I messed up and onyx is hurt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
onyx had her vet visit. She is doing much better this morning. I was so relieved to see her pee as that was one of my main worries.Most of her wounds were superficial. There are a few punctures on her neck that will need to be watched closely. The tail head they can do nothing about, and her vulva had a flap of dead /dying tissue removed. She got her tetanus shot, got an antibiotic and I now have 100 cc of banamine to keep on hand. I requested banamine over bute..vet figures her wt at about 120 pounds..so said to give her 1 cc once a day up to 2 times a day. To use it as sparingly as we can. Does that doseage/ and yearling wt sound about right to you all>? Thank you for the support.

So glad to hear that she should be ok - just watch for any unusual 'sleepy' behaviour or lack of appitite as this might mean that any infection is getting the better of the anti-b's. Your banamine dosage sounds just right to me. Good luck and please let us know how she progresses.
default_yes.gif

Sorry that this happened. It couldve been prevented but you know that. It was a mistake and you didnt know it would happen. The dog doesnt deserve to die or even be rehomed because of it. Tie them ALL up when they go outside or get a large kennel or fence in an area for them.. Leave the horses in fenced in areas. Maybe get electric fencing if you don't have it.

Would like to add maybe start her on some gastroguard to prevent ulcers-after all the stress. Thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery. As far as the dog, I would have it put down. You could find a rescue but if she ends up somewhere without her story I would be fearful of what may result.(I know of this happening) Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with little lady about gastroguard with an extended use of banamine not to mention the stress she has been thru

check with your vet to be sure you can give along with her other meds though

I am so sorry that this happened to your little mare but am glad to hear that she is doing better. I understand about not being able to get a vet. It is extremely difficult in certain areas where vets no longer will take emergency calls. I know mine gave all his clients advanced noticed that the clinic would no longer offer emergency services and there is no one else to call. If this is your situation, try and find out where the nearest animal hospital is. I have to drive a few hours but it's worth it. In the meantime, see if your vet will sell you a big tube of banamine so that you can keep it on hand. Best of luck to you and your horse.

Awesome, for some reason my old feeble mind read it as 10 CC. Yeah, I like the paste and keep a tube with me in my truck when I'm hauling and or showing and one in the tack room for emergencies. You get the pic.
default_smile.png

Excellent!

Write on your bottle " 1CC per 100 lbs" so if you would need it for a different horse you know the dosage. Plus my vet said expired banamine is OK, it just loses it's potency and you may need to use a little more than normal. It's sure too expensive to throw away!

How heartbreaking. I remember Onyx from when she was born (around the same time as my Chloe). I'm glad she's doing better... My heart goes out to you. I did the same kind of thing (forgetting to put the horse away) with my big horse yesterday. Fortunately, she was fine and didn't even leave home. How are you taking it?

I am feeling a bit guilty and eternally thankful!. I do believe she will heal just fine!. It will be no time and she will be sitting in my lap again..she just isnt my Onyx right now. Her ears have been down..kinda like just plugging thru this. But I do believe in the long haul she will be fine and back to my lil buddy

How is Chloe? Hard to believe they are yearlings almost

You must remeber that this was an attack! If she knew the dogs as friendly before they tried to kill her (in her mind) her whole world has just been flipped upside down. What she knew is no more. Time and patience. The one positive you have on your side is that with youth comes resilience. She will need time and "counceling" just as a human in the same circumstances would.

FTR, with dogs animal aggression does NOT equal human aggression. Too many people get into a panic that if a dog goes after an animal (another dog, a cat, etc) they do not view it the same as with a human - even a kid. If your dog has ever shown aggression to you or another person, then that's an issue. Dependent on breed, it could be simple instincts to chase or go after an animal. Put them in a pack and you have trouble. But I think suggesting euthing is VERY extreme.

Worst case, if you feel uncomfortable having your dogs on the same property as your minis, contact a local rescue/home and let them know the dog(s) have a high prey drive and should not be housed with small animals/should be the only animal. Just do your research and make sure it's a No-Kill situation.

I am quite certain it was a rough play gone wild. Onyx ran and thus the fun began, Normally my mini's are in secure cattle panels. As Onyx would have been had I remebered to put her up. This keeps me from worrying about coyotes as well. I have contacted a breed rescue as I do not have it in my heart to destroy a dog. we will see where that leads..no response as yet. It doesn't really matter if it was play or an attack to kill..I can not have it. I did advise she go to a home with no livestock or small animals. Just waiting to see if I get a reply

Chloe's doing well! I adore her with ALL my heart. When I go outside, she lets out a nicker and comes at a run. Despite being almost a year, she still LOVES her "scratches". She's finally starting to show a tiny bit of palomino, but she's still soooo white!

I'm so glad that Onyx is doing okay. I bet she's sore from it too... Poor little girl! I'm with you on a dog going somewhere else after such a situation. A friend of mine has an awesome dog, except when she sees a cat. That dog suddenly goes ballistic! If she ever got a hold of one, she'd kill it. It wouldn't be right for her to be put down, but she is fantastic living withOUT a cat. I know a cat isn't a mini, but I know that my Arab looks at Chloe like a dog. Especially since Chloe is about the size of my Lab and the same color. For whatever reason, your dog might have thought something like that- a strange dog in their yard, especially if the dogs are never actually with the minis. I'm just so glad it wasn't worse!

I remember when Chloe's mom, Sadie, got kicked in the vulva. She had laser therapy which reduced her swelling. I also was told by the vet to put arnica gel on it, and it healed quickly. Sadie seemed to like the arnica gel on it as it helped with the pain too. How's Onyx's doing?

So sorry this happened. I'm sure most of us have things that have happened with our animals.

Did I miss what kind of dog it was?

Hope she continues to improve and is 100% soon. Such a scary thing to happen!

I always keep paste banamine on hand--snakes are my reason, but it has come in handy to have it on several occasions for other things, like porcupines.

It was good of you to share this episode. We all need reminding about things that can happen with animals.

onyx is doing very well. We went thru a period of time when the bad puncture wounds did start showing signs of infection ( lots of yellow thick drainage) but the antibiotics seem to have kicked in. I have been cleaning them everyday and have now let my wound care nursing experience kick in and am packing them with saline gauze pads. I can see improvement every day. the puncture bite marks ended up being connected under the tissue..to my surprise when i flushed them good. Nothing like a tube n 1 hole and water coming out 2 inches away in another hole. So even more severe then it even started out looking .

her leg cuts and other lacertions are all healed and the light scabs are just starting to come off. Her vulva is much better. Still one sore spot but healing nicely. She will have some scars no doubt,,but horses heal so amasingly !

Onyx was sick when she was first born. She was handled alot and went to the vet at only a day old. She had many shots her first few weeks. And always she loved on me. I would call her and she would run to my side..even if momma was hollering for her she would choose me over momma. she is my baby that even as almost a yearling..i could sit in her pasture and pat the ground beside me and she would always come lie in my lap. Things have changed a bit although i see a little of my old baby emerging again. She has stayed very close to momma. Her momma has always been hard to catch and now onyx wil run from me as well. I understand why..but it makes me sad. I have been spending some loving time each day..and she is seeming to make some progress into being the little independent baby she was. But she is still a long way from where she was. she will have light scars on one side of her neck and some deep scars on the other under her mane, But if i have anything to say about it..she will not be emotionally scarred for long.

Latest posts

Back