My One Horse Open Sleigh!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chamomile

Reaction score
I have been working on this set up for some time... in my mind! I've been trying to figure out how to make a game sled into something my minis could pull safely in the snow so we can have some fun this winter! Finally, with the help of friends, we came up with this!

thegirlsandsled2.jpg

You can read all about it on my blog... and I've included LOTS of pictures!

https://theessentialhorse.com/2016/12/26/my-one-horse-open-sleigh/

Can u also post this in the Driving forum? Some folks were asking about this!

and I'm ready to see you enjoying that sled, too!!! pics?

Sounds like you had an awesome Merry Christmas.

The dun mare in the photo was our main driving mare years ago. She had some health issues we worked through this summer and then I had to have surgery this fall. But I am doing well now and so is she so I will be putting her back in the cart soon! Our weather has made it difficult with all the wind and -20 degree days. But I just know we will warm up a bit soon and then we are going to have a blast! And I will be sure to share photos and videos
default_yes.gif

Have you had a chance to have fun with it yet? It looks like you have plenty of snow. We just ordered shafts for an otter sled and they are supposed to arrive the second week in Jan. I hope we have snow by then, we have a combo of ice, mud and frozen ground depending on where you are at any given moment.

You are much more creative than we were, we thought about trying to make shafts and gave up!

Hope to see some more pictures!

We have been using it to pull hay around. But either myself or one of my boys has been pulling it. I pulls really well over little to no snow and through deep snow! I'm very excited to get the chance to hitch it to my mini when she is ready.

I tried to share this in the driving forum but it just got erased... So hopefully people over there will find it here!

Thank you for the link to your blog, and the great photos there! You made it very east for anyone to be able to adapt this setup for their own use.

Does anyone know if this type of sled could be used in muddy conditions? I'm thinking of something like a sledge that draft people use. I found a link to one on youtube, but my paste function isn't working. :thud:Or maybe I'm a dork, and don't know how to copy a link.
default_whistling.gif
It's titled "draft horse sled" and they're pulling over a stubble field or pasture. I like your set-up better, as it has the shafts. The one in the video is a traces and chains set-up, so no braking system. Breeching won't function without something to set back against!

The other thing I like about the youtube video.....it's a big Spanky pulling it!!

Hi Julie!

Here in NC, a draft horse "sledge" or sled or drag or ??? (and even the Otter sled) can be used w/o shafts on the sand and even in the grass - especially on the flat. Down hill on grass or mud - either shafts or not on the hills at all. On snow (slick and slidey or icey type conditions), I'd definitely want shafts (or again, not on the hill or packed/icey snow at all). Even where you are at, I'd think if you loaded it with wood that you are moving around, Spankey could pull it up/down hill w/o using shafts. I suppose I could be wrong. And yes, it's my understanding that the Otter type sled works really well in mud.

I, too, liked the link that showed how to hook up the shafts. NEAT.

I've been looking at an idea to use a tongue for the Otter Sled BUT think that the sled itself is too small/light for our ponies to pull as a pair (off to the races - as in charioteering!).

Here are 3 pics of the draft horse sled Bell & Bit pulled - and with a much larger "tiny" Belgian and an even larger Belgian...
default_smile.png
RR - forgot, I can no longer attach pics to this forum.... GGGRRRR...

OK, well you can see them at these links - All 3 of these taken in 2010.

Tiny

Bell and Bit

Rex & Belgian (s) - and it's a PAIR pulling it!! I remember how well the girls (mine) did when pulling it - it scares me to think of this pair pulling it!!

"I've been looking at an idea to use a tongue for the Otter Sled BUT think that the sled itself is too small/light for our ponies to pull as a pair (off to the races - as in charioteering!)." (paintponylvr)

But Paula.....you're family is very adventurous. They go to ComiCon and other fantasy things. Couldn't you somehow use charioteering as a way to pull them back into horsey activities??

"C'mon you guys, let's dress up like Romans and conquer the zombies!!" I know your ponies are getting quite desensitized to shotgun fire, since the neighbors have their shooting lanes just across the fence. You even have pictures of them supervising some of the practice sessions.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a used one of these that I can use here. Spanky and I need to earn our keep here.
default_risa_suelos.gif

I love this!

I saw a gal who runs "Team Radar" on FB do a similar modification to an OtterPro "sleigh." I so badly want to make our own! Hubby agreed, but I think he knows deep down VA hardly gets enough snow to justify the labor *chuckle*

Can't wait to see it hooked up!
default_smile.png

Back