My Maiden Mare, do you think she is close?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
Ok, I had posted a few pictures a couple of weeks ago of my mare but am curious to see what you think now. To just look at her she almost doesn't look pregnant to me. I know she is as that baby has been really active up until the last few days. Today she looks less pregnant from behind to me but a little lower in the belly I think. Her bag has definitely increased. What do you all think? I am putting pictures in that were taken on sunday and then today. Here we go.

June Bug from the side April 12th

junebugside041209.jpg

June Bug from the side on April 14th

junebugside041409.jpg

June Bug's rump April 12th

junebugrump041209.jpg

June Bug's rump April 14th

junebugrump041409.jpg

June Bug's bag April 12th

junebugbag041209.jpg

June Bug's bar April 14th

junebugbag041409.jpg

June Bug's Vulva April 12th

junebugnoonie041209.jpg

June Bug's Vulva April 14th

junebugnoonie041409.jpg

What do you think of her size? Do you think a small baby? She is 4 years old and about 32" tall and again a maiden mare.

She's getting there but still looks like you have some time. When is she due?

Not till May 1st which will be 340 days. She just seems so small to me everywhere else. Just hiding baby well I guess.
default_wub.png
She has been very restless with lots of yawning, tail popping, butt pushing and rubbing, and belly kicking. I am watching her closely but curious about what others think. Thanks for the input!!
default_saludando.gif

I tell ya what, those darn maiden mares! Especially if they are young like yours! They just hide it in the belly so well, and sometimes never do look like they have dropped! Her bag is getting there. You may notice that it is bigger in the morning and smaller in the evening. Will she let you gently squeeze out a drop or two? It will turn from clearish to milky looking yellowish, and if you pat your fingers together on a drop, it will be really sticky. It will get stickier the closer she gets to foaling. She must be a sweetheart to stand there so good for you to photo her in her "privates"! One other sign I like to look for is what color it is just inside her vulva area. If it is a light pretty pink, she isn't ready yet. When it turns a deep rose, almost purplish, she is very near to foaling. Also, many of my mares start pooping "cow patties" instead of "road apples" the night before they foal. When I see the pudding poop, I stay up that night! It has never done me wrong!

Best wishes on your Mare Stare!

Thank you Pepperhill. She is a real sweetheart. She lets me do everything with her. I have been taking pictures of inside her vulva but it is still a pink shade although brighter than my other mares but still pink. I am also able to get a clearish yellowish fluid out of her teats. She is fine with all of it, I don't even need a halter. I hope she is as good with baby. I have been watching close for the poop as well but last year my maiden mare didn't have any soft poop at all before she foaled so not reliable for me. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
default_saludando.gif

My guess is not yet.... see how her nipples point 'in'. When they start to point straight down, then you are really close. You might also even notice that her bag swells more in back, like you can see it between her back legs almost 'sticking out'....... She is close, but I think you have a few more days to go- just watch her closely. I start checking mine a.m. and p.m. when they get this close.

Back