My Buck

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
Many of you know of my little Buck from my posts here on the forum. I have journaled on here his training since he was a 9 month old. He is 5 now. He admittedly doesn't have the best stifle conformation, although he does not lock, he can be a bit short strided in the rear, particularly his right hind. But for the last week or 2 I have noticed he has been not tracking up as well and now is 'off'.

So my vet Amy came out yesterday morning for Buck. She evaluated him and definitely agreed he is off on his right hind...and some in his left hind as well. She did flexion tests on both sides and took blood to test for Lyme. SHe thinks part of it is still him but could be aggravated by Lyme at this time. She said as he gets older he will more than likely develop arthritis in his hocks and stifles. She doesn't want him worked in circles- so no lungeing at this point. I can work him up hills then diagonally down and work in straight lines...basically at this point I am waiting for the test results and antibiotics as I feel that is the first step. He may not be able to handle driving as much as I have driven him in the past
default_sad.png
So we will see where it goes...

We will do antibiotics once the Lyme titer comes back- then look towards xrays in the future and to see what else we may do. He loves to drive, when he is feeling good, so my fingers are crossed that he can come back to work.

Angie

So sorry to hear this Angie. I have had my own issues with Lyme (a mini and Target) and it isn't fun or easy to diagnose. Have you discussed joint supplements with your vet? I had both the relatively young (<10 years) mini and much older Target on joint supplements and I think they really do help, with or without the Lyme. Good luck and hoping for a speedy and full recovery for Buck.

Hi Mary,

He is currently on MSM. When my vet calls back with e test results I thought I'd see if she recommended any other supplements. What are your guys on?

I hate ticks
default_no.gif

I drove Wish tonight and Buck so wanted me to pick him.

Angie

Sorry to hear about Buck! I hope he has a quick recovery. Chris

The supplement I am using now is Nu Flex maximizer with Glucosomine, yucca, Hyaluronic (sp?) acid and some other stuff. I see that is supposed to be for young sport horses but seems to work just fine for 25 year old Target even at less than half the recommended dose. I have used various joint supplements for him with either condroitin or glucosomine and have the best luck with a higher concentration and then adjusting the amount as needed.

Mary, thanks for the name of the supplement, I will look into it as well as what Smartpak has too.

Kendra, I hope he does too. He loves the attention and to work.

Yesterday I took him out to ground drive him to do a little rehab the vet prescribed, just walk/ whoa, and a few strides of trot...I hope to hear his test results soon.

Angie

Good luck with him Angie.... I have had a couple of horses that had problems with stifles, I know how frustrating it can be to deal with. Nothing else to add, I am sure you have lots of ideas of supplements. Old school from forever ago we used to put the stifle horses on a yucca supplement, that was before all the cool stuff there is on the market now, but I do remember it giving my boy Smokey some relief, we did straight line working and hills and that helped too. Best wishes!!!! PS, if you also have lyme, I hope you get results fast and a quick recovery.

Adair

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Angie. Buck has been in my prayers since I first read about this and I hope you'll be getting some answers soon. I know exactly what you're going through! I've never seen Kody so despondent as when he thought he'd been permanently retired.
default_sad.png

drivin*me*buggy said:
He is currently on MSM. When my vet calls back with e test results I thought I'd see if she recommended any other supplements. What are your guys on?
MSM is one of those that helps some critters and not others. It's better to have your horse on an all-around joint supplement like Mary's product or the Equinyl Combo with H/A Spyder and Kody were on. It's got glucosamine, chondroitin sulfates, MSM, Hyaluronic Acid and manganese and copper for proper equine absorption of the other ingredients. Such products will help protect joints from damage while the horse is young and then keep the arthritis under control when it does show up. Spyder would have been put down years earlier without it! Kody's been on the introductory/maintenance level of it since he was five and now that he's got a little bit of arthritis starting to show in his hocks I've upped him to the midlevel dose and seen some improvement. Spyder was on the maximum dose for the last few years and without it could barely move.

Hoping Buck recovers soon,

Leia

I got the call with Buck's results yesterday. Positive for Lyme....He'll be on doxycycline 2x a day for 30 days along with probiotcs...I also ordered him Smartflex II Support...I will put Wish on it too...I can always up him to Smartflex 3 if I feel he needs some more oomph...Hopefully we will see some improvement soon...

Angie

Back