My First Rescue In Many Years! Info Wanted!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy's mom

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Two weeks ago my rescue mare arrived!!! I helped with her rescue and I am now fostering her with all intentions of adopting her now that I have fallen for her and her for me!
default_wub.png

I am desperately trying to find out where she came from, if she's registered, if she is indeed in foal and if so when is she due, her age, her name, does she have any specific training etc! Basically just want to know who the heck she is!

Maybe someone out there might read this and know exactly where she (they) came from. Here is what I know......

She was brought to the horrible New Holland Auction about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks ago along with approx 25-30 other broodmares from the same farm!
default_no.gif
From what I hear they were never run threw auction because a broker bought the whole herd before they were run threw. The broker sells to kill buyers! I , with the help of New England Equine Rescue was able to pay her "bail" and another rescue group bailed out 4 others....the rest we hear were shipped to Puerto Rico!! No one will say for sure what they do with them there but lets just say they certainly don't care what kind of shape they arrive in!

I'm trying to make this explanation as short as possible so if you need more info you can check out ac4h.com and click on "broker horses", it will explain exactly what they do. You will also be able to see the other mares they pulled by clicking on "horses in quarantine". I am not looking for anyones opinions about how rescues like this are just putting money into the brokers hands, I agree but the brokers don't give a hoot if the rescues are there or not, they will just sell directly to slaughter, ac4h gives these horses one last shot at living!

OK, enough of that, lets get to this mare!!!

She arrived on a 12 degree day, the DAY AFTER she got on the freezing cold wide open stock trailer in PA headed first to CT then stayed on it all night while the shipper pulled over and slept all night then up to NH and then back down to me in MA!!!!! She stepped off the trailer and I thought, "oh god what did I get myself into!" She was covered in a frozen spray of blood!!!! Chunks of blood in her mane! I would later realize it wasn't coming from her but was either wiped on her or sneezed on her by another horse probably at the brokers! Ugh!!! I had her delivered to my house instead of where I keep my other 3 minis up the street being worried about Strangles! Here she will stay for a month or so using my storage shed for shelter and my yard that just so happens to be completely fenced in. I live in a little neighborhood that is not zoned for horses!! lol Thank God my neighbors love us!!!

I was worried that she might be a lunatic that kicks down my fence or screams for other horses all day and night, what would I do then!

She is a doll!!!! Not a peep out of her! She is so happy and content here!! She honestly acts like she is greatful to me!

I lucked out when the temp rose to 63 degrees the next day, I gave her a warm bath!!!

She doesn't soil her stall, she won't eat her hay off the ground, she won't go out in the rain.....she thinks she's a princess! lol Can you imagine how awful she felt being in those filthy conditions, no wonder she worships the ground I walk on! lol

I have discovered she is blind in her left eye, which is blue BTW. It looks completely normal but she definitely can not see out of it!

She has become VERY attached to me! I find her standing outside my window looking in as if she's just waiting for me to come out and play! And if I go out there when she is not nearby, she comes running and then follows me all around! I just love her so much!

She supposedly HAS been exposed to a stallion. Thats all I was told. Don't know if that means at the auction house or back where she originally came from (my bet).

All I was told was that "it was a forclosure sale". Can't even find out what state they came from! Seems to be very secretive! I understand that the rescue group has to protect the broker in order for him to deal with them but it really stinks!

So here is her description, maybe someone might know something!

She was sent to New Holland along with about 25 other broodmares from the same farm about 3 weeks ago. They ALL had their heads completely clipped! She's a strawberry roan pinto, about 36-37", about 5-6 yrs old (according to her teeth), blind in left eye which is blue.

I have named her "Freedom".
default_smile.png

Thanks for your time! I tried to upload pics but it's telling me they are to big, what can I do?
default_wacko.png

Tammy

I can't help you but I wanted to say

[SIZE=36pt] THANKYOU[/SIZE]

That is from all the horses, BTW, who are snug and warm and safe and always will be.

Thank God for people like you and I hope one day I will be in the position to do the same.

If I lived "across the pond" I should be knee deep , I know, I always was with the Arabs...as it is, at the moment, Thank God, we do not have any Mini Rescues....with the recession looming, however, it can only be a matter of time.

If you want to send me the pics I will upload for you...you need to resize at source...

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Pa. about 1 hr from New Holland. It may be that she came from an Amish farm, here they breed them like puppy mills. I rescued 2 from there about 4 yrs ago they were bag of bones when I got them. They were the same thing part of a dispersal, and they were not telling me what farm they came from. The reply I got was " I cant tell you my sorce or someone might go in and under cut my price" Lorie

There's two mares on there I would love to take.

CONGRATS on saving your little angel.

Last edited by a moderator:
strawberryroanac4h4.jpg

rescuemarereadytocomehome3.jpg

rescuemaregettingreadytocomehome2.jpg

RescueMareday51.jpg

I'll let Tammy talk you through the pictures, but here she is.

This looks to me to me a mare well worth her papers!!

She is a Sabino roan, Tammy, not a true Roan, and looks to be a Chestnut base.

She may well also have Splash, and I would most certainly test her for LWO.

Pretty, lucky little mare.

Again, Thank You!!

Thank you Rabbit for posting the pics! And a big thank you for the correction of her coloring!!

I love the pics of her in the snow, if you get a chance!
default_wink.png

I would LOVE to find her papers!! I'll just keep trucking along and digging!!

Ok so the first 3 pics are of her at the auction house and the last pic is her the second day at my house after she had a bath!!

She is such a doll, I am very lucky to have found her!

Tammy

I live in Pa. about 1 hr from New Holland. It may be that she came from an Amish farm, here they breed them like puppy mills. I rescued 2 from there about 4 yrs ago they were bag of bones when I got them. They were the same thing part of a dispersal, and they were not telling me what farm they came from. The reply I got was " I cant tell you my sorce or someone might go in and under cut my price" Lorie

Hi Lorie

Thanks for your reply. Anything is possible but I doubt that the Amish would take the time to clip all of their heads(?) Seems like someone was trying to give them the best shot in finding homes by showing off their nice heads, something us Mini people would want to see. They all seemed to be in pretty good weight too. Unless of course she is ready to foal today, then I would say she is skinny!

I think a breeder fell on hard times BUT just wish they called a rescue and asked for help instead of sending them to almost certain cruelty!
default_sad.png

Thank you for your rescue 4 yrs ago!!! How lucky for those 2 horses!!!

Tammy

I can't help you but I wanted to say [SIZE=36pt] THANKYOU[/SIZE]

That is from all the horses, BTW, who are snug and warm and safe and always will be.

Thank God for people like you and I hope one day I will be in the position to do the same.

If I lived "across the pond" I should be knee deep , I know, I always was with the Arabs...as it is, at the moment, Thank God, we do not have any Mini Rescues....with the recession looming, however, it can only be a matter of time.

If you want to send me the pics I will upload for you...you need to resize at source...

[email protected]
Thank You so much!!!

Tammy

Just want to add to everyone else............GOD BLESS YOU.

It certainly seems that you and she were meant to be.

You're probably going to have to some research........and it may take some time. Every little bit of info may help in solving the mystery. But no matter what, is sounds as if you have a very precious "diamond in the rough".

I have a few more pics if anyone can resize them and post them for me! I think I overwhelmed "rabbit"! lol

I would also like to ask for opinions on how long to quarantine her!!!??? I was planning a month, anyone think I should go longer?

Also, if you were me, what would be the very first test you would have done for pregnancy?

Thanks a Bunch!

Tammy

PICS ADDED PICS ADDED PICS ADDED

Rabbit posted them for me in her second reply! Thanks!!!

[SIZE=18pt][/size][/SIZE]

Hi Everyone!

Two weeks ago my rescue mare arrived!!! I helped with her rescue and I am now fostering her with all intentions of adopting her now that I have fallen for her and her for me!
default_wub.png

I am desperately trying to find out where she came from, if she's registered, if she is indeed in foal and if so when is she due, her age, her name, does she have any specific training etc! Basically just want to know who the heck she is!

Maybe someone out there might read this and know exactly where she (they) came from. Here is what I know......

She was brought to the horrible New Holland Auction about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks ago along with approx 25-30 other broodmares from the same farm!
default_no.gif
From what I hear they were never run threw auction because a broker bought the whole herd before they were run threw. The broker sells to kill buyers! I , with the help of New England Equine Rescue was able to pay her "bail" and another rescue group bailed out 4 others....the rest we hear were shipped to Puerto Rico!! No one will say for sure what they do with them there but lets just say they certainly don't care what kind of shape they arrive in!

I'm trying to make this explanation as short as possible so if you need more info you can check out ac4h.com and click on "broker horses", it will explain exactly what they do. You will also be able to see the other mares they pulled by clicking on "horses in quarantine". I am not looking for anyones opinions about how rescues like this are just putting money into the brokers hands, I agree but the brokers don't give a hoot if the rescues are there or not, they will just sell directly to slaughter, ac4h gives these horses one last shot at living!

OK, enough of that, lets get to this mare!!!

She arrived on a 12 degree day, the DAY AFTER she got on the freezing cold wide open stock trailer in PA headed first to CT then stayed on it all night while the shipper pulled over and slept all night then up to NH and then back down to me in MA!!!!! She stepped off the trailer and I thought, "oh god what did I get myself into!" She was covered in a frozen spray of blood!!!! Chunks of blood in her mane! I would later realize it wasn't coming from her but was either wiped on her or sneezed on her by another horse probably at the brokers! Ugh!!! I had her delivered to my house instead of where I keep my other 3 minis up the street being worried about Strangles! Here she will stay for a month or so using my storage shed for shelter and my yard that just so happens to be completely fenced in. I live in a little neighborhood that is not zoned for horses!! lol Thank God my neighbors love us!!!

I was worried that she might be a lunatic that kicks down my fence or screams for other horses all day and night, what would I do then!

She is a doll!!!! Not a peep out of her! She is so happy and content here!! She honestly acts like she is greatful to me!

I lucked out when the temp rose to 63 degrees the next day, I gave her a warm bath!!!

She doesn't soil her stall, she won't eat her hay off the ground, she won't go out in the rain.....she thinks she's a princess! lol Can you imagine how awful she felt being in those filthy conditions, no wonder she worships the ground I walk on! lol

I have discovered she is blind in her left eye, which is blue BTW. It looks completely normal but she definitely can not see out of it!

She has become VERY attached to me! I find her standing outside my window looking in as if she's just waiting for me to come out and play! And if I go out there when she is not nearby, she comes running and then follows me all around! I just love her so much!

She supposedly HAS been exposed to a stallion. Thats all I was told. Don't know if that means at the auction house or back where she originally came from (my bet).

All I was told was that "it was a forclosure sale". Can't even find out what state they came from! Seems to be very secretive! I understand that the rescue group has to protect the broker in order for him to deal with them but it really stinks!

So here is her description, maybe someone might know something!

She was sent to New Holland along with about 25 other broodmares from the same farm about 3 weeks ago. They ALL had their heads completely clipped! She's a strawberry roan pinto, about 36-37", about 5-6 yrs old (according to her teeth), blind in left eye which is blue.

I have named her "Freedom".
default_smile.png

Thanks for your time! I tried to upload pics but it's telling me they are to big, what can I do?
default_wacko.png

Tammy

If you want to send me some more, feel free, it's easy enough to do!!!

I'll give you a lesson if you want , but I'll do it in a PM as everyone gets fed up with the repetition!!!

Just want to add my "THANK YOU" for rescuing this lovely mare!!! I can't help with her history, but because she is a pinto, you should be able to get her registered with the Pinto Horse Association (PtHA) anyway. There is a lot of interest in pintos (and 4 nationally pointed shows) in New England. www.pinto.org and www.nepinto.com.

For a pregnany test, an ultrasound would be your best bet, but not all vets have experience doing one on minis. Or you could do a Pregnamare blood test (do it yourself kit for about $40) that covers about 40-100 days after breeding and also do a WeeFoal urine test (about $35 and also do it yourself) that covers about 120-300 days after breeding.

Just want to add my "THANK YOU" for rescuing this lovely mare!!! I can't help with her history, but because she is a pinto, you should be able to get her registered with the Pinto Horse Association (PtHA) anyway. There is a lot of interest in pintos (and 4 nationally pointed shows) in New England. www.pinto.org and www.nepinto.com.
For a pregnany test, an ultrasound would be your best bet, but not all vets have experience doing one on minis. Or you could do a Pregnamare blood test (do it yourself kit for about $40) that covers about 40-100 days after breeding and also do a WeeFoal urine test (about $35 and also do it yourself) that covers about 120-300 days after breeding.
Thank You Targetsmom for all that info!!! Very helpful!

Tammy

Hi Lorie

Thanks for your reply. Anything is possible but I doubt that the Amish would take the time to clip all of their heads(?) Seems like someone was trying to give them the best shot in finding homes by showing off their nice heads, something us Mini people would want to see. They all seemed to be in pretty good weight too. Unless of course she is ready to foal today, then I would say she is skinny!

I think a breeder fell on hard times BUT just wish they called a rescue and asked for help instead of sending them to almost certain cruelty!
default_sad.png

Thank you for your rescue 4 yrs ago!!! How lucky for those 2 horses!!!

Tammy
The Amish might take the time to clip that way. I've seen some minis at auctions that are partly clipped and they are being sold by Amish/Mennonite.

She is a beautiful mare though, and looks extremely happy in the snow
default_smile.png

Thank you for giving her a wonderful home! I wished I could take one of them from ac4, but I was too afraid of brining strangles home to my preggy mares. I don't have a good place to quarantine anyone. I know a bunch of Sweetwater horses went thru the New Holland Mini auction a few years ago, they were pretty mares, but most were sold without any paperwork.

You would be suprised, the Amish are learning to clip heads too for auction....

Latest posts

Back