Mine That Bird vs. Rachael Alexandra

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muffntuf

Reaction score
Well I did watch the Preakness and yes I agree that filly is talented and is a great filly - BUT - a couple more lengths of the race and Mine That Bird would have taken her. (I don't think the jockey on Mine That Bird made his move quick enough.)

What will the Belmont be the real test for both of these horses? 1 1/2 miles is a long distance and Rachel didn't give her all. If Mine That Bird would have made his move before the 13 mark - would he have caught her?

The Belmont ought to be the race to watch!

I do hope they are both in the Belmont. Bird so would have had her today if he hadn't been stuck in traffic.

I do think Mine that Bird would have caught the filly had it been a longer race or had the jockey made his move just one second quicker. I know they say she doesnt like the track, and maybe thats so, but I think Mine That Bird will give her a run for her money in the Belmont. Either way, she is an amazing filly and makes it look effortless. It's always nice to see a filly win against the boys
default_wub.png

~Jen~

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are awesome horses! I do believe Mine That Bird would have passed Rachael Alexandra if he hadn't been caught in the traffic. Also feel the jockey waited too long to start moving her up. Can hardly wait for the Belmont!!!

I agree--if Mine That Bird hadn't gotten boxed in, then had to go 'out and around', which can make a huge difference with race horses, I believe he'd have caught and passed her. MTB's jock did not ride the race as was done in the Derby; of course, the jock for THAT was now on the filly, and sounding to me a bit like he's rationalizing for why she 'NEARLY' got caught...both are clearly great horses, each should be given its due.

IF both horses are sound to start in the Belmont, it should be one HECK of a highly-anticipated race...I just want every horse to start, and FINISH, sound and whole. Never again an Eight Belles, nor a Barbaro, end for ANY racing horse.

Margo

Just got home and didn't get to watch - wonder why Calvin chose to ride the filly. I thought she was a late entry to the Preakness, seems like he would have committed to MTB after the Derby. Nice to see a filly take the boys though.
default_smile.png

Jan

I'm sure that all thirteen horses (or make that their jockeys, trainers or owners...) have a compelling explanation why they didn't run their best race, but that's part of what makes any race (with the possible exception of a match race). Just as basketball games are not won or lost by last second shots but by everything that goes on throughout the entire game.

I rooted for both RA and MTB, hoping for a one-two finish either way between the two. The filly and the gelding beat the stallions!

My most fervent wish, however, was for none to be injured, so overall I'm very happy and looking forward to the Belmont Stakes. For both MTB and RA, let's hope for a sloppy track!

(I loved hearing that after the Derby, MTB's folks placed the winner's blanket of roses on the statue of Barbaro.)

Calvin said that when Rachel felt Mine That Bird coming at her that she dug in and pulled hard again... I think if he would have gone head to head with her that she still would have won... but no matter, it was the best possible outcome for me! Supertsar filly struggles with the footing and still wins - and Derby-winning come-from-behind small gelding comes in a strong second and proves he was not just a One Hit Wonder like others before him.

415-Preakness_Horse_Racing.sff.standalone.prod_affiliate.79.jpg

Why did Calvin switch to the filly? Because he feels she is the best horse he has ever ridden... and before the Derby his agent made it known that whatever 3 year old colt/gelding Calvin might ride in the Triple Crown Races.. if Rachel was also entered Calvin would chose her....

Now I would like to see Rachel Alexandra and Zenyatta face off...

The fact that they laid MTB's rug of roses from the derby on the statue of Barbaro made me have goose bumps...that made me really root for him. Im just really happy that it was a good race and no horses got hurt. I look forward to the Belmont. I was also unaware at the # of goggles the jockeys wear....some wear 12 identical pairs.

I just got around to watching it, what a race! I am extremely impressed with Mine That Bird, he had a tough race, being stuck in the back and then having to go WIDE around the rest of the field and he still nearly caught Rachel Alexandra. Another three strides and he would have had her! She is an incredible filly (don't get me wrong, I love mares and it is nice to see her beat the boys), but she had smooth race, Mine That Bird is just an incredible little horse!!!

Caught RA, maybe, but I don't know about passing her. No one has ever "looked her in the eye" yet. Calvin hit her for the first time in this race, because he was afraid she might ease off before the race was over. There have been many races lost by a horse that was caught napping by a challenge that came on quickly from behind. It was one heck of a race, I was sorry that only one of them could win! Whether the Belmont will be a rematch or not remains to be seen, it's a distance that has proven the undoing of many Superhorses in the past. RA's new owner was making undecided noises about entering her, he wants her in the broodmare band in the future. He intends to breed her to Curlin. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Yes the new owner that just paid $10M for her - did not commit to the Belmont. Which might be the wisest - it is a 1 1/2 mile track. But it sure would be something to see MTB and RA run against each other!

Kendall Jackson Chardonnay is good...

I am just sad that Mr. Jackson let Steve Asmussen take over as Rachel's trainer.

Ick.
default_no.gif

Her original trainer was doing a fantastic job... why not leave her with people she knew?

Where can I watch the race? I missed it, and would love to see it.

Mine That Bird would have caught her if he just had a few more lengths!! Unfortunately he got stuck behind horses and couldn't find a clean way thru! The KY Derby longshot and all of 15.1 hands, he's a superstar!!! I wish he had a better name so I could name my expected foal after him! I love him!
default_wub.png

Tammy

Too bad he's a gelding too!!
I love the fact he is a gelding in fact I think that makes him all that more endearing!

If only this horse didn't get stuck in traffic....if only my horse didn't have to go wide around that horse that stumbled....if only the race was 1/16 mile longer....or 1/16 mile shorter...such is horse racing!
default_laugh.png

I love it when a long shot wins--but I also love it when a filly goes out there & beats the boys. With a little more room to run maybe he'd have beat her, and maybe he wouldn't have. No one can say for sure if on this particular day he'd have been able to pass her, or if she'd have answered his challenge & held on to her lead. Who can say that she didn't have a little more to give had she really needed it?

Latest posts

Back