My first mini - I am fairly new to horses...need guidance!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbminis

Reaction score
I just got my first mini and I am so excited! I am fairly new to horses.

I have been around them at the stables when my kids took riding lessons one year and we owned a large horse for about a year. I never felt comfortable around the large horse (Tessie) so we sold her to a friend who has horses.

I love this new little guy though and I think he will be a great herdsire in a few years. He will be registered AMHA. He is only 3 months old now and about 25 inches tall. I want him to be a good horse and not develop any bad habits due to my inexperience. Here are some questions:

1. What should I do with him every day? I have been brushing him and touching him all over. I walk him some, but he lags behind.

2. He has been wormed, but no shots. What kind of shots will he need soon or is there a general schedule for all horses that I could follow?

3. I bought bermuda hay for him and he is eating "Mare and Foal" pellets. He is also eating some random grass that was growing in the fenced area. Is this a good diet? Is bermuda hay good hay?

Feel free to give advice on any of these questions....I need all the help I can get. I will attach a picture today.

Rebecca

(West Tennessee area)

Your boy is 12 weeks old? Is he still with his mom, or is he weaned? Is there anyone close to you with experience with miniature horses? I bought my first mini and my breeder became my mentor and friend and even though I had experience with big horses, she has been a terrific help and has provided much guidence to me with my miniature horses. I am sure people will be posting lots of information real soon, this forum is terrific.
default_yes.gif
I can't wait to see your photos. Adair

You are in the place where I found myself in April of 2009. I had no experience with having any size horse and between April and October, we went from 0 - 4!!

I'm still learning. I have a long way to go to measure up to some of the other great people on this board. There is so much helpful information that you can use the search function to find. Learning the ins-and-outs of horses in general is a really good place to start. A miniature is adorable and cute at 3 months but he will quickly become a hormonal stallion before you know it. He is *still* a horse with all the good and bad that comes with it. He may only reach 200-300 lbs but a 200-300lb stallion can be every bit as difficult to manage as a 1000-1200 lb horse. If you still have contacts from your days of when your kids were taking lessons (maybe they still are), see if anyone would be willing to help you/mentor you on general horse ownership. If not, put your hands on Horsemanship 101 type books. Horses for Dummies, if that exists!

As far as what to do with him at this age, you're doing a good thing with daily handling, grooming, touching all over. Teaching him to lead is a good exercise. To help him with forward motion, some (including me) will take a second rope and put it under the tail head area. This additional pressure helps to move them forward. I also like to carry something in my other hand that I use to reach behind me and to the horses hind quarter. I personally use a thin 3' dowel rod. You use this to give them a little tap from behind to propel them forward when the lag behind.

I'm still learning about all the hay options out there. I've heard talk of bermuda hay but have no experience with it myself.

Vaccinations are something you should definitely get a vet to discuss with you. Some vaccinations are based on local factors of potential diseases. Get recommendation from other horse owners on vets they use. And if you can find one familiar with minis, you'll be doing really good! I'd get someone out soon just to check his overall health at a minimum.

A little guy as young as yours is going to need a growth feed. He has lots of growing to do. I'm a Purina person, so I'd go with Omolene 300 which is their Mare and Foal growth formula. If you want to avoid sweet feeds, there are also pelleted products. I would personally look for a minimum of 16% protein feed but others say their horses do fine on a 14% feed. Your horse won't always need this level of protein or nutrition but you definitely want it now. The better nutrition he gets now, the better he will grow and develop.

Worming: DO NOT USE QUEST wormer. Quest wormer (as I learned from my vet) has a very small room for error in dosing, meaning you can very easily overdose and do serious harm, if not kill your horse. Most people I know follow a rotational worming program. When I had foals, I followed the recommendation of monthly rotational worming until they turned one. Again, a vet should be able to guide you on what is best for your regional area. You can also have fecal counts done and worm based on those results.

As someone who still considers herself to be a newbie, even after more than 2 years into this journey, I would seriously reconsider keeping this guy intact. I'm not one to beat someone over the head on the matter, but you already have your hands full simply owning a horse as a newbie. Throw in all the additional considerations that go along with having a stallion just complicates the matter. I'm sure there will be more than one who follows me that will say that breeding is NOT for the faint of heart. There are so many horses available in all makes and models, age, gender, quality of breeding, etc. For now, I'm leaving breeding up to those who really have a good understanding of what they're doing. I have been offered two to three different stallions from people who want to find new homes. These are AMHA registered horses with proven records for producing outstanding foals (at least to my eyes). I refused because I'm simply not ready for a stallion. Both in terms of handling and in our current setup.

Lastly, for every question asked, you will get at least 3 different replies/responses. It's the way these things go! Teach yourself as much as possible, speak with others to gain their input and perspective and slowly build your own thoughts and opinions on how you are going to do things.

Welcome to the board and the amazing world of miniatures. I'm totally hooked and don't ever plan to look back!

Last edited by a moderator:
If he's not still nursing, then you definitely need a high protein feed for him. Talk to your local feed store or get in touch with one of the large feed companies like Purina and they can tell you what you'll need.

When mine was a 3 1/2 mo. we feed her the high protein from Purina (it's now reformulated and under a different name so I'm not much help). Plus good hay and she developed fine.

Great response Joy, to Rebecca's questions.

Welcome to the Forum, from Washington, the State, Rebecca

There is pages and pages of archives on most any topic

here, on Lil Beginnings, and new topics everyday....

Jump in, at any time, we were all new to mini horses

at one time.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your baby boy.

We love photos here.

If you watch Little Ribbie or Cassie's threads, where we are

waiting on foals to be born, you might even catch a live birth.

Exciting stuff....

Welcome to the horse world!

I highly suggest the book Getting Your First Horse by Judith Dutson, and not just because she is a friend and my name appears in the credits
default_rolleyes.gif

She wrote it for ADULT first time horse owners and it is loaded with great advice for first time horse owners.

Understand that horses are herd animals and do best with company.

A stallion might not be the best choice for a first horse, please think about gelding him and leave the breeding alone for now. That is a heart breaking process, takes years of experience, investment in top quality breeding stock, and the willingness to risk loss to do it right. Oh, and the investment of much money.

Find a mentor nearby, one who, when you say you are asking a stupid question will say there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Above all, HAVE FUN!!!!

I'm in Tennessee and I'm happy to help you if you need me just hollar.

You couldn't be in better hands hand Marty's. I wish *I* lived in TN!
aktion033.gif

Welcome to the board and congratulations on your first little horse! You have already gotten good, sound advice and I agree with all of it, including the suggestion to geld your boy. No matter how nicely behaved they can be, stallions are still very hormone driven beings who can get the best of you in a hearbeat. Even the tiniest ones.
default_smile.png
Ditto the advice received on breeding....not something to go into lightly, especially in this day and age when so many nice horses can be had for a song.

Marty is close and can best advise you on local hay & feed. If you haven't already, find a good vet and establish a relationship so you don't have to do it in an emergency. Not all vets are well informed on minis, so do be prepared to ask questions and do your own homework.

Hope horse ownership is a wonderful experience for you - I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Jan

still working on pics....

Thanks so much for the great advice everyone. I am so glad there is a forum like this to get some help! I will have many other questions, I am sure. I am so divided on the topic of gelding, and am not sure what to do about it.

Is there a certain age when that needs to be done?

Thanks again,

Rebecca

Welcome to the forum from Southern Illinois!
default_saludando.gif
This is a great place to learn and ask questions. Everyone has given you fantastic advise that I would only replicate. I would like to stress the fact that being a newbie to horses that your experience would probably be much nicer if he was a gelding. Just my 2 cents and after years of experience with horses. Stallions can be a handful expecially once the hormones kick in. Wishing you the best of luck with your mini. Be careful though they are very addicitive!!!

Rebecca, I've gelded 6 month old colts and I recently gelded an 11 yr old stallion so no, not a particular time. The older the stallion though, the more entrenched the behavior and physical characteristics of a stallion. An older stallion will take a little longer to settle down after it's done. Generally, if I know I'm going to geld a colt I like to go ahead and do it before he starts acting studdy....I love my geldings
default_smile.png
That said, I have some stallions I love just as much, but it's an on your toes kind of love LOL.

Jan

Welcome from SE Pa. My one boy was gelded just before he turned one. I had a brief time where I considered keeping him a stallion, he is gorgeous and has excellent bloodlines. Then I thought about it and realized, there are tons of excellent stallions out there with excellent bloodlines, it takes a lot of experience to live with a stallion and I am not a breeder. I watched my boy start to act out his hormones and go from a naive sweet youngster, to a neck flexing "he man" that tried to put the chomp on me. Owners of many sweet stallions decide to geld when the "stud tude" starts kicking in at spring of their yearling year.. It took exactly two small chomps on my person for me to say,
default_doh.gif
duh, what am I thinking? I want a driving boy that is good with my kids, easy to handle and can live peaceably here at my place. I made the gelding appointment that day....Now that said... YES I know that many geldings and stallions can do that same tude thing... but my self awareness was that I am not a breeder, will probably never be and I didn't want the responsibility of owning a stallion and dealing with the hormones and on occasion major tude.

I have no mares here and my boy was still becoming a bit more than I wanted to deal with. I never regretted the decision except for that one split second when the vet says... "Here we go", and there they go.... no turning back then...
default_wink.png

For me, I would prefer to just let the breeders do the breeding. After reading some horror postings of some difficult births this spring, and then reading the amusing stories of trying to get a short stallion to cover a larger mare, and some stories of a seemingly easy going stallion all of a sudden taking turn in attitude and going after somebody....... well you get my gist.

I consider myself a newbie of miniature horses even after several years of owning them now and I am so glad my breeder is still watching over me and answering questions. I had big horses for much of my life. These little dudes are a bit different, but I say.. they are TERRIFIC and I never regret switching to the short horses, they bring much joy to my life.

Call Marty...I have been hawking her postings for quite some time, if she has offered you a mentorship, jump on it! She is terrific and close to you, can't get any better than that.

I can't post photos for some reason, but have been able to sweet talk members into posting photos for me that I send to them by email... Just a thought in case you are still having trouble uploading photos.

Welcome to the wonderful world of miniature horses! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Adair...

Last edited by a moderator:
He is eating Nutrena Mare and Foal, not sure about the percent protein, but I will look it up. I really appreciate all the advice...

Finally.... pics!

gallery_43883_184_20603.jpg

gallery_43883_184_81162.jpg

gallery_43883_184_41216.jpg

I am so divided on the topic of gelding, and am not sure what to do about it.
Just call the vet.

Your colt is cute, but I am going to be brave and tell you that he is not stallion quality, especially in the hind end. I bet he'd make a great gelding, though. I tell you this not to tork you off, but because this is a place for education and learning conformation is part of education. What people see in the movies is not a true depiction of life with a stallion, and I know too many people that have a fascination of having a stud, then come to the realization too late that it is not what they bargained for. If you want a horse that you can "live with", cut the colt.

Welcome from Ontario!
default_saludando.gif
Sounds like you have had some good advice!

In response to gelding, it is your choice. I just wanted to share my personal experience. I have had miniatures and horses all my life and finally made the decision to breed two of my mares back in 2009. I chose two lovely outside stallions for them both and sent them off. Neither were bred by the end of the year, so one mare came home to show and the other stayed at the breeder's for the winter and next year to try again. That mare, Cat, had hormone level trouble and had to be on several different medications to regulate her. It wasn't until September that she finally caught, and she then spent that winter/summer there again. When she finally foaled, aside from being stuck and red bag(I almost lost them both), I was blessed with a filly. I was SO happy and relieve because even though I have owned a number of very nice stallions and colts, I know how much of a challenge colts are! Biting, kicking, rearing, and general danger and stress are amplified 10x when the testosterone hits. This is not to say mares and geldings can't be bad, but colts really can be a headache.
default_wacko.png
So anyways I went out and bought a gorgeous colt this year myself. One who I wouldn't think twice about to use as a stallion, he is very nice and of today's winning champion bloodlines. He's going to make a great gelding this fall
default_wink.png
I also have a HOF, National Top Ten gelding whole is just the nicest all-round horse. He was a nice 7 year old stallion when I bought him, but he made an even greater gelding. He's proven himself over and over again. I no longer own any intact males, just 4 mares, 1 senior gelding and one gelding to be and that makes me HAPPY.
default_risa8.gif

I love all horses and colts are cute... but they make me :arg! sometimes. Life is better here without.

Good luck
default_cheekkiss.gif

Rebecca,

I live in West Tn about 40 min from jackson. I will help you in anyway i can. If i dont know these people on this site are awesome and they know. Ive been around horses all my life. A far as your new mini im hoping he is still with his momma. I feed my minis purina miniature horse and pony feed. I have a mini baby the same age as yours and still on her momma. She eats off momma and some feed. Yes take him to the vet and get vaccinated. I just had shortcake and his momma to the vet last week. I have to take shortcake back for more shots in two more weeks. Worming i a must. Its hot and worms are bad this time of yr. There bad all yr around but when its hot and dry the seem to be worse so in summer mths i worm mine every mth. I had a mare that i had on 6 weeks schedule three yrs ago get down cuz of worms. I was doing my usual routine and vet told me with the heat and no rain its best to worm every mth then i also have 8 horses im not sure if that made it more of a reason or not. Also they use to say rotate wormer but there are new studies that say its best to stay on one wormer and have vet test to see if you need to change the type of wormer you use. I learned this also three yrs ago by our vet. My vet in Dr. Lott in Mckenzie,Tn(tri-County Vet Clinic) they are AWESOME!!!

With your baby i would yes brush and handle him every day. Teach him to lead pick his feet up touch his ears. Pretty much touch him all over. Its also easy to start a bad habit hard to break them for it. I so know this from past experience.LOL My filly is still with momma and never was touched till i got them two weeks ago so its been a challange for us but its getting better everyday. I seen picture he is BEAUTIFUL! So congrats and if you need any help we are all here for you and im close just give me a yell!!!

Good luck and Congrats again,

Having two sorrel and white paint horses myself, I have to say that your little boy is very cute!!

Welcome to the site! I am pretty new here myself and have appreciated all the advice and reading all the different posts-very informative (and entertaining). I have only had minis the last 2 1/2 years. They are a blast but a lot of work and as I have found this year, can bring plenty of heartache. We had a gorgeous baby filly the first year from one of our mares and she was so much fun. This year both of our mares' foals were tragically lost to terrible dystocias during birth. I being inexperienced was unable to help much and because of the positions they were in, especially with one of them, it required much assistance from our 2 vets that came out to help to get the foals delivered. It was gut wrenching watching our mares go through all that but thankfully the mares were fine, as many mares are lost after a hard delivery. After waiting a year so excitedly and then losing both foals, just so devastating...so as has been stated on here, breeding is NOT for the faint at heart. Sorry for the scary story, but it does happen. We have a gelding, a stallion, and 2 mares. They are all so sweet and our gelding is a like a dog. Whatever you decide to do, be as prepared and educated as you can, as nothing generally goes "as planned" with animals. They are great companions and are so much fun, the heart of a full-sized horse in a little body! Nothing quite like a mini!!

Back