My New Barn Pics...from Start to ALMOST Finished

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mona,

Barn looks great! Nice job.

We have a similar storage shed at my uncles farm. It is similar I think the covering is warrenteed for 15 years. The only issues that come up are moisture/condensation. Your wood floor may help minimize that. The other is on a bright sunny day the heat can go up rapidly. Not hard to manage if you are home but tougher if it is cold and cloudy when you leave then the sun breaks thru it can get hot fast if you have things closed up too much. You will have many very comfortable days inside this winter when the sun is out.

Congrats on a nice new Barn!

Sandy, I have never had a problem with a bad urine smell in there. That could be because I don't use my barn year round. I use my barn pretty much during foaling season only, and if others need to be in for any particular reason. During foaling season, I use straw in the stalls, clean the manure a couple times daily, then clean the entire stall bedding out about once a week. Also, it is still usually cold when I have my mares in for foaling, so that too probably helps keep any strong amonia smells to a minimum.

Mona,

Barn looks great! Nice job.

We have a similar storage shed at my uncles farm. It is similar I think the covering is warrenteed for 15 years. The only issues that come up are moisture/condensation. Your wood floor may help minimize that. The other is on a bright sunny day the heat can go up rapidly. Not hard to manage if you are home but tougher if it is cold and cloudy when you leave then the sun breaks thru it can get hot fast if you have things closed up too much. You will have many very comfortable days inside this winter when the sun is out.

Congrats on a nice new Barn!
Yes, we have two similar type shelters that are 12'x20' out on the pasture for the mares. One is white, the other is green. One end is always open, the other closed. It gets hot in there, but nothing the horses can;t handle, as they use it regularily.

That is where the strip vents down the full length of each side will be nice, and the 2 doors we built, as then it can stay open for breezes. But, since I don't use it for much in the summer, other than bringing horses in to trim hooves, I should be OK anyway, and it may feel nice and warm for them in April and May for foaling season.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice, I like how nice and light it is and also what neat stalls! Got some talent there!

Wow mona!!Looks GREAT!!I love the stalls especially. I have wood floors and i LOVE them soo much cleaner, but no hoof polish applying in there lol.

Wow Mona, what an awesome barn and it sounds like an awesome hubby as well.

You did a great job of putting it together.
default_aktion033.gif

You and your hubby have been BUSY to say the least. It looks wonderful
default_aktion033.gif
and in inclement weather and for foaling you will be soooo happy. I too am anxious to see your gang inside, they will think they are at the Ritz
default_biggrin.png
. Yes, the natural lighting factor is a real plus with these types of buildings. \

Your hubby did an amazing job on the stalls. It looks absolutely AWESOME!!!!

It looks great!!! Thank you for sharing your construction pix with us. I can't wait to see your little ones in their stalls!!

Just seeing this now Mona.................that is AWESOME!! Those stalls are beautiful
default_new_shocked.gif
, your hubby did a great job!

Mine is at a standstill right now, the help left, and hubby is working. One top of that, we're now getting ready for up to another 4-6 inches of snow in our area today on top of the 5" we already got, and now they are saying more this weekend! I don't think it's ever going to get done! We're ready to start putting steel on though, if the snow could have just held off another week!

Mona we have one of those buildings in town at the school.

I always wondered if they would work for a barn so I'll be anxious to see how it works for you.

I am thinking that might be the same as Danielle's cover-all she is always talking about.

It's very nice looking, a good addition to your farm and I hope everyone will be nice and cozy in there for winter.

The stalls look familiar
default_biggrin.png
and in Florida, we used the lattice from four foot up to the top for the quarter horses, but back then, it did not come in vinal like it does now so that's an extra plus. I just take a damp sponge to mine and wipe the dust off every so often and it does always stay looking really nice so you are going to love that easy maintenence. I'm new to the idea of the wood floor but that looks nice too.

Glad you will all be nice and warm this winter!

We had one similar to this but unfortunately for us it came down in a very whicked wind storm, I am sure what hit was a mini tornado because those buidlings are strong, I know. Anyway we have replaced ours with a steel buiding, 28 feet by 50 feet and 16 feet high, we keep our hay, our ATVs well, our boats and other things as well. I love it!

Wow Mona, that is great!! I LOVE your stalls! Beautiful
default_yes.gif

Please do post pics of all your horses in there!

oh Mona,

It is terrific! Good for you, I am happy for you! I can'y wait to show my hubby the pictures, I was telling him and my Dad about your barn at dinner last night.

Robin

Mona, we have alot of this type barn here in NY, they are great! I love your interior design! The horses will love it. What kind of bedding do you get up there? You have a really special hubby!

Mona, we have alot of this type barn here in NY, they are great! I love your interior design! The horses will love it. What kind of bedding do you get up there? You have a really special hubby!

Thanks Debs. I use(and have always used) straw as my bedding. I have never had any problem with it, so I will continue using it...horses love nibbling on it too!
default_wink.png

And yes, I AGREE...I DO have a VERY SPECIAL hubby!

Straw will do great in there! I absolutely love the design. Now when do we get pics of the ponies exploring it?

Might not be for quite some time, as I don't stall my horses nightly. I only use the barn when needed or during foaling season. BUT, I just might have to get them all nestled in there for pics!
default_yes.gif
I bought several urine preg tests, so it would probably be easy to get them to do their job for me, if they think they are christening my new barn!
default_wink.png
And it's sol cold out now, those pads will freeze to their butts outside!
default_biggrin.png
First things first though...I need to get a load of straw. I used up all I had left before we tore the barn down, to put in the horse shelters out on the pastures. I have only one bale left that has been sitting outside, so probvably no good anyway. Have to get hay this weekend, so will likely grab a load of straw too.
default_yes.gif

what a neat barn

we bought property and will be moving when we sell our farm

so we have been working on so many layouts have to start small

then expand when we sell here

I love your stalls
default_aktion033.gif

That is a really nice barn!! Love how bright it is.

Also the type of barn, my DH is more able to build on his own.

Do have a question.... how does it handle high winds?

Latest posts

Back