should find lots of vinal under there. They don't always keep it on top with the rest of the material. They also have sponge rubber too. Best prices around for doing your padding.

Thanks for the info marty , did not know they carried bolts in the material department but I am still not sure what color to use - I did the opposite inside. The walls on the top half are white and the beams in front and back rail is the same blue as outside and on the bottom half of the sides is wood which I still have to put plywood up because the old wood is splintering pretty bad. I will post photos of the inside when I clean up the flacking paint that I scrapped off the fiberglass roof, and I have the deviders in and secured.

default_yes.gif
: :new_shocked: WOW!!! You did a GREAT job!!! Want to do a 3 horse slant load gooseneck trailer..? LOL!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

WOAH its a huge turn around looks brand new now! :bgrin

WOW that is an improvement! My trailer is a rusty brown too right now and i've been meaning to get to it with a new color...great trailer though, the inside is very well put together and the undercarriage is in perfect condition amazingly for it's age! I love this little trailer =)

did you have to sand down the outside or anything or did you just paint right over all the old rust/paint???

What brand of paint did you use and how many coats did you put on?

Here's mine now...lol come paint mine! *bats eyes all cute-like*

Trailer2006.jpg

Wow! That looks really nice!! I'm gonna have to show hubby because we bought an old used trailer a couple years back that is really just for hay storage. The people we got it from were going to repaint it, but just didn't get around to it. They had already primed the whole trailer so it is solid primer grey right now. All we'd need to do is lightly powerwash it and then paint.

Did you use the normal type rollers.....the fuzzy ones, not foam? HOw many coats did you paint? How many gallons, so I'd know how much to buy.

Sharon and Minihoof , I sanded and grinded down the rust spots - there was not much. and since it was flat paint they used I just washed it and painted over the brown but had to use a dark color to go over it so I would not have to do so many coats. I bought 1 gallon of the blue and 1 gallon of the white, so far I have done 2 coats of blue and there still is about 1/4 a can left of the blue and 1/2 can of the white. Each can cost about 29.00 canadian.

Mini hoof your trailer looks shinny/glossy so you might want to do a sand job on it just so it get a little daller then the paint will stick really well. I am no painter but I do the best I can with the money I have / just do not always tell hubby what I spent or he would have a bird. I will go out when it gets a bit warmer, there is frost on the ground right now and I will get the name brand of the paint and after fixing my dogs kennel area so she does not keep escaping I will be giving my trailer another coat of white and touching up my oops on the blue. I liked doing it but would not do it for a living that is sure so sorry you guys you will have to paint your own
default_wink.png
: :cheeky-smiley-006: Oh ya the roller I used was fuzzy one but not to fuzzy though kind of short fuzz , and not those really thick fuzz -

Thanks very much for the advise! I was hoping to get mine painted before my first show but that's already this next weekend lol I have too much going on to worry about the color of my trailer now! But after this weekend I plan to attack it like no tomorrow =)

Did you use just a regular house paint or was it a specific paint for cars??? I also have a two horse trailer that I want to get painted and the quotes to get it sanded and painted were more than what the trailer is worth! Oh, also, how heavy of a grade of sandpaper did you use???

Great job on your trailer! :aktion033:

bighoop ,I bought it at home hardware and it is a rust proof paint that comes in 1 gallon cans,not to sure about the sand paper because I did not have to sand mine just where the rust was,the old color was a flat paint or it may just have been a primer do not know

Latest posts

Back