Rachel Alexandra will not race in the Belmont

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
Statement by Jess Jackson on behalf of Stonestreet Stables and Harold

McCormick:

“Rachel Alexandra is an incredible thoroughbred who has proven to be

the best three year old in racing today. We are elated by all the

attention her wins in the Oaks and Preakness has garnered the sport.

The many letters and emails we have received from young girls and racing

enthusiasts lets us know that many fans are proud of Rachel. When we

purchased Rachel, our goal was to restore the sport’s vitality and

grow its fan base by extending the racing careers of its stars.

After careful consideration, we have decided not to run Rachel

Alexandra in the Belmont Stakes next weekend. We have advised Calvin

Borel, Chip Woolley and Belmont of our decision. We thank them, the

media and the fans for their many courtesies and patience while we

pondered.

We know the media and many fans would have liked to see her run in the

Belmont Stakes — we feel the same. But all of us sincerely interested

in the horse must agree that we only want to see her run when it is best

for her. While she is in great shape, having strong works, and

recovering well from her amazing performances, we feel Rachel deserves a

well-earned vacation. Since March 14, Rachel has won four graded races

with just two weeks rest between her last two victories. We will always

put her long-term well being first. And, of course, we want to run her

when she is fresh.

Rachel, her owners, her trainers and her fans can continue to

anticipate an exciting campaign. All major races will be considered as

we look to the rest of Rachel’s racing career.”

Wow how refreshing. A race horse owner who's actually taking his horses health into consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that was a great decision. But I think it was made because the owners and trainer knew she couldn't win a race of that length. We all know Bird would have won the Preakness if he has a few seconds more or if he had not been blocked in. JMO.

I hope that gelding flies to the finish and what a shame knowing he really should have been a Triple Crown winner. (not that I don't think Rachel is special too
default_wub.png
)

They knew exactly how to word it to make themselves look good, didn't they.
default_laugh.png
Maybe it was a decision really made in the horse's best interest, but it could be because like Carol said they knew she couldn't win. I don't think we can really know at this point. I guess that means Bird gets his rider back. I'm glad for that. I would have hated to see him have to have another different rider.

I am curious--how do you know MTB would have won the Preakness if the race were a little longer? How do you know that RA didn't have that little bit extra to give had another horse actually come up beside her? Perhaps if MTB had come right up beside her she would have dug a little deeper & still held on to her lead to the finish line?

Minimor, I agree with you 100%. She was in front at the finish line, that makes her the winner. If MTB had caught her, I believe she would have had enough run and heart in her to come back and get that push. She has all the guts in the world, and she would have done her darndest. They are both great horses IMO. Remember, Calvin is fantastic jockey, and he would not push her any harder than he had to, to win the race.

How do I know for sure? I didn't. I was just stating my opinion as stated in my post. You know we all have one. And I guess we will never know.

Sorry Carol, I had to ask, because you said

We all know Bird would have won the Preakness
and that statement sounded like more than an opinion. I most certainly don't know that--I thought perhaps you knew something that some of us don't!
default_laugh.png

I didn't think she would be in the Belmont. Which is fine. It's a longer race and they want to use her for breeding - so why not save the mare?!

I too believe Rachel would have lost or it would have been a photo ending race if MTB would have had another pole to go to.

But none the less - she won the Preakness and that makes her a tremendous asset to the owner's barn.

I would not be surprised if she wasn't already bred to Curling.

Considering that Rachel Alexandra had NEVER had a horse head her - suggesting that MTB could have simply swept past her is a bit far-fetched...
default_wink.png

Calvin Borel said that when MTB came up on the filly that she dug in for the last few strides before the wire... he felt she would have easily held MTB off. Seeing as he has ridden both of them, I'll take Calvin's opinion over any of ours.
default_smile.png

Oh well - now I can cheer for the short gelding (MTB) and not feel guilty...
default_biggrin.png

Considering that Rachel Alexandra had NEVER had a horse head her - suggesting that MTB could have simply swept past her is a bit far-fetched...
default_wink.png
Calvin Borel said that when MTB came up on the filly that she dug in for the last few strides before the wire... he felt she would have easily held MTB off. Seeing as he has ridden both of them, I'll take Calvin's opinion over any of ours.
default_smile.png

Oh well - now I can cheer for the short gelding (MTB) and not feel guilty...
default_biggrin.png
Ditto! You took the words right off of my keyboard!

At 1 1/2 miles, the Belmont is a big challenge all by itself, even without the previous two races of the Triple Crown to wear a horse down. Rachel Alexandra has had her chance to show that she can run with the boys and win. Who knows whether she will run any further races?

It's very unlikely that RA is bred to Curlin, or anyone else, at this time. A mare that is "racing fit" is not in ideal condition to breed, and the TB's are bred to foal early in the year. TB birthdays are officially Jan. 1st, and they want the horses to be born as close to that as reasonably possible. A 2-year-old born in May would be at a serious disadvantage when running against horses 3-4 months older. An animal like that might not be run until its 3-year-old year (some would argue that this is a good thing!!)

While it's disappointing that MTB can't be a Triple Crown winner because another horse got to the finish line before he did in the Preakness, it's been an exciting series, nonetheless. Is it "for sure" that he'll be on MTB in the Belmont? It's been pointed out that this was the first time a jockey stepped off of a Kentucky Derby winner to ride a different horse in the Preakness. Well, this is also the first time a jockey might win all three Triple Crown races, riding two different horses! Go Calvin!
default_aktion033.gif

I would not be surprised if she wasn't already bred to Curling.
Not likely. She has been in training all over the place (Arkansas, Louisiana, Kentucky, Maryland) without a chance to stop off at Lane's End for a rendez-vous with Curlin. Such an important breeding would not occur while she was in training...

BIRD would NEVER have won the Preakness! He would have to win the Belmont to go further than the mile and a half of the Preakness. It is what it is, and no more!

BIRD would NEVER have won the Preakness! He would have to win the Belmont to go further than the mile and a half of the Preakness. It is what it is, and no more!
Um, I believe the Preakness is a mile and three sixteenths?
default_unsure.png
The Kentucky Derby is a mile and a quarter, it's the Belmont Stakes that is a mile and a half.

Um, I believe the Preakness is a mile and three sixteenths? The Kentucky Derby is a mile and a quarter, it's the Belmont Stakes that is a mile and a half.
Exactly right, bunnylady. OR... the Preakness (with its tighter turns) is one furlong shorter than the Derby... and 3 furlongs shorter than the Belmont...
default_smile.png

And those furlongs can mean a lot when you dont have a distance horse. Some like the mud, some dont run worth beans in the mud. Some prefer grass over dirt, some like a harder track, some like a softer one, and some horses are just built for a shorter run and just dont have what it takes to add another furlong onto a race and stay out front. Some of these you will see the jockeys get after at the end of a race, but they have no more to give, and get passed up in the end.

A furlong is 220 yards- an eighth of a mile and if you are spent at a mile and a quarter, you just are not going to make a mile and a half. And a rider can feel it- you can see it in the horse at the end of a race as well.

I have watched some horses that wound up as they went- the further they went, the faster they went- but they all have a point they reach when they are 'done'. Any trainer, owner or jockey will know what his horse is capable of. They work together daily and know what the horse can do best. And they would know if their horse was able to pull off a race like that and win, or be an also ran, or worse.

I think they are smart in not risking it with her, regardless of the reason. That is a long race and if she is not ready, they are smart to keep her out of it and fit to run another day.

I am rooting for Mine that Bird to come in first, and I think it would be cool if his half brother Summer Bird was second.

Latest posts

Back