My new wooden cart is finished!! Photos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is 34.5. My absolute doll. He's also the guy in my avatar.

You'll LOVE it!!!
Same size as my guy...well more or less...he is 34.5 at the wither, but having said that, he is a pony type so I use the term 'wither' loosely -his wither ad back are exactly level. lol

Aww I love that he is your 'doll'. I love it whe people are madly in love with their horses, it makes my own obsession and devotion to my pony seem normal too.

Are your wheels the 24" (26" incl. the rubber)? I sized up in case I ever needed to put a bigger pony to it and got the 26"(28" incl. rubber) but from all my measurements the shafts will be nice and level on him even with the wheels being a smidge bigger.

Same size as my guy...well more or less...he is 34.5 at the wither, but having said that, he is a pony type so I use the term 'wither' loosely -his wither ad back are exactly level. lol

Aww I love that he is your 'doll'. I love it whe people are madly in love with their horses, it makes my own obsession and devotion to my pony seem normal too.

Are your wheels the 24" (26" incl. the rubber)? I sized up in case I ever needed to put a bigger pony to it and got the 26"(28" incl. rubber) but from all my measurements the shafts will be nice and level on him even with the wheels being a smidge bigger.
I think they are the 26" ones. We also have another wooden road cart that has 20" wheels but it's built differently than mine is.

They will have peg-legs and parrots and spill rum on it for sure...gahhhhhhh.

Thanks Peggy, you gave me a giggle. DH just emailed the importer about something else but asked after my cart for me while he was at it, awaiting a response, hopefully the answer is 'Sydney', rather than 'Pirate Cove'.

Hey, nice new profile pic btw

I tell you, I can't wait to try it, having no suspension at all in my current cart hurts my back and jolts the shafts.

My only regret with my new wooden cart is that I didn't upgrade the suspension for durability and for my chunky-ish butt. I didn't even think of it at the time, but most people seem to find the standard suspension works out okay so I am sure it will feel like floating on clouds wrapped in marshmellows in comparison to my current 'ride'.
I'm hoping you get it soon.I hate waiting myself.And by the way..I AM VERY ENVIOUS..LOL..I haven't got a cart yet,but Isaac isn't ready for one anyway..And Thank you
default_cheekkiss.gif
for the compliment on my new picture..A friend was over with her husband and children.He's a photographer and sent me this picture of Isaac in black and white..I was telling him how much I love black and white photography and he listened..lol..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping you get it soon.I hate waiting myself.And by the way..I AM VERY ENVIOUS..LOL..I haven't got a cart yet,but Isaac isn't ready for one anyway..And Thank you
default_cheekkiss.gif
for the compliment on my new picture..A friend was over with her husband and children.He's a photographer and sent me this picture of Isaac in black and white..I was telling him how much I love black and white photography and he listened..lol..
Isaac is so gorgeous!!! fancy photo or not I bet he is lovely. How is he coming along?

I have one of these exact carts (but with wire wheels) and LOVE IT! Note however - tighten all the nuts on occassion! We had a minor incident (that would have been major, except had a very well trained horse in the shafts) when the seat spring came apart! This was after a year of heavy use, I didn't check all nuts and bolts before the first spring drive.

Probably a good note for everyone, before starting in spring, check over your cart, tighten all nuts / bolts / wheels, etc. and just make sure everything is ready to go!

I have one of these exact carts (but with wire wheels) and LOVE IT! Note however - tighten all the nuts on occassion! We had a minor incident (that would have been major, except had a very well trained horse in the shafts) when the seat spring came apart! This was after a year of heavy use, I didn't check all nuts and bolts before the first spring drive.

Probably a good note for everyone, before starting in spring, check over your cart, tighten all nuts / bolts / wheels, etc. and just make sure everything is ready to go!
I got the wire wheels too so I could swap them out if there was heavy footing and the wooden wheels were digging in too much. Hopefully they are not too tricky to change over when needed.

An excellent reminder to check things regularly. Glad everyone was okay.

The spring is the one thing I wished I had of upgraded, don't know why I didn't, must have got caught up in the aesthetic details too much...ooops.

My cart is in Sydney!!! The shipping container is being unloaded on Monday. Unsure how painful quarantine will be in SYD with it yet, so may incur an additional fee if they decide it needs to be 'treated' before release
default_ohnoes.jpg
Customs already whacked me with a ridiculous fee.

In any case, it will be available for pick up Wednesday morning
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

It has been four months of waiting, wow, can't believe it is really nearly here

YEH
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
..I know how excited you are..And these last few days will be the longest..
default_impatient.jpg
Jules,you win in the patience department
default_firstprize.gif
Keep us undated..

IMAG0627.jpg

It is here and built! The kids wanted to ride this afternoon so I didn't have time to drive, but hopefully on Friday as I have the day off then. I am very happy with it, looking forward to actually taking it for a drive
default_smile.png

OH MY GOSH..What a nice cart..And I LOVE your little Mini..Have fun Friday,as I know you will..Glad you FINALLY got it.

IMAG0627.jpg

It is here and built! The kids wanted to ride this afternoon so I didn't have time to drive, but hopefully on Friday as I have the day off then. I am very happy with it, looking forward to actually taking it for a drive
default_smile.png
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp
default_thumbup.gif
I'm so excited for you. That cart is lovely and looks AWESOME with your little darling. Can't wait to see pix of you driving it!

OH MY GOSH..What a nice cart..And I LOVE your little Mini..Have fun Friday,as I know you will..Glad you FINALLY got it.
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp
default_thumbup.gif
I'm so excited for you. That cart is lovely and looks AWESOME with your little darling. Can't wait to see pix of you driving it!
Thanks
default_smile.png
It was a long wait from when I ordered it in March, but so worth it. It is just a beautiful little cart, I am a lucky woman
default_smile.png

No drive for me tomorrow though (boooo!) have ended up working instead. Hopefully Saturday!

Oh, wow, it is gorgeous!! I applaud your patience because it seems like a very long time to ME since you ordered it. And now you have wait yet another day..... It WILL be worth it, I know.

OMG - it's beautiful! So much like a piece of art that it almost makes you not want to take it out in the open to drive.

Can't wait to hear to hear how it rides!! Guess tomorrow is the day?

I have had two drives now
default_smile.png
I snuck out yesterday quickly. It felt a little goofy (but comfy!) on the first drive as my seating position was higher than my existing cart, I just went out again today and felt great in it. I kept cringeing if there was a pot hole in the road we were going to drive over but then remembered I have suspension now.
default_wub.png
I wasn't happy with how the breeching was on the first drive (dodgy wrapping on my behalf) and tweaked it for today's drive.

The driving position felt really lush for me, nice leg room, comfy seat. I have a photo to load, but don't snigger at me, I am a bit mortified how chubbo I am at the moment- funny how pics make you realise. Ooops, too many night shifts eating my head off to stay awake.
default_blush.png
Best be doing something about that....

It is also a 'DH photo' which means he was taking a photo as I was getting adjusted with reins etc.

Will also post a video of the kids and I tooling around with the cart in my driveway this morning. The horse and dog were let out and 'free ranging' and one little horse didn't want that dog in on any cart action.

IMAG0647.jpg

Fabulous! Oh, he looks so elegant in the hitched picture! Love it. And you are not fat.

You know you've done something right in your training when your loose horse trots along behind the cart going "Mine! Why are YOU pulling that, it's MINE!" and warning away competition.
default_wub.png
Good job, Jules!

You've got everything hitched very nicely, the only suggestions I'd make would be to lower the breastcollar a little bit, put the saddle a tad further back and perhaps raise the breeching a notch. You've got the shafts balanced perfectly! I was afraid it was going to be a little too high for him from the first picture but it's not. Yay!

Leia

Oh Jules, you just look fantastic in your new cart.
default_thumbup.gif
.I just love your Boy..
default_wub.png
Cart fits him well..Can't wait to see the video..Now you'll NEVER be home...lol..You'll be out carting.

hee hee yes, I rather think so Peggy. Can't wait to see your little guy when he gets going, he is one spunky little equine!

You've got everything hitched very nicely, the only suggestions I'd make would be to lower the breastcollar a little bit, put the saddle a tad further back and perhaps raise the breeching a notch. You've got the shafts balanced perfectly! I was afraid it was going to be a little too high for him from the first picture but it's not. Yay!

Leia
hurrah! Glad you replied Leia, I was looking for a bit of feedback.
default_wub.png

The breeching here is such a tricky thing. I prefer it up a notch and had it like that at a club day, but then it was suggested I should lower it, I did see everyone else's was lower than mine but to my way of thinking, sitting lower is more likely to sweep his legs out from under him which may 'fly' with bigger horses but when your horse is the size of mine, every few inches and weight bearing down on them makes mountains of difference. Actually, now I think of it I think you commented positively about how I had my harness adjusted when I was long-reining on a club day and that was great as it was at that day that I was told I should lower it. I think my compromise may be to just run with it how I had it (and how you suggest, Leia) at home and then when we are on the flat ground at a club day lower it as a token effort
default_whistling.gif

You were afraid the shafts were going to be high- I have lost sleep over that same issue, as in literally laid awake at night. lol

Yes, I am obsessed with my mini
default_yes.gif
It was such a gamble to upsize the wheels to 26", from my measurements, it was *just* going to work out but I worried that it was a foolish choice and I would have been in such a pickle if it hadn't played out. I had months of fretting about it, even after it came and I hadn't yet driven in it, I was STILL worried. Yes, it is beautifully balanced, set up how it is....phew flippin' phew......

I am so pleased that he likes driving so much and I honestlsy have LB members and particularly your posts to thank for that Leia. Really. I can't tell you how many hours I spent trawling old posts to learn as much as I could about training to harness.

Latest posts

Back