My New Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I LOVE your new black mare! She is just gorgeous!! How about Gorgeous Little Diva!!

And Arrow is so handsome! Their braids are too cute!

How are you ever gonna sleep tonight? You must be sooooooo excited!! And I’m excited for you!! Congrats on your new babies!!

I LOVE your new black mare! She is just gorgeous!! How about Gorgeous Little Diva!!

And Arrow is so handsome! Their braids are too cute!

How are you ever gonna sleep tonight? You must be sooooooo excited!! And I’m excited for you!! Congrats on your new babies!!
That’s really cute! I love the name Diva, only problem is my dog is named Neeva so it might sound similar and I might get an animal I don’t want when I call either one of them lol 😂 haha I had to braid them as they were really needing a brush, and now they won’t get all tangled. Arrow’s mane is super soft and silky and fine, a bit greasy but I’ll fix that in the spring. Turns out they came off a reserve where they were living wild for their whole life, so I basically have two wild horses lol! I’m thinking Bella for the mare but I still don’t know! I thought maybe Jasmine but then she came and I don’t think it fits…uggghhh this is so harddd

So I have a concern about Arrow. It seems like he has “cow hocks”, can this condition be fixed? Might it go away since he is only two? If it doesn’t go away or can’t be fixed, will he be lame or will he be able to learn tricks, jumping etc? It’s mostly in his back legs, his fronts are almost normal. Here are photos: 283D8C7B-0786-4EC0-A557-EEB167E37C9C.jpeg219ECE70-7828-4C49-B400-A21073F0BB81.jpeg

He's close behind - which can be a result of little muscling, so it might improve as he gets more muscle. He's also really toed out.

However, his hind feet do need attention and you might find that getting those toes shortened will allow him to stand more normally. The toes are REALLY long.

My understanding is that this sort of stance/conformation is less likely to cause soundness issues than the reverse (sickle hocks/toed in). Hopefully someone with more experience in how minis tend to mature in/out of this type of issue will weigh in. There could be a nutritional component, sounds like there was little intervention while he was being "hatched". But the fact that he's still growing and maturing is a plus, if you can get him good hoof care and proper nutrition now, you may see lots of changes as he grows.

He's close behind - which can be a result of little muscling, so it might improve as he gets more muscle. He's also really toed out.

However, his hind feet do need attention and you might find that getting those toes shortened will allow him to stand more normally. The toes are REALLY long.

My understanding is that this sort of stance/conformation is less likely to cause soundness issues than the reverse (sickle hocks/toed in). Hopefully someone with more experience in how minis tend to mature in/out of this type of issue will weigh in. There could be a nutritional component, sounds like there was little intervention while he was being "hatched". But the fact that he's still growing and maturing is a plus, if you can get him good hoof care and proper nutrition now, you may see lots of changes as he grows.
Okay I’ll look into that and get his back feet at least done. He was wild on a reserve till Jan so that would be why he didn’t have intervention, and he was also not handled much at the rescue as they have many animals to look after.

It is possible his feet have never been trimmed. Does he let you handle them?
They were trimmed, the rescue said they were semi up to date. I’ve been able to handle them for a few seconds, haven’t tried for longer yet but they said he’s pretty good for trimming

Latest posts

Back