My Orion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I would geld him. I see some things with his back end that will not change regardless of age or weight gain.

I Love Him...His color is beautiful .....As a owner of minis an Intack males .I would wait til he grows a little more....My stallion age five now was not that great as a yearling but has since matured into a nice looking stallion....Perhaps not what "most" of you out their want and by all means that is just fine with me.....I am in no hurry to populate the world with my 2 stallions foals for I just like them fine as pasture buddies and show buddies and going on hike buddies and I dont own a Mare have all boys here 1 rescured Gelding but love my boys...

So sorry I'm really not much help but yeah if you cant decide can he come to IN and play in my herd of boys ? LOL we would all love him and show him how to be a horse and he'll have some fun at shows too... Oh please send him our way...

Jenn

If in doubt, don't do it. Once its done, its done and that is that. If you have the means to keep him as a stallion, give him more time and give yourself more time to make a better decision. He's got more growing up to do and at this time next year you'll have a much clearer picture of what he will be. Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.

If in doubt, don't do it.
LOL Funny, That is NOT my motto
default_laugh.png

Mine's "If in doubt, do it."

If he ain't Amazing - He ain't a stallion to me
default_wink.png

If in doubt, don't do it.
LOL Funny, That is NOT my motto
default_laugh.png

Mine's "If in doubt, do it."

If he ain't Amazing - He ain't a stallion to me
default_wink.png
I hear that too.

Like some here have said, you got too look past the coloring. You got to ask yourself here, are you a color breeder or are you a breeder that breed for conformation? Right now he isn't stallion material. BUT, he is a yearling! Yearlings change IMO everyday. So who knows what he will look like when he gets older. If you like him that badly then don't do the deed. But don't just keep him intact because of his color and who he resembles. To a good breeder conformation should always come first.

It's really easy for people to say "geld" when it isn't their own horse, lol!
default_wink.png
This little guy is a yearling, NOT a good age to be evaluating him, IMO. It doesn't hurt to take your time to decide something like this.

That said, if you end up deciding that you really don't have room or a need for another stallion, I believe that you won't regret it if you do decide to have him gelded down the line. When I LOVE a colt/stallion but don't need them as a stallion, I get them gelded.
default_wub.png
That way they get to live with any of the other horses, and I can KEEP them and enjoy them.
default_wub.png

Whatever you decide, it's YOUR decision.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back