Movie Reviews

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharmedMinis

Reaction score
Thought this might be a fun thread to have once a week or so...........

Let's all share about the movies we've seen........... I'll Start!

Brokeback Mountain-- Awesome movie! Didn't like the end, too sad.

Carolina-- Starring Shirley MacLaine and Julia Stiles. Great funny rednecky movie, tons of fun!

A History Of Violence-- UGH!!! Very dark movie with too much gore and way to graphic sex scenes. And the ending was very pathetic.

Next on my list to watch is Narnia!!!

The best movie I've seen in a long time was Crash.

I actually liked A History of Violence... maybe it was the graphic sex
diffident.gif

Actually, other than Crash, people should not take my movie reviews very seriously because almost always if I pay attention to a movie, it will entertain me (easily entertained but also easily distracted).

I liked Saw 2, Thumbsucker, 40 Year Old Virgin, and Wedding Crashers of the movies we watched recently (NetFlix)...

I did not like and did not finish the new Fog, Demon Hunter, and Apartment 12.

The bad thing is we get these movies from Netflix then I will fall asleep before they are over, so I've got a stack of ones I saw part of and H saw all of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jill you are too funny :bgrin

I'm a netflixer too!

I forgot one.

Derailed-- with Jennifer Aniston, another UGH! I couldn't finish watching it, the plot was obvious, the acting cold and bad, and it just had an icky feeling to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
We got the Cronicals of Narnia last weekend and I enjoyed it alot.

Didn't like Derailed.

I am still out on Brokeback Mountain.

Just saw "The Benchwarmers". It was really funny, but for some reason with the actors it had in it and being written by Adam Sandler, I thought it would still be funnier. I guess it had a good message in it though.

Also saw "She's the Man". I thought this was a really good movie and liked it better than "The Benchwarmers", but I was the only one. My mom, 17 year old brother and husband all liked "The Benchwarmers" better.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Okay, so will anyone scream if I ask was there any graphic sex in Derailed?

I want to see Benchwarmers, too!

Ok, Derailed (In my opinion) didn't have any graffic sex. Without going into detail, there is a rape scene, but they don't really show anything, just some noises? I watched it with my husband and we usually don't watch graffic things together.

The World's Fastest Indian

Starring Anthony Hopkins. Released in Dec, 2005 on a limited basis.

Based on a true story (supposedly). It is about a man dreaming of breaking the land speed record on an old indian motorcycle.

Excellent acting, has some humorous points, and definately some drama. It is a nice steady eaven paced movie which has enough charm, suspense, and humor to keep you interested in seeing how it ends, even though one can guess what is going to happen in the end. The best part is that the special effects are kept to a bare minimum which helps to showcase the characters. Why, there is no need for special effects when you have a good story and a good set of actors.

Definately a great movie, but a shame that the major mainstream theaters didn't show it. It is rated pg-13 for breif language, drug use, and sexual reference, but honestly, I am not sure that I would have rated it at this level as I have seen rated pg-13 movies that truelly shocked me.

When I got done watching the movie, my first thoughts were, WOW... It is nice to see a movie where the movie is relatively clean with good acting that didn't require special effect. (It sort of reminded me of Second Hand Lions in the style that it was done in.)

Anyway, my hubby has seen the movie 4 times, and he RARELY goes to the movie theaters and he has NEVER seen a movie more than once in a theater. Sadly, this Thursday will be the last day it is playing in our area. I can't wait for it to come out on video as it will be one that we will DEFINATELY add to our collection.

And not to promote the movie, but you can visit the movie's web site here: http://www.worldsfastestindian.com

I recently saw the new Fog on pay per view and want my money back plus they can pay me for having watched the whole thing hoping it would get better :no: . I saw Elizabethtown and Wedding date on DVD that I really liked and also saw Dreamer that was OK.

Amanda

ooooh I like this thread! :aktion033:

I'll admit, I am a movie buff so I'd love to jump in on this one....

We (my kids and I) saw Narnia at the theater and rented it when it came out. I never read the book (tsk tsk), but my 8 yr old son did and he seemed to enjoy following along with the movie. My best friend "teases" me saying, "if it has wizards in it, you'll watch it". Um....sort of true...lol.
default_whistling.gif
:

I have not seen Derailed, a friend of mine read the book and was dying to see it. After she came back from the theater she told me not to bother.

I did see A History of Violence. I didn't know the plot, so I didn't know what to expect. Viggo Mortenson is in it and at the time that was enough for me
default_blush.png
: It was a little dark and twisted and the end was a little weird, but I liked it.

Hmmmm....OH! King Kong...I wanted to see this at the theater, but never made it. I really liked it, the special effects are great and I was bawling at the end. I watched it with my dog (hubby went to bed) and she kept checking on mama to see what all that sniffling was on the couch!
default_crybaby.gif
:

Next will be Dreamer.
default_wub.png
:

8 Below--definitely a dog lover's movie!! I thought it was good and definitely carried a hankie with me on that one. Waaaaa!!!!

Walk the Line -- My fav so far this season. I want to buy the CD !! Good movie, good story line (bio) and good acting. The fact I think Juaqin Phoenix is just too sexy for his shirt did'nt hurt either!
default_wub.png
:

Derailed -- It was ok....but just could'nt get into the fact that "Rachel" was playing a bad girl part. Did'nt work for me.

Narnia -- Just an enjoyable movie all the way around.

Inside Man -- Pretty good, edge of your seat action packed and kept my interest.

The Hills Have Eyes -- Definitely a gory one. (Jill you may enjoy this one! :bgrin ) Pretty intense in some parts...but if you like scarey and gore...this one's a must see. Also the scenery is pretty darn good!

Brokeback Mountain -- Loved it!!! :aktion033:

Okay earlier I was on the phone and didn't respond really well..

LOVED Dreamer, thought it was a good movie

Walk the Line just became one of my all time favorites

Don't waste your money on Dirty, it is lame.

I did like Brokeback Mountain, but I guess that it wasn't what I expected, it was very sad at the end.

We rent alot of movies, we use to do Netflix, but it got to be too much for us.

I do not watch scary movies, because they scare me.

We've been watching a lot of movies lately ...

Brokeback Mountain - this is a horrible movie! Even without the homosexuality, the story is stupid. The only part I liked was seeing places I recognized - the bar where Jake Gyllenhal's character meets his wife is Ranchman's, my old stomping grounds in Calgary.

Jarhead - another stupid movie. I wanted those hours of my life back. Oddly, another Jake Gyllenhal movie that's just slightly homosexual.

Capote - I really enjoyed this movie. Capote is twisted and narcissistic and as a writer, I identify.

Memoirs of a Geisha - WONDERFUL movie. Beautifully shot, beautiful costumes, believable characters. Worth seeing!

Narnia - very good. I read the books when I was in grade three or four so I didn't remember much of what the story was supposed to be, but I enjoyed the movie very much.

A History of Violence - I understood it, but I didn't enjoy the movie - even with the naked Viggo scenes.

King Kong - I usually hate movies like this, but I loved it! I found myself sympathizing with Kong and I cried when he died.

Walk The Line - I loved this movie! Joaquin and Reese's portrayals of Johnny and June were dead on and their voices were pretty darn close, too.

Crash is definitely the best movie I've seen recently.

Definitely recommend "Narnia" --- whether or not you've read the book. Good either way. And that's even with both Larry and me coming out of a Theatre Arts college and seeing little mistakes in the editting.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

The new Harry Potter movie is good too......lots of stuff was cut from the book, but they still managed to get everything to flow together.

MA

OK, don't laugh, but the only movie I've seen in the theater recently was:

Ice Age 2: The Meltdown

:bgrin Had to take my 4 year old you know! She's only watched the first one maybe 2000 times, so we went on opening day. It had some scary parts which she wasn't fond of, but overall she liked it :bgrin

Saw Crash recently. I didn't care for the ending, no closure for anything really, just left you wondering what will happen to everyone.

Liked Brokeback Mtn, good love story, of course, sad ending.

Just watched Sky Captain. Was really tough for me to get through the first 30 min. because it's NOT my type of movie, but I enjoyed it more after that.

We haven't watched many movies lately, hasn't been much we've been interested in actually paying money to rent, usually just wait for it to be on HBO. But we have been renting several different TV series from NetFlix that we've really enjoyed. We've seen some of these on TV but it's much better to wait until they come out on DVD and watch them all at once without commercials.

The Sheild - husband loves this show, I'm getting hooked but can't say I love it yet. Hard to believe that's The Commish! :lol:

Stargate SG-1 - rented seasons 1 & 2, got so addicted we couldn't wait to get them from NetFlix so bought seasons 1-7 on Ebay, just started season 5. Yea, we're nerds....
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Stargate Atlantis - another addicting one

Battlestar Galactica - very good, really like the story (the remake - never saw the original)

Deadwood - the dialog in this show is great!

The 4400 - I love this show, husband thinks it's OK. Think I'm more into the nerdy SciFi stuff than he is.

Alias - Good but the last couple of seasons have kind of gone downhill, haven't seen season 5 yet.

Lost - Love this one too. Haven't let myself watch season 2 on TV, waiting for the DVD.

Another series that is good but only lasted one season is Firefly - the movie Serenity is like the final episode.

Sorry these aren't really "movies", kinda got off topic. We are going rent Narnia one of these days and I really want to see Ice Age 2 but will have to wait until it comes out on DVD unless I go by myself or with someone besides my husband.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

8 Below -- Two thumbs up (hubby's and mine). The whale scene nearly made me pee my pants. Tear-jerker for sure. I don't know the lead actor's name, but he is a cutie patootie.

Walk the Line -- Joaquin Phoenix... sigh.
default_wub.png
: Must buy that one. Oh, great movie too. I want the sound track. Hubby liked it too.

King Kong -- <<yawn>> from me. Had explosions and guns, and a big monkey, so hubby liked it.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

History of Violence -- graphic, appreciated Viggo's hiney though. Stupid ending. I thought the wife should've shot him (I would've). Hubby liked it, but didn't like my assesment.

Some one mentioned Jarhead. We saw it in the theaters. I was married to a Marine during Desert Shield/Storm, and it was dead on for what he and his buddies described the experience to be. Hubby (the current one
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) was disappointed that there wasn't more action, but that was pretty much how the war was.

Dreamer -- I'm glad I waited for this one to come out on DVD, because there's some great bonus features. Being a horse person, I noticed a lot of inaccuracies and uh, equine faux pas, but it's still enjoyable. Hubby fell asleep (no guns or apes).

This one is a bit old, but no one has mentioned it... 50 First Dates. I watch this one all the time. I think it's cute and sweet and it makes me want to go to Hawaii. Hubby likes Adam Sandler, so will watch it with me.

Another oldie: Stealth--8 Below made me think of it (same cutie patootie I think). I actually liked this one; it was fun to watch.

Hubby and I have also watched all 3 LOTR movies in the last couple of weeks. I LOVE those (I'm another wizard fan :bgrin ). I can't wait to see Narnia.

I also like ALL of the M. Knight Shayamalan movies; Signs is my favorite (hehe, ol' Joaquin again, with a little Mel thrown in).

Harvey and I watched Wolf Creek last night, and it SCARED me! I thought it was different than most horror movies and is based on a true story, which is why it really scared me. There were some gory parts that made me cringe big time, but I liked the movie a lot.

I just watched Wolf Creek as well and ditto for everything Jill said. Scary right along with Wrong Turn but it's not based on a true story.

Amanda

The weather is icky here so not a lot to do but watch movies!

I watched Brokeback Mountain yesterday and it was SO GOOD! I liked it as much as I liked Crash. One of the best movies I have ever seen, but very sad, too.

Then we watched Hostel. OMG!!! Another very scary movie! And gory! AND, I loved it!!! There is one part that made me scream, and I have not screamed at a horror movie ever before and have seen hundreds!

tv.gif

Latest posts

Back