I messed up and onyx is hurt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisco41

Reaction score
I let onyx out in the unfenced pasture today.She never goes far and she likes to nibble the grass. I have done it before when I have been out there. But today I forgot to put her up and went up to the house and let the dogs out. Several of the dogs disapeared for a couple hours and suddenly it dawned on me onyx was out. I jumped in the car and sure enough she has many small slices all up and down her neck. Also some deep punctures.That was bad enough but i was relieved that was all there was. Then I looked under her tail. Her underside of tail is scrapped/ripped open. And even worse is her vulva got ripped. I am just sick. She was in a daze when i found her, still on her feet tho. I cleaned what I could and put a drop of super glue on her open area of vulva and got it to go back up. The puncture on other side I have left open. She was shaking terribly and I sat with her for several hours,,blanketed with big horse rugs, snuggling and rubbing and singing to her. ( only animal alive that can stand it) I am searching for my banamine as she seems to be rightly in a lot of pain. I imagine it is expired and I do not know the dose to give Is it 1 cc per 100 pounds..injectable orally? I am worried about swelling and making her unable to pee. I am worried about everything. I am just sick. She is in a deeply bedded stall with her momma. She is not shaking anymore..i stayed until she wasn't. She is a normal A sized yearling...if i can find it would 2 cc be about right? any advise.Will expired banamine hurt her? i am deciding if I will bring the dog to the vet with me in the morning to be put down or not...

I am sorry this happened and yes give 1cc per 100lbs orally. We use the paste but assume the amount is the same for injectable, if not hopefully someone else will chime in. As to the dog, keep in mind that once they attack, the WILL do it again and it isnt always a horse that gets attacked. If you are overly attached to the dog you may need to keep in mind that it can only go out supervised and on a leash as you obviously wont want this happening again to your horse or someone else's animals. Personally I would choose to put it down due to the fact that once they get the taste of live blood, they generally will do it again, a lot easier to say that with no attachment to the animal of course but even if my dogs I feel that would be my decision in the end.

OMG I'm so sorry....Please get a vet to see her asap

I also can't help with injectable banamine have only used the paste

more so I want to send prayers and bump this up for others with more experience

You can give her the liquid banamine orally as well as injecting it. If it were my filly I would give her at least 2cc even if it is expired. I would also put some electrolytes in some water and syringe some in her mouth. Sorry it happened, best wishes that all will be okay after she is vetted.

just checked her and also see that someone removed part of her tail as well. She is resting and do3sn;t seem to be shocky anymore..not like she was

So sorry this happened. I agree that once an animal discovers the "fun" of attacking, it will most likely do it again and it could be a child.

I hope that because of her young age that she will not be too damaged mentaly. My big stallion who is 24 years old now, was attacked almost two years ago by a pit bull while my daughter was riding him. The physical damage healed ina few months, however he suffers now from PTSD, and is not any fun to ride any longer. However I know a mini gelding that was attacked as a yearling and he does not appear to be traumatized the same way.

just checked her again. Still acting off but she was up when i saw her. of course couldnot find that darn banamine. Expired would have been better then nothing. I found some new cuts to the inside of her leg. Ugh. I wonder if i should get up and shave her in th emorning. I thnk that be the only way we will be able to see all the damage thru her winter fur. It will have to come off anyway to be able to treat her wounds. I emailed a dog rescue. I really do not want to kill gracie. Maybe if she had a non farm home?

seems everytime I go out to check her I find more damage. I hope I have found everything now.

her vulva is very swollen. I suppose that is to be expected since it was dam near taken off. omg i could just puke

OMG I'm so sorry your poor mare got attacked by the dog
default_sad.png
I hope the vet can see her right away. I'm sure the vet will clip her in the areas she needs to be clipped. Vet care is very important and I know you'll take good care of her and get her through this..

Mistakes happen {{{{Hugs}}}}

So sorry to hear that this has happened. Yes you need to get her to the vet asap, she will need anti-biotics fast, probably stitching and careful watching for any further infection and aftershock plus fluids etc.

Saying prayers for our sweet little girl and sending you hugs.

This is nothing I would attempt treating myself. This is an emergency. Do you have no vet that will come to you? Why must she be hauled to treatment?

Best wishes, I can only imagine how stressed you are. Keep us posted.

Hugs! Mistakes happen, but now it's up to you to take care of the results. Please keep us posted on what the vet says. As for the dog... that's a tough one as I wouldn't want to euth her either, but as a mother of small children & small horses, it makes me nervous to say keep her around. I know that will be a tough decision. Thinking of you and Onyx through it all.

I hope you are getting the vet to see her NOW. Having gone through a bobcat attacking one of our minis, I know there are so many things a vet needs to tend to, from wound treatment, pain meds, and antibiotics. . We were treating Rusty's wounds for months. Stitches might NOT be the way to go as the wounds may need to drain.

Five months later, Rusty is pretty much back to normal and it looks like his only scars will be physical.

I hope Onyx will be okay and I'm so sorry she got hurt. I'd like to put in a word for the dogs. You said they were let out and running loose in a group if I read it correctly. Dogs in a pack running at large will get into all kinds of trouble that they might not otherwise get into if they were by themselves or in their contained yard. Do you know what dog actually did the attacking? Have you had problems with him/her in the past? Onyx was probably running and your dogs kicked into prey drive and as a pack took her down. Depending on the breed, it's a natural instinct and drive between prey and predator. I don't mean that to sound harsh as my heart goes out to poor Onyx who is suffering.

I wouldn't put the dog down. Not if the dog has never had a problem before and this was a once in a lifetime occurrence and you can keep the dogs contained in a fenced yard or in the house. Onyx is in my prayers.

Hope everything turns out okay for you and poor Onyx. Don't you have a vet you could call?

Latest posts

Back