My new wooden cart is finished!! Photos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jules said:
The breeching here is such a tricky thing. I prefer it up a notch and had it like that at a club day, but then it was suggested I should lower it, I did see everyone else's was lower than mine but to my way of thinking, sitting lower is more likely to sweep his legs out from under him which may 'fly' with bigger horses but when your horse is the size of mine, every few inches and weight bearing down on them makes mountains of difference. Actually, now I think of it I think you commented positively about how I had my harness adjusted when I was long-reining on a club day and that was great as it was at that day that I was told I should lower it. I think my compromise may be to just run with it how I had it (and how you suggest, Leia) at home and then when we are on the flat ground at a club day lower it as a token effort
default_whistling.gif
It can be a regional difference as well. I've noticed in Australia and England the breeching tends to be a bit lower than is considered "correct" here in America. I think some of that has to do with the construction of our various traditional carts, and England and Oz would share that history so it shouldn't be too surprising I guess. Still, you're using an American vehicle so I'd say the traditions that were developed for that sort of road cart would probably be the safest ones to follow. Breeching and breastcollar are usually on the same plane here, and with horizontal shafts that's usually the same plane as the shafts so everything looks neat and disappears into one smooth picture. Play with it a bit as sometimes the holdback straps will pull the breeching out of position and you may be forced to use it on one hole or another to get it to lay right. The higher your shafts are on his sides, the more of a problem that's going to be so you may have a hard time of it.
default_doh.gif

Jules said:
I am so pleased that he likes driving so much and I honestlsy have LB members and particularly your posts to thank for that Leia. Really. I can't tell you how many hours I spent trawling old posts to learn as much as I could about training to harness.
Awww....
default_blush.png
It still wouldn't have worked if you hadn't been a good horsewoman and cared about her horse! That's the single most important ingredient.

Leia

Latest posts

Back