Missy **COLT** 5/5 , Joint ill - Keep him in your prayers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New pictures today. It's cloudy outside, so these are a little dark. Just Magic has been a bit more active today which is a change for her.

DSC05938.jpg

Udderpicture4-5.jpg

Sideview4-5.jpg

Vulva4-5.jpg

Becky, you took excellent pictures! Just what everyone here wants to see! LOL She sure looks close for a maiden!

Thanks, Pam! LOL Her udder has started feeling a bit 'firmish' this afternoon. I think she's getting pretty close. Maybe in another day or two?

Great pictures, she does look as though it wont be long before she foals - but with these maiden mares........................................?? LOL!!

Diane, I agree. Going by just the pictures, she looks a ways off yet. But, I'm watching her closely anyway. My last 3 maidens, didn't bag up fully. Had less udder than this mare and foaled. Two were big problems. One foal I lost because I wasn't watching her close enough. Another foaled out in the pasture, a live foal but it was iffy for a while. The 3rd mare was started on Equidone at 330 days gestation and no udder. She developed an udder and foaled 10 days later with a normal udder.

So, I've been a little paranoid as to whether this mare will develop a full udder and show all the typical signs. Her udder is at least coming along as it should.

No foal last night. Still waiting.

What I've found in my years of delivering miniature mares, is that maidens certainly don't show all the signs as easily as mares that have had foals. Just Magic had a very tight underline, likely left from her show career. Two weeks ago, you wouldn't have thought she was in foal. About a week and a half ago, she suddenly looked more pregnant than she had previously. I really don't think she will get a more dropped looking appearance. I believe that's where she's at now.

I also don't find vulvas getting as long, loose and swollen in appearance before foaling in maiden mares. That's one of the reasons maidens have more trouble pushing heads and legs through during delivery. Not much room and not a lot of stretching there. I generally have to help get heads through in my maidens more than in my experienced mares.

She's made some small changes in her udder today. Time will tell if they are significant or not!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Significant would be good! :0)

I don't think she'll foal tonight, but maybe before the weekend is over?????

Thanks for asking, Parmela. I just took some new udder pictures this afternoon. Maybe a little more progress. I want to see a lot more progress!
default_smile.png

JustMagicudder4-72.jpg

JustMagicudder4-7.jpg

Oh, and I can't get any milk to check for consistency. She gets extremely angry if I try, so I'm just letting that go. A quick feel of her udder is the best I can do.
default_smile.png

*If* I can convince her to let me try for milk, I can test it on my refractometer. That gives a pretty good indication of where a mare is milk wise.

How long has she been bagging up? I thought she would be farther along by now. (seems like forever to me)

Seems like forever to me too. She's been bagging up since 275 days and she is at 316 today. 6 weeks. I thought for sure she would have been ready to foal by now.
default_sad.png

You're welcome to use the refractometer. Come and get it.
default_smile.png

I agree...progress, but I would expect more before she foals, but she didn't ask me!lol They have their own opinions of how this stuff is going to work. Thanks for posting the pictures!

Wow What a wonderfully clean girl, I don't think I should post any more pics of my girls
default_thud.gif

Wow What a wonderfully clean girl, I don't think I should post any more pics of my girls
Thank you! She's the cleanest white horse I've dealt with. Just Magic doesn't like being dirty and normally stays looking white. Amazing!

I took another picture this morning and she is coming right along. I'll post the series starting with Thursday and you can see what I am talking about. Making good progress now. Woo Hoo!

From Thursday.

DSC05938.jpg

From Saturday.

JustMagicudder4-72.jpg

And from today.

JustMagic4-8.jpg

Yay Becky! Progress indeed. I'm so excited for you!!!!

Latest posts

Back