My horse was stolen and sold

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just_4_kixx

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I took a mare (full size) to training. I made a deal to have my mare broke to ride, for a mare I have that’s already broke to ride. I told the “trainer†that I would sign off on the “red†mare, once the “paint†was broke to ride. I didn’t think that there was going to be a problem.

For the first time in eight months I went to the local monthly horse sale. I was there with a friend, and watched my “red†mare come in the ring. My jaw hit the ground. I got up and walked to the brand office. I asked how my horse was sold with out my permission. That’s when my eyes were opened!

I found out that in the state of Montana that a non branded horse can be sold at any given time. If your horses aren’t branded it’s IMPOSIBLE to prove ownership. I have a list of names I need to turn in like my vet who’s taken care of her, my neighbors, those who were around when I bought her three years ago and so on. I turned in pictures of her at my house, and even still, I wait to see if I’m granted ownership of my own horse.

I found out that having your horses branded is really the only way to own your horse, and prevent it from being stolen and sold at a local auction. Here’s where I was shocked. If my mini’s or my full size horses get out, and someone takes them home, with out a brand on it to prove that I own it, they can claim it. They can sell it. They can do what ever they please with that horse. Even though I have registration papers on it, have the blood type, I don’t have a brand to prove it was from my ranch. I was also told that if I sent a mare off to be bred some place, and they call and say the mare died, with out me having proof of some kind, and just taking their word, they could’ve sold her at the local auction.

Here’s what I was told. BRAND all your horses if you don’t want them stolen and sold. Microchips won’t cut it. The local sale yards don’t have readers to see if they are chipped. Lip tattoo’s are only good for one year, and again most sale yards don’t look at the lips on the horses.

. The “trainer†runs a Rescue. To most of us, Rescue’s mean some one who prevents horses from going to slaughter, and are against abuse of horses. I guess in this case, she forgot that’s what it meant. My mare was very badly beaten prior to getting to the sale yard, and then was sold to a canner. The brand officer went out to take pictures of her for the court case, and said that the mare was freaking out the minute he walked in the pen. When I bought the mare three years ago she was head shy, but over came it with lots of work. I asked the brand office if I could get ownership back on my horse. He said maybe, but it will take months, and he was sure that it’s something that I wouldn’t want to do. He said she was beaten so bad that she probably won’t come around and trust people again, ever.

To make a long story short, I’ve now learned that I will be heading off to Helena to our local brand office to get a brand registered. I will start freeze branding EVERY horse, donkey, & mule on my place. I’ve never been fond of brands on horses. How ever, after the last 24 hours I’ve just had, I will brand them all over if need be to prove they are my horse, and prevent them from being canned.

Please look into your state laws. Find out what is really needed to protect your horses. I don’t wish the last 24 hours I’ve had on any one. I knew that Montana was a brand state. We need a brand inspection to cross every county line. Even if the horse isn’t branded they need the inspection. What I never realized was that I wasn’t protected in any shape or form of my ownership of my horse.

I will be heading off to court, when I’m not sure yet. I will keep posting as things happen. The one good thing was that I went to the sale yesterday. If I hadn’t, she would’ve gotten away with steeling, selling, and beating my horse, and I wouldn’t have known about it.

I am so sorry about what happened to you and your poor horse - being in Ct on the East Coast where nothing is branded, I need to find out what kind of protection I actually do have- Thank you for sharing your painful story to warn everyone.

What a terrible thing to happen. Amazes me that registration papers, bill of sale, etc have no bearing - makes no sense at all.

Jan

I am so sorry for what happened. I hope you got your paint horse back right?

Amanda

oh, my goodness, this is a horrible story. I really do hope your mare gets home to you. Slaughter is not the answer for her, even though they broke her spirit. I do hope to goodness there is some sort of holding the mare until this is resolved. Get the media involved, that always stirs up people, and may move things along for ya. With all the proof you have, I am astounded they did not let you have her back. And try and go see her to ease her, she is probably so terrified, and maybe seeing and hearing you will help her some.

Good luck

I’m having a hard time dealing with this. I didn’t know there were so many loop holes in protecting our horses. I know that many people are against branding mini’s, but I will now. The only thing I ask is that everyone look into their state laws and please say a prayer for my mare. She didn’t do anything wrong, and didn’t deserve what is going to happen to her. :no:

Sorry to here about your experience.

Here in Australia, most breed societies require that animals are branded prior to registration.Some people freeze brand and others fire brand. You can get them freeze branded so that the mark is bare skin (and skin color) or you can have it done so that it is white.

I personally believe that while the micro-chipping sounds good - in practice the chances of someone at a sale yard scanning to check an unbranded horse would be fairly remote

Brands need to be "visible" for people to take notice of. Things can still happen, but at least it makes inedtification easier. Good luck in court

The brand office panicked. There’s yet another horse sale in Montana on Friday. They wanted my horses pulled from her place ASAP incase she was heading to that sale with the other two.

I called the sheriff’s department, and let them know what happened, so it was on record that I was going to pick up my horses, and I had them on speed dial incase there was a problem. I made sure to take whiteness with me, so I wouldn’t be alone. I went down to her house and picked up the paint mare and another mare I had there that she was buying from me. She lives 90 miles from me. It was 1:30 this morning when I got everyone home.

The paper work has now started. It sounds like this will drag out for a few months. I hope that in the end that she is prosecuted and pays for what has been done.

default_yes.gif
:

What a horrible nightmare! Please keep us posted on things.........

MA

I am so very sorry to hear of this. How frightening for you and your mare... We moved from a non-brand state to Wyoming, a brand state, six years ago. Naturally, none of my horses are branded. I contacted the WY Livestock Board prior to our move requesting information on what I needed to prove these horses were mine. I was told to have several letters from vet/farrier/etc including the photo of each horse with their statements that I was the owner, along with my bills of sale and registration papers. After arriving, I was to contact my local brand inspector for an inspection. I was also informed by the livestock board and the local inspector that having a Permanent Brand Inspection done would be my "certificate of title" proving my ownership should my horse be lost or stolen here, or in any other brand state. I was assured this was what I MUST have should any problem arise, in order for them to be returned to me without delay and without court involvement, and so I had this done on each of my horses. Is this not the same in Montana? After reading your post, I am concerned for my horses as well. I wish you much luck in your upcoming court proceedings and hope that your mare's state of mind can be saved after such a terrible ordeal.

A brand inspection on a nonbrand horse still isn’t a sure thing that you get your horse back. If I hadn’t been at the sale, she would have gotten away with selling my horse. Because my mare is a non brand horse (with a brand inspection), anyone can take her and say that she they raised her. I’m sick about the loop holes in the laws. I’m hoping that in the up and coming months I’ll learn more about them, and find ways to help protect those of us with non brand horses.

I’m going to go up to the yards tomorrow. I’m hoping my horse is still there, and I’ll see for my self up close how she looks. The vet will be at the yards to preg check cows, so I’m going to have him look at her and make note of the cuts and the bumps. That way it’s noted by my vet, for when we go to court. I’m hoping that my mare’s had enough time to calm down and I’ll be able to spend some time with her, and see if I can get her get her to come to me. I know she’s scared. :no:

That is just horrible that you had to go through something like this. Imagine if you hadn't been at the sale! That person should be publicly exposed for their lack of ethics.

I'm not overly familiar with all the laws on branding, etc., in other states, but if the laws are so loose in Montana, it makes you wonder about some of the other states too.

We're in California (the very regulated state - sometimes a good thing!) where this would be harder - not impossible, but harder to pull off.

Here is a link to each states website regarding branding, etc.

Links to livestock brands by state

Again so sorry for what you're going through - hopefully it will be a positive outcome and quickly for your sake.

It took some work last night, but the picture in my avatar is the mare that was stolen and sold. I'll be going up to the stock yards in the next two hours to see what she looks like now. This picture was taken last summer. I'll try to get one of her and post it of what she looks like now.

Wish me luck on getting her back.

~Gina

Wishes for the best of luck in getting your girl back. That poor thing. I hope she knows you when you get there and realizes you're trying to help her.

I feel so horrible for you, this is truly unbelievable and tragic! Your poor mare...she may not trust humans ever again but at least to be back home in familiar surroundings, and near your familiar face and voice. I hope she doesn't get sold like this...how horrible...my prayers are with you!

Please let us know how things go tomorrow??

This is just a thought, can you buy her back from the yard? I think here in Texas you can buy them. I hope your mare is there. Good luck.

What an awful situation! I'm glad to hear you picked up your two mares. Did you get the red mare back?

Tammie

I realize that only have a brand inspection does not stop them from being stolen or sold, but what I was referring to in my post and question about Montana, is the ability to reclaim them when found, or in a situation such as yours, when you were there and saw her. I am confused on why they would make you go through a court proceeding if you have the permanent inspection done. This is putting you and your mare through a lot and I really feel for both of you. Hopefully she will be with you very soon.

:aktion033: UPDATE :aktion033:

I just came back from the yards. I was able to have the mare pulled and kept from going to slaughter. :aktion033: She is now owned by the State of Montana. She will be branded with the state brand tomorrow, and I can bring her home tomorrow afternoon. I won't own her until the court case is all done and over with, but at least she will be in my care. She's cut up on her face, and is limping pretty good on her hind left leg. I was able to have my vet take a look at her, and make notes that he saw her and what she looks like for court.

I'm sure she will be happy to be home tomorrow. I think I may of found a forever home for her if I can't get her to trust humans again. The lady has a huge field that she can spend the rest of her life running free there.

If anyone has any idea how to get a rescue shut down, please fill me in. I want to make sure that this lady doesn't do this to any more horses. My mare didn't deserve this, and I know she can't be the first horse to have this done to her. If this lady really thinks that running a rescue she can beat horses and send them to slaughter, it's NOT a rescue.

Thanks for your help and your kind words,

Gina

Gina,

I dont know if you can shut them down from one case but I have had a few experiences with cases against bird sanctuaries.

The best thing to do would be to take photo's of your mare ASAP get up close photo's and distance photo's showing the entire horse. If possible get on tape that she is limping and if she shows fear of humans now, get that too. Also dig up if you have any previous photo's of you riding her and her being comfortable near people.

File a report against the shelter. It may not shut them down, but they will forever be red flagged and probably will have a few random visits to see if everything is up to code.

Thank the lord she is going home with you! Please send us photo's!!!

Latest posts

Back