mini playing keep away

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arigg

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a mini that likes to play keep away when it's time to go in.
any suggestions? He's not as bad for me as for others who are getting frustrated with him.

Sorry you haven't gotten any responses yet, I'd love to offer my suggestions. It sounds like he doesn't enjoy coming in for whatever reason - whether he is having fun being out or he doesn't like being in, its pretty common! Food is one of the greatest motivators and can turn this less favorable experience into a very positive experience for him (and you). How does he feel about food, is he very motivated by food or does he seem not to care about it? How do you feel about feeding him food/treats?

The easiest way is usually to go out with treats. I spend some time going out with treats randomly, without catching them. I've used the round pen method that people use for the big horses, but I find it doesn't work well with most minis.

I would like to add, along to what @LostandFound said of just spending time with them without asking anything from him. It does not need to be a lengthy time. Mine was not food motivated but I always had treats to offer. I carried a rope with me, so he didn't associate the rope with always being caught.

The great suggestions alteady given have worked well with my horses through the years. Mine are treat motivated and a handful of grain in a little bucket has been a great tool. I would also add another handful, or treat in the barn if that was our destination.

I acquired a hackney pony last fall. He is a friendly enough fellow to handle until you'd want to go into his pen to catch him. Then he too would play the game of "you can't catch me." I was aware of this habit when I brought him home so we'd make sure to go in and give him some treats and pets daily, and bring him out for grain, stretches and brushing. We have not had him in regular work yet, just positive association. Yesterday I was able to catch him without any nonsense and no treats. I brought him out to change blankets, gave him a couple of treats while he was out and put him away.
Could barn staff in a hurry catch him without patience or treats? Probably not. But it doesn't matter. He's at home with us and he's adapting to being a friendly member of our herd, like the rest of them. Patience and positive association has always made the change for us.

I acquired a hackney pony last fall. He is a friendly enough fellow to handle until you'd want to go into his pen to catch him. Then he too would play the game of "you can't catch me." I was aware of this habit when I brought him home so we'd make sure to go in and give him some treats and pets daily, and bring him out for grain, stretches and brushing. We have not had him in regular work yet, just positive association. Yesterday I was able to catch him without any nonsense and no treats. I brought him out to change blankets, gave him a couple of treats while he was out and put him away.
Could barn staff in a hurry catch him without patience or treats? Probably not. But it doesn't matter. He's at home with us and he's adapting to being a friendly member of our herd, like the rest of them. Patience and positive association has always made the change for us.
Great news with the "catch me if you can" win!😂 I think I could see your smile from here.😁

I have a mini that likes to play keep away when it's time to go in.
any suggestions? He's not as bad for me as for others who are getting frustrated with him.
Is this a boarding facility? He is stalled at night? Is this the only time he is handled?
I agree with the other suggestions. Try not to interact with him if you are in a hurry. Never fails that if you only have 5 minutes, the horse will choose that time to act up.

Thansk for all the suggestions. Titan is definitely treat oriented so we'll try that but I'm learning that some days, like yesterday when we finally had some sun after all the horses had been confined for several days due to icy footing. They wer finaly out in the pasture again. He just knew he was where he wanted be and had no intention of doing anything else. I could not disagree with him.

Whoops, I'm late to the game! Like everyone else has said, food is a great option if it works for your horse and the people interacting with him. If bringing in the horses is a routine it will be easy to add some food to make the routine more enticing. I keep a treat dispenser inside my minis' shelter and when it's time to come in at night, I fill the dispenser with a small handful of hay pellets. I used to shake the dispenser to get them running to the gate and now they wait at the gate every night before I even fill the dispenser.

If coming in is a more random event, like coming in to work, groom, vet, etc., food can still be helpful to associate catching and haltering with good things, but like others have also said, it is important that you add times of no work, no expectations too. If catching and haltering always means work on your schedule the sight of the halter does not look fun. On good days when he will allow catching, and you have no schedule, halter him then take it right off. On another day, halter him and love on him in ways he enjoys, like petting or brushing, or just sit with him in the pasture. The presence of the halter or people should not indicate work or the end of fun.

It also doesn't hurt to make work itself more enjoyable - before you exercise, train, groom, or whatever he might not find super enjoyable, start with a little bucket of hay or some loving on him. Focus on building a relationship by enjoying each other's company before getting to the nitty-gritty.

All that said, there is no arguing with a horse having a grand ol' time after being confined! My young geldings like to run laps and rough house every morning after being let out, anything I need can be accomplished a little later.

Back