My 15 day old filly has bloody diarrhea

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pooper scooper

Reaction score
My filly was down this morning and I checked her temperature. It was 105!! Her mother is in heat and she has been having some diarrhea but seemed to be fine. Today when I cleaned her there was some blood. I callled thew vet and he gave me some Amforol to give her every 8 hours. Her temp was down to 102 this afternoon but now is back up to 104.9. I am giving her pedilite and she nurses some. The blood is still there when I clean her off. That really concerns me. i will take her to the vet in the morning if she is not much improved but have any of you had this happen? What is it? The vet said amybe a bacteria, maybe a virus. Ant help would be very appreciated. Thia is my first mini foal and she a doll. Thanks, Donna
default_sad.png

I would be hooking up the trailer for an emergency run now. With a foal that young they can turn in a short time and die. Especially with diarreha where they dehydrate so fast. I wouldn't wait. In the morning could be to late.

Personally, with those symptoms, I would have taken her straight to the vet immediately. I have no idea would could be wrong, but those signs are not good.

I know from personal experience that a baby that young can go from just fine to almost dead in matter of hours with symptoms like that, so I would personally NOT wait until the morning and either get a vet who knows what they're doing out there now or get on the road to an equine hospital.

I hope all works out for your little one.

If you cannot get a vet now, mix pedialite and metamucil. You have to mix it quick because it turns into a gel. If you can get some of this down the baby 4 times a day to start, you maybe can save it. I use a syringe to get it into the babies. I had one that I knew I was going to loose and this is what brought it around. It sounds crazy, but it will slow the diarreah. With the blood it sounds like a bacterial infection. If it is not better by morning, have the vet out asap.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would scare the peewaddin out of me! I would consider this a vet emergency, if it were my foal.

MA

I would be calling the vet and having the vet look at it.....but my vet swears by it and I've had 2 foals this year get diareah with the mares being in foal heat. But my vet told me to use Tribrisserin (miss spelled??) paste..... 1/3 of a tube.... After trying other stuff verses the paste...... It cleared the foals diareah up by the next day! And after using it on 2 foals..... I am sold on using it.......

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the filly doing today?? Has the diarreha stopped.

I have been following this post. How is your filly today?

Beth

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks to all of you for your concern and suggestions. Spice is better today. I was back at the vet on Sunday night and he put her on cefazolin injections 2x a day. That has brought her fever down. She has not had one in over 24 hours now. The diarrhea has gone from watery to pastey. I am still giving her pedialite. She nurses but not as much as I would like. The blood is now gone. PTL!! The vet said it was probably from irritation to her intestine lining. i took in a stool sample and he is going to test and try to find out what it is. I think it is a bacteria but not sure yet. My other filly who is 2 days younger is not showing any signs yet! (again PTL!) Thanks again! :aktion033: Donna[/SIZE]

Keep us posted on your precious baby and let us know how things go.

Back