My New Barn Pics...from Start to ALMOST Finished

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do have a question.... how does it handle high winds?
I guess it all depends on what you consider high winds?? I cannot say for sure on this particular one, because it is new, but I have others out in the pasture that are much lighter built in frame as well as covering, and we have had some wicked wind storms and so far, they are still standing! One is wrecked, not by the wind, but from the wind that blew a wooden run-in shelter, smashing it into the portable canvas shelter. It bent the frame and put holes in the cover, but we left it standing anyway as it still offers shelter, and just added another new one beside it. They are anchored down with underground anchors to prevent them from blowing away. Since those smaller ones have survived 6 years of winds so far, and are still going strong, I felt confident enough to select a much heavier duty one as by barn.
default_yes.gif

These were strong winds...we thought a tornado went through, but they said they were just "straight line winds". These winds were strong enough that they uprooted trees, sanpped telephone poles, picked up houseboats out of the water and threw them onto land etc. They were STRONG winds, I know that, just don't know how many mph they were.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost a shed last Fall... winds were 100mph gusts... get a lot of high winds here,, near as bad as the coast because of where we are on the hills above the Columbia River. It funnels and amplifies wind.

This year..just before my wind gage got toasted...again... got a 128mph wind gust.

Of course someone I know farther in the hills and in a valley do not get these kinds of gusts.

Wondered why this place was within our price range.. the wind and being near Trojan.

Hubby will not be able to put anyting up until spring...so please let me know how yours handles the winter. <VBG>

Mona,

Your barn and stalls are just BEAUTIFUL!!

Congrats!!!! :))

Susan O.

Mona,
Your barn and stalls are just BEAUTIFUL!!

Congrats!!!! :))

Susan O.
Thanks Susan...I would have LOVED to have one like yours instead, but it just wasn't in the cards for me! But I can say, I am still very happy with what I got.
default_yes.gif

Great job, and I can't wait to see pics of them in there.Where did you go to buy one of those?
I looked at the different places online to see what I could find, and I ended up going with this one from WeatherPORT.
default_yes.gif

Thanks Mona,

I love your stalls though! Mine are just made out of metal panels. (At least for now. )

Susan O.

default_new_shocked.gif
WOW...that is so-o-o bright and airy looking. There is a huge arena outside of Wichita that is a training facility that has one of these buildings...I mean HUGE! If it can handle a KANSAS WIND then you should be O.K. NEAT!
default_thumbup.gif

That is amazing inside. I don't care for the looks outside, but I LOVE the inside. I'm in awe!!!

We are probably going to be adding onto my barn in the very near future, and I would love to show photos of the stalls and their design to my "barn man" if you don't mind?

Congratulations, Mona, I can tell that your hubby loves you. Alot!

Liz

What a great idea!!! I love it!! Specially love the wood floor...as that's what I would put inside my barn when I get it built or if I refurbish one already standing. I like how light and "sunny" it is on the inside...and the stalls are awesome!

That is amazing inside. I don't care for the looks outside, but I LOVE the inside. I'm in awe!!!

We are probably going to be adding onto my barn in the very near future, and I would love to show photos of the stalls and their design to my "barn man" if you don't mind?

Congratulations, Mona, I can tell that your hubby loves you. Alot!

Liz

Sure Liz, go ahead. I have also (thanks to a suggestion by someone reading this post
default_wink.png
) added a page to my website. It can all be seen by CLICKING HERE.

It may not be the most eye appealing on the outside, but it is far more appealing than the old "eye sore" that was standing there! LOL! Another advantage, is we won't have to pay property taxes on it, as it is a portable shelter.

Very nice! It's looking better and better!
default_smile.png

Thank you, Mona...

Liz

your new barn is so nice the stalls are excuisate adn it looks so cozy in there in the winter
default_aktion033.gif

Mona,

That is AWESOME!
default_aktion033.gif
Great design job and beautiful craftsmanship! My hubby has been trying to talk me into one of this style for a while, but I was not overly interested. But now after seeing yours I've changed my mind. It's looks SO professional and the design is just perfect for minis! They are going to love it!
default_wub.png

Mona.....after reading your story & seeing all the photos.....I just have to say

[SIZE=24pt]You have one VERY patient AND very talented husband![/SIZE]
default_aktion033.gif

I love your stalls....they are just beautiful & your husband did an awesome job on them!

Don't worry about the size....mine are all 8 x 8 & they have PLENTY of room. And mine are stalled every night & sometimes thru the day depending on the weather.
default_yes.gif

I think your hubby deserves something EXTRA special for being so kind & thoughtful & working so hard to please you.
default_wink.png

I just found this thread and love your interior and innovative building.

Now that you've had it a few months how did it fare thru the winter months?

I saw a huge huge shelter like this just 3 weeks ago, in our area......

I cannot remember how much the gal said it cost....she was a boarder there.

It was many 1000's though - but it was huge - it was a full size riding arena.

Attached it each side were aisleways with stalls down each side of it.....

We had the horrible, and very weird hurricane force winds go thru here

in December and I asked the gal how it withstood the December winds.

She said no problem.....there was all kinds of damage in the community but

this building took the beating with no problem......

It had some sort of tensioners on it that they did have to tighten down after.

I was impressed.and it was so light and airy inside. They did have lights for

night riding but needed no electricity in the daytime, even on cloudier days.

Congratulations on to your husband for his lovely craftsmanship....a lot of

pride in his work going on there.....

Thanks agains everyone. Now that we have had it, I still have not used it much. I do not stall my horses daily...they only go in for foaling season, so have not yet gotten there. I did use it to put a couple of horses in from Texas though, as they arrived in the midst of our nasty cold winter and had to be blanketed and I kept them in on the real bad days.

The only problem I see at this time, is because it is so light inside, and quite airtight, the heat builds up in the daytime, and then a heavy layer of frost forms on the inside. Pretty much the same as condensation but in the frozen form! LOL! Then it falls onto the floor into the stalls etc. I do not like that at all, but as I said, so far, no horses in really so it didn't matter much. BUT, we are discussing what we can do to prevent it next year. We opened the vents above the doors, so that is helping right now, but maybe over the summer we will get some type of insulation placed in there and then try to seal it off as best a we can to try to keep it from frosting up so much.

It withstood the snow really well, and all the snow just rolled off by itself.

Gosh...how bright and airey. There is a HUGE one at a very big horse farm near Wichita. I think it is their riding arena, but with our winds out here i do not think it would last long. It looks like you are in a more sheltered area then me, for sure but it is very nice....i showed hubby the stalls
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back