My newest kitty

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph_D

Reaction score
I found this little guy about 4 weeks ago. He was in a drainage ditch and was just crying like crazy. When we pulled him out (teeth and all :new_shocked: ) we noticed that he was skin and bones, literally. I don't think he would've lasted the night without something to eat. Get him home and he can't hardly walk without his back end going out from under him and he's super weak. I put him in the dog crate with a can of cat food and a coffee cup with some water for the night. I was afraid that he wouldn't make it, he was so bad. Definately the thinnest animal that I'd ever seen, or ever hope to see again.

Here he is the night that we brought him home. We didn't even name him at first because we weren't sure that we'd have a live kitty when we woke up :no:

Here he is, just a week ago. His walking has improved, when he walks instead of runs :bgrin But his back leg has something wrong with it. I can't afford major vet bills, so we're dealing with what we can. He's definately going to be a house cat because he can't climb very well to get away from dogs or anything else. He can't even scratch the left side of his head because he can't lift his leg. He uses it, but it drags a little bit.

Anyhow, here's Weeble, named for the toys that "wobble but they don't fall down" because that's exactly what he does :bgrin Oh yeah, he's cross-eyed too :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Steph! He's so pretty! I thank you for saving him! (what a cute name)

We have a 6 year old boy (fixed) that was thinner than that. (I'm not kidding) He was a tiny kitten and was wild. I caught him and brought him in. He made it and now he weighs 15 lbs! He's a big baby! These "saves" are so worth it!

When we moved to this property, it came with a population of feral cats. I managed to trap, tame and put through the local adoption agency:

23 kittens and 6 adult cats. 3 of the adults couldn't be rehabilitated at the time of capture, so they were returned to my property spayed/neutered. 2 are now friendly, one being indoor/outdoor (and getting along with my 9 indoors), the other strictly outdoor and the other feral is just now letting me touch her 1 out of 5 tries.

We have an adult cat, Reilly age:6, who is having rear motor skill problems. Last summer I noticed he was getting a little wobbly and it progressed and got worse. Vet has done tests to rule out various things and her conclusion is that it is a nerve or spinal problem. Reilly has always been a little uncoordinated and it has just gotten worse over time. He gets cortisone shots, but the last one really didn't help at all.

When he walks, his back legs wobble from side-to-side and he sways. If he tries to go fast, he hops in back and eventually falls over to one side. Jumping down from the couch or bed, he will fall over in a somersault if he doesn't immediately try to move forward, so we keep ramps near the bed and couch for him.

I would suspect that your kitty suffered an injury to his leg or hip that has damaged muscle and/or nerve tissue and that time may allow it to heal and he can regain use. If the damage was very bad, he may never regain full use, but I don't think the vets could do anything for him, other than perhaps cortisone shots (which may or may not work) so just love him and enjoy him. Don't feel bad about not taking him to the vet. You saved his life by taking him in and I'm sure he appreciates that!

Heidi

Steph, he's adorable!! Wonder if there's some Siamese in him somewhere?!!!
biggrin.gif

Good for you for saving him! He looks a THOUSAND times better! He probably has some sort of nerve damage, from what you describe....which may or may not improve.

And I agree that he looks to have siamese in him.

Kuddos to you for all you have done for the little guy!

MA

I agree that he has some Siamese in him, look at those blue eyes
smile.gif
. Does he meow really loud? I LOVE the name!!

Way back when I used to work at the local SPCA, we had a kitten that had a problem walking. He'd stumble along and then fall. He was the sweetest kitten, a real purr machine. We called him Weebles!!!! He was very healthy otherwise. He was adopted out to a special home that didn't have any steps for him to fall down.

Your little Weeble is soooo cute!!!
wub.gif

aktion033.gif
He's so cute!!!! I agree he looks like he could have siamese in there some where. He could have had his hip dislocated. Do you have any friends that are vet techs? You could also just call the vet and ask them some questions about it. Maybe they can give you some pointers without actually going to see them.

Christy

He's adorable!!!
aktion033.gif
And I love the name Weebles!!!
laugh.gif
His ears just crack me up - looks like he'll eventually grow into them, but boy, he sure is a cutie!!!
yes.gif

He's adorable
wub.gif
You are indeed a special person for caring so much!!! Good job, Steph!!
aktion033.gif

Oh, he is VERY cute!!!! I think his cross eyed-ness just adds character. He is a very lucky little guy!!!

cat64.gif

Oh my gosh!! I just love him! What a cutie pie!!! I know many have already said but I want to say again, don't feel bad about not taking him to the vet a good home is 100 times better then nothing! You did a great thing!

My cat lady neighbor took one of her to the vet for a hip problem. He was draging one of his back legs. It cost her 4000.00!
new_shocked.gif
!!! They talked her into replacing his hip!!! She also has a kitty with cancer and takes it to the vet, 2 hrs away, once a month for for treatments! I can only wonder what her vet thinks when she walks through the door!!!
wink.gif

I would have saved him too!!!
biggrin.gif

Leya

I don't think he has Siamese in him...I think he is Siamese- I think he's a red point!! Could be a runt thrown out by some so-called breeder- do you know anyone breeds Siamese?? The hip could be congenital- try MSM if you have it- too expensive to buy specially- or Glucosimine?? Bless you Steph, for doing this.

Aww what a cutie. hes lucky to have someone like you take him in.

I am a vet tech....and if you arent wanting whopping vet bills, i would try some sort of glucosamine supplement to maybe get that hip moving better.

btw it looks like you got your self a flame point siamese!! Im jealous, i have always wanted one!

Oh what a brilliant name I love it!!!!!

My friend had a kitty who was funny in the back end!

She had been bitten by a dog as a tiny kitten, she lived just fine and happy and healthy, she just looked kinda funny sometimes! She did become a very fat indoor kitty because she could not move around too much but boy was she a lovebug!!

Aren't you wonderful helping little Weeble!
wub.gif

Looks like a "grade" siamese flame point and crossed blue eyes are common along with giagantor bat ears
biggrin.gif
love them they are major pains in the arses but still love them.......I have 2 lynx point grade siamese and someday I would love to own a couple purebreds.....

way to go Steph (if I were closer I'd take the darling in a minute)
wink.gif

OH and one of my 2 has a screwy back leg ...think really cowhocked on one side she gets around fine and the shelter the girls came from had the vet check them over so nothing too serious she just walks funny
laugh.gif

I'm so glad you got her in time
aktion033.gif
She might have been hit by a car or shook by a dog and have a fractured pelvis, which will heal in time. They make cosequin for cats you can get it online from valley vet. Keep us updated.

Latest posts

Back