Miniature Horse Keeping Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking forward to seeing your new horses!!

Almost laughed 'till I cried when you asked if they would still be "fluffy" - when they started shedding on April 16th. If they truly only started shedding - even groomed daily - they will take a while (up to 3 months) to shed completely...

Mine started shedding LONG before that and we still have "oodles & gobs" of hair to go before they are slicked out. Some have more hair than others!! And a couple aren't turning loose of their hair at all. It does make a difference w/ daily grooming - which I don't do. I did groom 8 ponies today - coming out manes and forelocks & using a metal comb to pull the loose/long hair off their bodies (no metal on legs & on a couple not on their bellies either - farrier doesn't appreciate them jumping on top of her when she's doing hooves, LOL)... I took lots of pics today w/ my new phone, but can't seem to get them emailed to myself so that I can do the adjustments I like to do (cropping/text) and then load them into my galleries of photo albums on line. hmmmm....

AngC - I MISS the way we fed in MT!!!! We fed COBB (corn, oats, barley, bran) to our horses and when I was last "up there" in 2003 (hmm that was now 12 yrs ago) - a 50 lb bag was still only $3 (mom no longer has horses - she didn't know what it costs now when I asked). No molasses - and a single 50 lb bag lasted a VERY LONG time w/ the ponies because of the hay (alfalfa/meadow grass) and pasture (CRP/plains grass) we had that we simply don't seem to have down here in NC in this sand. What I wouldn't give for some of that pasture/hay right now!!

And one of my hay suppliers here just informed me it will be a lot longer for hay to be cut. With the dip down in temps - coastal hay quits growing. Told me it would probably be the end of June.
default_new_shocked.gif
Here I was expecting hay to be cut NOW... I did get some Italian Rye grass hay. Smells wonderful - looks pretty. Have no idea if they will like it or if they will do well on it (they have done well on Rye - in the pasture in the fall. Other than what may have been mixed in, I've never fed baled Rye before) and found out the bales were rolled too loose. I couldn't get them out of the trailer by myself tonight - have to have a bunch of "kids" that can climb over the bales and push from inside the trailer come help so we can get these to the ponies... Hope two rounds will last the boys for 2 weeks. The girls' - both pastures - will have to make due w/ 1 each for now - but both pastures still have some hay (not much).

I thank you all! If it wasn't for you I probably would have never bought them. A very very very big thank you to everyone!

I jumped a little with Lily today!

Thank you all! They are very pretty! I have been walking both of them every day. I even did a little jumping with Lily. I washed her too. I didn't have enough time to wash them both. I groomed both of them though. Two days ago I saw them laying down at the same time.

Latest posts

Back