Miniature Horse Keeping Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing to consider that I dont think has been mentioned yet - if your two new girls have been living in a herd situation, they are going to miss their companions and will take time to settle down to their new life. Also they may not be happy being separated if you decide to take just one out for a walk or for any other reason. If this is the case you will have to be prepared to do several weeks of training, moving one away out of sight for just a few moments before retuning and then slowly increasing the time spent away until each one is happy and unstressed about being left alone. Hopefully though your new girls will prove happy to remain 'home alone' which will make things much easier for you!

Okay, I just bought everything I need except the feed.

I plan on going to see the minis twice. The first time I go is to see if they are calm with me and to make sure they are healthy. The second time I go is to ask the breeder what type of feed and how much per meal/ bring them home.

Could I ask the breeder what vet/farrier she uses?

Would it be wise to bring the vet she suggests to see the minis and make sure they are healthy? Or should I find a different vet? I currently do not have a vet/farrier.

I heard you have to have their hooves trimmed every 6-8 weeks. Is that correct? How much does it cost?

If when the vet checks the horses he/she says they are not healthy should I just not buy that one or wait until it is healthy?

There is one horse I'm looking at named Ebony. The reasons why they are selling her are as follows: She is growing to much (they wanted her to stop at 36" but she is currently 36 1/2" tall she is still growing) and their studs will never be able to breed to her. They say that she has half siblings that have shown to top 10. She is 3 years old. They say that she had some halter training as a yearling but none since. She is very people oriented, she will leave her feed to say hi. Anybody can catch or handle her, though she might take advantage of a novice to do what she wants. She leads & ties super, and will stand for the farrier.

Does this sound like a nice horse?

Then there is this description of a mini named Amber. Amber is a beautiful little gal were not really sure we want to sell, but she is going to get a little bit bigger than what we really want. She is laid back & could really care less what you do with her, & she really has not been handled much. Her mother did very well in the show ring, & we think the filly could too. She stood 33 inches on 7-24-14. She is 2 years old.

Does that sound like a good mini?

Then there is this description of a mini named Envy. Envy is a sweety once caught, but can be difficult to catch at times. She stood 31 1/2 inches on 7-24-14. She has been pasture exposed to a 30 inch perlino for a May 2015 foal. She is LWO positive(stallion is negative).

Of coarse I have never had experience with foaling so I will ask if maybe I could get her after the foal is weaned. Maybe along with the foal. Does she sound like a nice mare? Should I get her and the foal (after it is weaned)? Or just the mare?

Just a question, in this scentence (Possibly willing to trade for a comparable quality mare, small squares of hay or a steer) does the comma mean "or" or "and"?

Thanks,

Tess

Last edited by a moderator:
Hats off to you Tess for asking so many questions , I think its wonderful you are doing so much research.
default_smile.png

This is just my opinion, but for your first horse , I don't think any of these minis would be perfect, and for your first horse you really do need "perfect"

I wouldn't be buying a horse that had any of these words in the description - " hard to catch", "not handled much", "could take advantage of a novice" if I were a first time owner.

Its really obvious how excited you are about buying your first mini, I just think you really need to look around for a while until you find one that is sweet, well mannered and will give you the opportunity to learn and grow with.

Where abouts are you located Tess ? maybe there are some members on here, that are near you, that maybe able to help you find that perfect one.

Wishing you all the best
default_smile.png

I agree with Ryan.

The yearling they are politely saying is a spoiled brat. And they hint they don't think she'd be good for you by laying out she is not for a novice. Also as a yearling her attention span will be equivalent to that of a drunken goldfish. Yearlings are hard to work with, especially pushy spoiled ones.

The 2 year old, being a year older, will have the attention span of a sorta sober slightly more mature goldfish, but will still be a handful. It's the nature of being 2.

The mare in foal that's hard to catch you should not touch with a 10 foot pole. Being hard to catch stems from another behavior issue - mistrust or disrespect of humans are 2 that are common on hard to catch horses.

What you should be looking for is a 8yr old + mare or gelding that has been shown or taken to a ton of events. Learning together never ends well with horses, so you will want a horse with more experience than you!
default_smile.png

Where are you located? We could help you find some promising ads!

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I live in Spokane, Washington. I have looked and looked for other listings of minis but have not found any. I hope you all can find some others. I would like if they have pictures on the listing. Please post the link(s). I have one pen, both horses are going to be in it so I want them to like each other. I would drive within 3 hrs away. My price limit for each one is $1,000. I might go to $1,500 if it is a really nice horse. I want to get two minis.

Thanks so much,

Tess

Last edited by a moderator:
... I wouldn't be buying a horse that had any of these words in the description - " hard to catch", "not handled much", "could take advantage of a novice" if I were a first time owner.
Tess, you sound like you're in love; what's worse you sound like you're in love with horses you found on the internet and have never seen. In my opinion, you really need to re-think this; especially since you're willing to trailer 3 hours away.

A "hard to handle" horse is not much fun. I only have 3 examples, but...

Nicky (my avatar photo) bought at creditors auction is so easy. I can stroll up to him in the field and pop the halter on; I have to remember what the trainer taught me about looping a halter around his neck; most of the time I forget. Nicky taught me how to lunge. My hands/fingers often don't function correctly, especially when it's cold outdoors. Nicky just stands there and waits for me to finish (and he's this supposedly dangerous stallion.) His daughter who has been handled since about 24 hours after her birth will stand there and wait for me to fumble around with the halter. Our mare, Coco, who met many of the criteria that you are listing here for your potential purchase... well, it's been almost 4 stinking years. I've had a trainer who gave up on her. I'm not giving up on her, but oftentimes, I really have to discipline myself to deal with her. It is especially not fun to deal with Coco compared to horses that were either trained (Nicky) or were handled since birth (Baby.)

If when the vet checks the horses he/she .says they are not healthy should I just not buy that one or wait until it is healthy?
Run, don't walk. What if you wait and it doesn't get "healthy?" Would you pay for another vet exam? ..really?

Yup, hooves, every 6-8 weeks, unless you encounter issues then it may need to done more frequently.

I suggest you locate an independent food source. You're living in an area with pretty good hay; (in my opinion, the hay from the Soap Lake area is especially nice.) ...nice enough that I pay extra to get E. WA hay.

Hi,

The horses I found were only 24 minutes away. That's awesome about the hay. I thought these horses were not the best. That's why I hope you all can find two minis worth it.

Thanks,

Tess

You will find them! They are out there, somewhere, even though you don't know where yet. Take your time and get the right horses for you, because once you have them they (should) be with you for a long time. Getting a horse or horses that aren't the right fit for you is going to cause a lot of heartache and frustration.

I have a friend, who, like you, is just getting started with horses and she is super excited. She leased a full sized horse for a while, but realized that riding isn't so much her thing. She decided that she wanted a mini for driving and just being a fun pet. Though she was really wanting to get started as soon as possible, it took a while to figure out exactly what would work best for her, and then finding the right one. At first she was thinking about young horses so she could have it for many years before it died, but then I helped her to understand what it really means to train a young horse. This isn't generally a good project for a beginner. Then we looked at rescues and while this seemed like a noble thing to do, again, it wasn't the best fit for her, because she really needs a horse that doesn't already have "issues". Eventually she fell in love with a wonderful older gelding. He's 18, but healthy and should have many more good years. He's been cared for and handled well for his whole life, and is an experienced driving horse who's "been there, done that" who can help her to learn. He is well behaved and is completely safe. She is adopting him for free because a great forever home is what his owner is looking for. If she had taken the first horse that she looked at, she wouldn't have found him.

I just say that to encourage you to take your time. It will be worth it when you find the right horses.

Okay, I just checked out a few links. I don't think any of us could tell you from those sorts of ads. People will say whatever they want to so about their horse, and it is really hard to go by those sorts of ads. I highly, highly recommend working with a knowledgeable mentor who doesn't stand to gain from you taking one of their horses off their hands.

You have previously expressed that you don't care about showing. These will be mostly your pets, right? If so, I think that your best bet is to forget about show potential, what their parents/siblings accomplished in the show world, etc. and focus on a horse that is currently very well trained. Practically everything has "potential". What you need is "actual". You don't need something that could eventually be caught and handled and led, but one that already is very comfortable with being handled, and is handled every day. When you see this horse you should be able to halter it and lead it with no problems. You should be able to pick up its feet with no problems. The horse should have a completely calm and relaxed disposition. Friendly is good, but sometimes when people say "friendly" what they are really saying is that the horse likes to get into your space and mug you for treats. I'd look for one that seems comfortable around you and respects you and others. As for age, there's no "best" age, but sometimes the older horses get overlooked unfairly. A horse in his/her teens who has been worked in a 4H program but who's kid has grown up could be a nice fit.

Good luck!

Hi,

Could I look for them farther away and have them shipped here? If anyone on this forum is a breeder in the Inland Northwest please post your link(s). I would like to look at them in person once before buying. Even if it is far away.

Thanks,

Tess

What about this one?

Foaled 4/29/2005

Totally SWEET & totally SAFE!

This tiny mare would LOVE her own little girl (or boy!) to call her own!

Feona is a kind, gentle mare who has been successfully shown by a young child.

She's just waiting for another "kid" that she can show the ropes to.

Feona is a tiny, well balanced mare. She measures around 30" on a "tall" day.

If you are looking for a quality SMALL mare to add to your breeding program, Feona may be the right choice.

She has never been bred but is breeding sound.

Her bloodlines go back to the prolific Prince Tennessee Monashee.

Wonderful, talented little mare - looking for the perfect home.

Just to let everyone know I have a 12 year old daughter who is going to be with them/feeding them all the time.

Thanks,

Tess

Hi,

When you buy a mini do you always pay the asking price or do you try and offer a percentage off?

Thanks,

Tess

I found the mare I described above on minihorsesales.com on the Mares 3 and over page about 11 ads down. If you want to see pics there are some on that.

Thank you MiniNHF.

It will really depend on the seller. Some horses will be offered for sale with an asking price eg $2000 Firm. Some may say $2000 ono ( or nearest offer).

It doesn't hurt to ask if they are open to offers or if the price is firm.
default_smile.png

The last mare you have posted does sound much better than the original three.

Tess, another thing you could try would be to ask the seller if they would be open to you taking the horse on a trial basis with option to buy. This will give you the opportunity to spend some time with the Mini and also your daughter to make sure she or he is what you are after.

I have just recently sold my little Shetland and actually asked the buyer if we could make it a 6 month trial for the same reasons that I mentioned above. They also thought this was a great idea and its also been good piece of mind for me, knowing that if it doesn't work out he will come back to me , so I can find a buyer more suitable.

Cheers Ryan
default_smile.png

What about this one?

Foaled 4/29/2005

Totally SWEET & totally SAFE!

This tiny mare would LOVE her own little girl (or boy!) to call her own!

Feona is a kind, gentle mare who has been successfully shown by a young child.

She's just waiting for another "kid" that she can show the ropes to.

Feona is a tiny, well balanced mare. She measures around 30" on a "tall" day.

If you are looking for a quality SMALL mare to add to your breeding program, Feona may be the right choice.

She has never been bred but is breeding sound.

Her bloodlines go back to the prolific Prince Tennessee Monashee.

Wonderful, talented little mare - looking for the perfect home.

Just to let everyone know I have a 12 year old daughter who is going to be with them/feeding them all the time.

Thanks,

Tess
I think she would be a great mini considering she has been shown with youth and is right in that great age range where she isnt a young buck and not to old. Since you dont plan on showing or breeding her you could probably get her price down a little bit.

Back