Meet my new gelding!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Irish hills farm: pleas don't think i am questioning your disision to geld your mini. That's not what i'm asking, i was just interested in why you gelded him. Like i said before, I now nothing about the mini horse world.
Ian, I never took it that way.
default_laugh.png

Well, if I'm trying to improve the Donkey Line, and Produce donkeys, and i only have 10 stalls, 1 stall is holding my Jack, 5 other stalls have my jennets, the left over four have weanling, two, which are Jennets and the others are Jacks. One of the jacks has really good confirmation, and bloodlines, Obviously i'm going to keep him show him, she how he dose. But the other one has screwed up legs, I'm not going to be breeding a donkey with bad legs. So i geld him and put him up for sale, I interview all buyers, visit there place to see where the animal would be kept, and ask questions about what they want for this animal. So i sell this gelding for 1000 bucks, And now i have an open stall for a Jack i wanted, to help my breeding program.
Did that make any sence?
And to me, this makes perfect sense.

default_wub.png
default_wub.png
Give him a hug from auntie Janet!!! I think he is going to kick butt in gelding classes next year!

Nice horse, the Super G Futurity program really pays well, especially in the driving classes at their third year in Futurity and there is not too many in the class as well. Since he did well as a stallion he ought to kick butt as a gelding and that will bring attention to your farm as well. We did the same thing with our Classic shetland named Buckeye WCF Classical Story, he was a awesome stallion and he showed very well as a stallion and we decided we were not going to use him for breeding for the larger ASPC horses so we gelded him and it made a world of difference both dealing with him at home and in the showring and we do not regret doing it at all. We also have one AMHA/AMHR gelding that is our Park Harness horse and we just purchased two ASPC horses that are weanlings from Taylors Pony Farm that are geldings for our show string for 2009. It makes things alot easier for stalling and turning out with the others too.

Congrats on you wins at Nationals, we ment to come visit with you guys and Ernie but never made it down to your barn with being busy showing everyday there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you Sheryl! This is the kind of thinking we need in the industry. Jr. did place at nationals, but like you said, you need to have a good stallion to make a great gelding.

We're going to have a G party here as soon frost hits and kills the bugs. And yes, my national champion color colt will be on that party list!

There are quite of few gelding incentives out there now and the paybacks are good. The quality of geldings is really good in those classes.

Arlene

IT would be nice to have gelding incentive programs with paybacks at the regional shows as well. And if there already is...I just can't remember!

There are, actually! Payback incentive classes at Regionals I mean!
default_smile.png
I got a check for one of my home-bred geldings placing from our Regional show. And as you said, some local shows also have gelding incentive programs.
default_smile.png

I think that Jr is going to be a super gelding, congrats!

He's a special one. Congratulations on his placing at Nationals and good luck on his. Super G career.

Hey Lori,

I got a check in the mail today from ASPC/AMHR for gelding incentives - from both National and Regional shows. NICE!!

Wondering who else I could geld...........

Hey Lori,I got a check in the mail today from ASPC/AMHR for gelding incentives - from both National and Regional shows. NICE!!

Wondering who else I could geld...........

QUICK BOYS...RUN AND HIDE!!!!

ROFLOL!!!
default_laugh.png
It's true, those payback classes are nice to place in, and I think they do help create a better market for nice geldings!
default_smile.png

His comment was, "And this is how you reward him?" Yeah, just do it.

default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
thats way to funny!!! Poor guy!!

Hes a great looking guy hes going to make an awsome gelding!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheryl,

He's beautiful! And I know, I have already benefited from you gelding a really nice boy!
default_yes.gif

Toy says "Hi" and welcomes Jr. to the "no berries" club!
default_wink.png

Well we know who's going to be getting $$ from Super G!!! He's gorgeous and should do you proud.

We just refloored our house (they finished today) so I'm recovering from the wallet shock!!! But I have plans to geld a bunch of our boys (7-8) this Winters (now if the darn flies would drop dead!).

I don't hesitate,,,,,,,,,,,just Geld!!!!!

You made a great choice and he is going to make a wonderful little show gelding!!!!

Instead of Why did you geld him,,,,,,,,,I think there should be more of, why don't you geld him.

But some are too nice to say, and some need stallions I guess,,,,,,but I love my geldings!

Latest posts

Back