My mare acting like a stallion when pregnant?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All Decked Out Mini Farm

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
Hello Everyone, Mackenzie here!

I just wanted to share this story with you guys, been a crazy experience for me!

When I bred my mare, Dream in february of 2011, up to the 4th month, she has been acting like a stallion. Would try and mount mares, sniff the mares, all the things stallions do when around a mare. I was so shocked when seeing her do this. I couldn't even take her on walks with other horses. My friend is a member on here, and I told her what was happening, and she looked up on this website what it means when mares do this, and some said they will have a colt, and some said that they will have a filly. I am just really excited to see what Dream has, and then see if she does this again next breeding season. But boy has this been a crazy year.

Has any of your mares done this before?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes one of my mares did it for a few months after she was bred, I did the ring test on her and it says filly but I will just have to wait and see. It will be interesting to see if both our mares have the same sex foals
biggrin.gif

Huh, Never heard of a ring test, might have to look into that. Yes it will be very interesting to see! Could you show me pics of the foal when it arrives? I love to see lil foals!
default_wub.png

the ring test is just some fun but lots of people say it works, tie a ring to a piece of string and hold it over the mares spine, if it swings in circles it is a filly, if it goes backwards and forwards it is a colt.
biggrin.gif
Mine isn't due until May

I have had several mares behave this way while pregnant. Some have had fillies, others colts. It is hormonally driven.
default_smile.png

About the time I decided this was a surefire way to predict a colt, the last mare had a filly LOL. Hormonally driven, as Connie P said. Only thing predictable about mares in foal, is their unpredictability.
default_smile.png

Jan

Just the day before yesterday one of my bred mares was mounting one of the open mares. She's the 3rd mare I've had do this over the years. The first mare ended up having a colt and the other a filly.
default_yes.gif

Wow, so lots of people have had this happen before I'm guessing. This is the first for us. Wonder if Crystal will do it.
default_unsure.png

That ring test sounds fun to at least try. Thanks for telling me!

I have a mare that does this anytime shes pregnant and shes had both colts and fillys. My friend laughed at my mare and then about three months later her mares were in their paddock... in a train... on on top of the other... 5 of them!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png

Yep here too! I'm glad we don't live on a major highway!

The few times I've had it happen here, I've checked the one being mounted and found her to be in heat. So at least here at my place pregnant mares are pretty good at picking out the mares that are in heat which is helpful to me as then I know who's pregnant and who's not! Mine usually only do this fairly early on in their pregnancy when they are adjusting to the changing hormone levels.

Thats exactly what Dream did, She only mounted the mares that were in heat. Helped me though! She ended this stallion thing when she was about 4 months, so she was adjusting to her hormones I guess.

and Iguess I'll save my money on a pregnancy test for her next time around,as it seems like I know what this means when she does it. Bonus! This Mare is also bottom of the pecking order, so it is especially odd to see her jumping on mares above her in the order. Mares are a hoot.

Back