minis vital signs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocklone Miniature Horses

past member -I gotta get a life...
Reaction score
Did my mares vital signs today for the first time:

Charm 34"

Temp - 37.12C (98F)

Pulse - 43bpm

Respiration - 34pm

Weight - 148kg (326lbs)

Goldie 32"

Temp - 37.20C (99F)

Pulse - 50bpm

Respiration - 22pm

Weight - 126kg (277lb)

Very interesting to do. Anyone else know theirs?

Click the link above... Mini Horse and Pony Info, click on general health you will see a link with the normal ranges for vitals. You might find that interesting also you haven't already been there.

Thanks! All very interesting. Charm was slightly more stressed out by it all hence her higher readings (are the ones on that site specific to minis though as larger horses have slower readings as a rule)

Also remember each individual has a baseline that's different by a multitude of factors. Knowing each horses base is super important.

For example, my old big mare no crap had a 28bpm resting rate when she was in shape. She had a naturally large and efficient heart, and a bit of a murmur.

I'll never forget the one time she colicked and we had a new vet look at her. She listened to her heart, and said 50bpm, so she couldn't be 'in that much pain.' My jaw about hit the floor and I had to explain that was farrrrrr above normal for her.

Back