Meet my new gelding!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish Hills Farm

Irish Hills Farm
Reaction score
I would like to introduce my new gelding to everyone! Irish Hills Way Cool Jr.

Junior was gelded today and will now be my Super G showboy. Junior placed 10th in his weanling stallion class at Nationals and I would think he would only do better as a gelding.

My vet asked why I had body clipped him and I told him we just got back from Nat'ls and that Junior had placed 10th. His comment was, "And this is how you reward him?" Yeah, just do it.

Anyway, this picture of Junior was taken at Nationals by Leeana.

jrnats08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang! He'll be telling the rest of the barn "hey, lose, lose, lose! Or you'll end up like me!"

Seriously Sheryl, he's beautiful and will make one kick butt show horse!

Haha funny about your vet!

He's totally gonna be an amazing gelding! LOL, regardless of how happy he is about that.
default_rolleyes.gif

I bet you will love him only more as a gelding. Our little Duckling will probably be having a similar adjustment
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

So why did you Geld him?
Ian, I gelded Junior because:

-I don't feel every stud colt born needs to be a stallion, especially here with the miniature horse breed. IMO there are WAY TO MANY stallions and not enough geldings which I feel is part of the problem with getting decent prices for colts/geldings.

-A good stallion makes an awesome gelding. To be competitive in the gelding classes today, you better have a top notch gelding and to get one of those, geld a good/great stallion.

-I don't want to have to make another pasture for him when he becomes a yearling and possibly have to isolate him from having any friends.

-AMHR has a good gelding program, Super G, that I want to participate in and I feel Junior would be a good candidate.

Thanks to everyone for their compliments. I really love Junior and look forward to having him around for years as my show gelding.
default_wub.png

oh I C. Do you get money if you win with geldings? From my point of view, i don't see gelding a miniature horse that placed at a national show. Is there anything that you get out of showing a gelding? is there any thing that the gelding is bringing back from the show, that well help improve your farm?

I no NOTHING about the Miniature horse world, So do take it the wrong way.

oh I C. Do you get money if you win with geldings? From my point of view, i don't see gelding a miniature horse that placed at a national show. Is there anything that you get out of showing a gelding? is there any thing that the gelding is bringing back from the show, that well help improve your farm?
I cannot speak for Sheryl, though I hold her as a good friend
default_yes.gif

However, the only thing a gelding cannot do is reproduce. Sheryl's new gelding is awesome, as is his daddy (who is owned by Sheryl).

My own favorite horses are my geldings and one of my goals when we decided to breed horses was specifically to breed a top notch, kick butt show gelding, so I was thrilled to get a real nice colt this year so that I can have hm as a homebred show gelding -- Just like Junior is now for Sheryl. He's only going to be more fun to show, in my opinion, as a gelding.

These days, it really does take a show stallion quality gelding to do well in halter at shows
default_yes.gif
Here, we have gelded amazingly bred and champion stallions -- never regretted it, either
default_wub.png

I no S-h-i-t- about the Miniature horse world, So do take it the wrong way.
At the National Show there are gelding (and mare) incentive classes where money can be won. The Super G program is part of the AMHR Nat'l Futurity program, that is designed especially for geldings. Again, money can be won.

When I was in MI and part of a mini club there, I designed a gelding incentive fun. JO-CO Miniatures had participated in the program with a few of their geldings and at the end of the season walked away with a check over $600.00. IT would be nice to have gelding incentive programs with paybacks at the regional shows as well. And if there already is...I just can't remember!

Also, having a gelding allows you to keep that animal out on your show string, promoting your breeding program, for an unlimited time. You don't have to worry about breeding when they get to a certain age because its "time." A good horse will attract attention and get you notice. That will get people interested in your horses.

ok, i am starting to breed Mini donkeys, If my Jennet dosn't a Jack worthy of breeding then he get's gelded, and probably be sold as a diving, or a Companion horse. I don't have space or time to be taken up by a gelding, if it's costing me money. Unless his Confermation is good, then i might keep him for a season and show him as a gelding and get some prize money with him. -Idk, dose that sound horrible?

Plus, Sheryl, when people see you out with Junior as your show gelding, they will say "Wow! If that's her GELDING, I wonder how nice her STALLION must be?!?!"

ok, i am starting to breed Mini donkeys, If my Jennet dosn't a Jack worthy of breeding then he get's gelded, and probably be sold as a diving, or a Companion horse. I don't have space or time to be taken up by a gelding, if it's costing me money. Unless his Confermation is good, then i might keep him for a season and show him as a gelding and get some prize money with him. -Idk, dose that sound horrible?
To my way of thinking, it doesn't sound very progressive or with the times, but we all have our own herds so that we can all do as we feel best.

Okay, I think I get what your trying to say. Cross your Jenet with a GOOD quality Jack. If you get a good quality Jack (ling) lol -- out of it, try and sell him as a breeding animal. IF the result is a so-so Jack (ling) Sorry can't help it -- then geld it and try and recover some of your expenses.

**I don't want to geld a so-so colt because I don't have time or space for a gelding. It'll cost me money. I won't be able to sell him for more than a nickel.** THIS thought IMO is what is wrong with miniature breeders. Some not all- not generalizing honestly.

How do we expect to get good prices for our GOOD quality colts and geldings when so-so quality (pet) colts/geldings are selling for next to nothing? Then everyone says well I can go down the street for a fraction of the price. To which I usually respond...than go and when you decide to breed and can't get more than what you paid..don't be surprised.

To my way of thinking, it doesn't sound very enlightened or with the times, but we all have our own herds so that we can all do as we feel best.
Well, if I'm trying to improve the Donkey Line, and Produce donkeys, and i only have 10 stalls, 1 stall is holding my Jack, 5 other stalls have my jennets, the left over four have weanling, two, which are Jennets and the others are Jacks. One of the jacks has really good confirmation, and bloodlines, Obviously i'm going to keep him show him, she how he dose. But the other one has screwed up legs, I'm not going to be breeding a donkey with bad legs. So i geld him and put him up for sale, I interview all buyers, visit there place to see where the animal would be kept, and ask questions about what they want for this animal. So i sell this gelding for 1000 bucks, And now i have an open stall for a Jack i wanted, to help my breeding program.

Did that make any sence?

Irish hills farm: pleas don't think i am questioning your disision to geld your mini. That's not what i'm asking, i was just interested in why you gelded him. Like i said before, I now nothing about the mini horse world.

Back