My nephew, the crab boat capt. that was lost at sea

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
Hi, all,

Well, I know there were a lot of posts about this when it first happened that morning (I felt like you guys were all right here with me as I was HERE when I got the call, uploading pics of our new colt), and so I thought I'd share a little update.

There was a little fund set up for his fiancee and son, Lake, at a local bank, for people to donate to, which is nice.

Also, there is apparently an investigation into the response time of the US Coast Guard since they seem to have made it on scene rather late considering all the other details (I myself have no opinion either way, as there is no way to know right now whether Craig died in the impact or was subject to drowning and/or hypothermia, there has been no release from the autopsy in that respect). I do halfway hate to hear this as I know those men and women do all that they can and make great sacrifice repeatedly in the line of duty, even when a person puts themselves in peril willingly.

I was online looking at a website belonging to a local boat owner/someone who knows them, and they had been taking photos last Summer on one of the boats in Bristol Bay, where Craig worked in the Salmon industry when Crab season was "off". I was just browsing through their photos when this person had two photos of Craig in their gallery under "I think he goes by Boots" (his nickname).

This is opportune as I just found out last night that his photo albums were on the boat with him, and he had some beautiful photos I was hoping to be able to borrow and scan, and with them, were most of the photos of him as an adult. The pics kind of shocked/surprised me as I really was just looking at them for pics of the people I know that we also know on this boat (the F/V Maverick, one of the boats from Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel. Craig also fished on this boat and the owners knew him well. One of the crew members, Hiram, was a good friend of Craig's.)

I think you can see in his photos his love of life and his enjoyment in what he's doing (here shown on a Bristol Bay Salmon gillnet boat from Summer, 2005):

Craig.jpg

Tying up the boat to sell their load of Salmon to the purchasing/tender boat.

Craig2.jpg

Putting "brailer" bags in the hold to store the Salmon for the next trip. The little floats are what keeps the net floating/extended on the water.

I'm glad these photos exist since so many of them doing what he loved have now been destroyed. Last night we were at a friend's house and there was the orphan stack of crab pots that had been left in the ocean when Craig's boat went down. Another boat owner brought them in, but it was very hard for his uncle to see that, as well as to go past the place where his nephew lost his life. It makes it all very real, and though it seems it should feel real from day one, it is not so. A sudden loss like this seems to take almost a lifetime to sink in.

Thanks for "meeting" Craig and thanks for everyone who's been so supportive and understanding. Guesss you never know where someone will sort

Liz

Aww sweetie, i'm glad you found those pictures to share with us, it is so nice to put a face with a name and truly remember =) I am horrible at saying meaningful things and usually stumble over my own foot so i'll keep this short and simple, **hugs** =)

Thanks, MiniHoofBeats...yeah, I wanted to share a pic or two that showed what I felt was his spirit since there is this "gap" between us of cyberspace.
default_smile.png

Turns out we have very few that I could easily find, and those were older. I always took it for granted that I could borrow his boat/fishing photos and now they are gone forever.
default_sad.png

Liz

It's nice to finally put a face to Craig's name. Thank you for sharing, Liz.

MA

Liz, thank you so much for sharing those photos. He sounds like he was a wonderful man. Those are pictures you will cherish forever. Corinne

Thanks...that top pic is especially bittersweet.

That is pretty much the smile he had whenever he showed up for a visit or we would see him while out and about town.

Can almost hear his hearty "hey buddy (how he would hail my sons)" or "hey Aunt Liz/Uncle Marty" when I look at it.
default_smile.png

His voice was loud and deep, *LOL* most times I could tell what he was saying on the phone even when I was not on the phone w/him and my husband or son was.

I'm going to email these photos to his family as well, as I'm sure they are pretty much unaware they were out there hosted in this somewhat obscure place.

Liz

Liz -

I'm sure this was hard for you to post, and I want to thank you for sharing these pictures with us, as well as sharing Craig's story.

I'm glad you were able to find at least a few photos of your nephew ... it's obvious from the pictures that he had a strong passion for life. Again, I am so sorry for your family's loss ... these photos will help remind you how much he loved what he did.

Liz R.

I did not know him, but I sit here with tears rolling. What a lovely being he was, and what a huge loss, his leaving. How awesome that you found these photos. I'm so sorry Liz. {{{Hugs}}} to you all

Thanks for posting those pics of Craig...I never did have a face to put on the posts you wrote or the news reports on TV, but now I do and it makes it just seem that much more "real" (if that makes sense). Again I am sorry for your loss.

The part that struck me was his eyes. He has smiling eyes, and smiling eyes means a kind and generous heart.

I know I would have liked to know him. Thanks for sharing.

Maxine

Liz,

How wonderful of you to share the photos so we can put a face to the name and the stories we heard about. It does make it all the more real and that is how memories are kept alive. I hope your family finds healing in these little treasures.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments and for "getting to know" him even though it's too late to do so in life.

We went and spent some time with Jessica (his fiancee) and his son, Lake at the local pool/aquatic center. I printed those photos for her and she was so thrilled to have them and little Lake was happy to see "Dada". Very hard to keep it together, but we really didn't much discuss the loss, instead we focused on the little ones and maybe spending some more time together again tomorrow. Jess has found a house to rent in the same little town of Hammond where they lived before they lost their rental apt. in the struggle to stay afloat before crab season finally started. Jessica had not seen these photos before, though, and she was really happy to see them.

You're right, Maxine, he had very smiling eyes and I think it's what made people enjoy his company and his sense of humor so much. He really LOVED living and he loved working, too, so it was hard on him when his working was not helping him and his family to live, that is when he had the roughest patches.

Went and saw some of the people that worked around and with him and again it was nice to have that camaraderie w/them as well as the sense of shared loss (misery loves company, it seems so true), and yet we have a lot of reasons to be happy again, too.

default_smile.png

Liz

Hey Liz, I'm so glad you posted these photos -- and what luck that you found them! I get such a strong sense of who he was from seeing him, and I can just hear him greeting you all.

I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm also thankful that you had him for at least that short time.

Last edited by a moderator:
May God Bless his Soul.
default_sad.png
Such a handsome man.......such a loss. You can tell in the pics that he loved life and loved what he was doing.

Ah Liz, thank you fo sharing him with us. I'm sure he will be sorely missed but these pics do seem to capture him.

I'm glad you found those pictures, and so sorry for you and your families loss, Kathy

Liz,

As hubby and I were in bed flipping thru channels we saw the deadliest catch on and I thought of you and your nephew, and that family.. we will continue to pray for your whole family and his fiance and son.. how devastating for them, and you all... prayers still coming your way

Those photos made me sad.... he looks kind of like my husband and they both have that mischievious smile!

At least he died doing what he loved to do.

Very sad a young man losing his life like that... I know my hubby, also, is a real risk taker but he never thinks it will happen to him. This reminds me that it can.

Thanks for sharing this.... It makes my Thankful for my life, no matter how hectic it sometimes is!

Liz,

What a gift to have found those photos. Thank you for sharing them. You're right, he does have the love of life shining out of his eyes. He obviously was doing something he loved. That he died doing it was tragic but at least he was doing something he had a passion for. I hadn't heard that he had a son and fiance. How hard for them. Give that young Lake a hug for me! I hope he has Craig's eyes.

Back