Marlanoc Foal Thread, All Foaled! 4 colts, 1 filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh poor babies miss their mummies, yes paddock weaning is wonderful.

So everyone is now chipped
default_thumbup.gif

Everyone's had a bit of handling, Tilly got a big snuggle while a nattered to someone and it was nice to have her chill out. She's getting the idea of walking next to me, I think she's ahead of all the others! After that horrid start she's really coming through for me. I'll try and graduate her into a yard as soon as possible.

Loki and Thor had a tie up session and let them handle them all over. Those two make it easy!

Red had to have a tie up session as he was more interested in fighting. So I parked him at the fence with a pile of hay and enough lead to eat it. Didn't take him long to decide that standing still with a slack lead and a mouthful of hay was his best option
default_firstprize.gif

Picasso is getting less reactive, he'll jump away at first but he is already turning to face me and I can take a hold of him fairly easily. Need to improve his cuddle skills so we can have some nice chill out time.

Of course combine today with yesterday and no sleep and I'm a bit like this now
default_thud.gif

Tilly has graduated to the outside yards!
default_firstprize.gif

She walked there all by herself with no bum rope, just her lead. SO proud of her. I was going to give her a few extra days in the stall to work on catching her without her halter on but she really didn't like it in there, so she guilt tripped me into an early release
default_new_rofl.gif
She's all sweetness though so I'll forgive her.

Thor and Loki are due to start leading lessons, they greet me at the fence and most of the time will climb all over each other (and me if I let them!) for a cuddle. Not QUITE ready for halters off but they're getting there. They need to stop distracting me from training though... we keep playing instead
default_new_rofl.gif
Bad Viking foals!

Red and Picasso are sharing a stall, Red decided to try and go through the fence of the yard so I had to move him. Not so good for Picasso he is a lot easier on his own! Now that Tilly has graduated I'll move one of the rotten rangas into the other stall and get back to work with them.
default_torch.gif

Red actually came up very calmly off some lead pressure last night so that was good progress. Picasso is thinking about coming up to me all on his own. I think once they can't use each other as a crutch they'll progress very quickly. They both seem like very different horses though, Picasso still has a softness to him so once he starts trusting me he'll do very well. Red is all fire, it won't be so much waiting for him to trust but showing him that cooperation makes life easier on both of us! .

No.....GOOD VIKING FOALS!!!!

So much fun to read your "training" -- whether it be you training them or.......
default_whistling.gif

Thor calls to me if I walk past and don't stop for a cuddle
default_new_rofl.gif

I figure I could tell everyone just the good and professional bits of the whole process... but that's not really the whole situation! Training is ups and downs and problem solving and distractions and cuddles! It's more fun with the whole story ;)

I want a video of this "training"
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
I actually have a video stuck on my phone from when they were only a few months old... I might have to try and get it off as it's hysterical.

oh you must Bree! we miss seeing your gorgeous babies and their little antics! hilarious!!

glad your beautiful little Tilly is doing so well! you know we lvoe that precious baby girl!

I'll see if I can locate the cord to connect it to my computer. Loki does push me over in it though so it probably doesn't highlight my best training skills
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl

So today's updates.

Thor and Loki are now halterless. We'll be focusing on catching skills for the rest of the week and if all goes well they'll get to move out to one of the small paddocks, probably along with Sterling and Storm.

Tilly has been working on her tie up skills, she's really not fond of being stuck so we've been taking it nice and slow and doing a lot of leg handling. I think she's coming around nicely to the whole idea.

Picasso and Red are getting what I jokingly call "cuddle training"
default_new_rofl.gif
Mostly I'm just asking them to yield to pressure and hanging around with them in a low key way to win their trust. If Thor and Loki move into the big paddock then they'll move out to their yards, I'll then put Apollo and Derby in with them as an easy going buddy and role model. I think they'll really benefit from having an experienced friend around that they can rely on.

That all sounds like so much work! I've spent 9 years trying to train my kids to yeild to pressure but they are still at the ''halters on '' stage.

default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl

I think my mother would say she's spent 25 years trying to train me and the foals are probably ahead of me!
default_new_rofl.gif

Exhausted!
default_thud.gif

Spent Friday working for my mother... which translates to "complete job list as fast as possible so my grandparents can steal me and boss me around"
default_new_rofl.gif

Then spent Saturday at a pop culture convention.

Today was spent moving horses around
default_thumbup.gif

Thor and Loki are now in one of the 1/4 acre paddocks with Special. They had a good hoon to celebrate!

Tilly is still in the yard.

Picasso moved out of his stable and into a yard with his old buddy Derby. He did a pretty good job of walking out there and is much more interested in me now that Derby is all over me like a rash! We played lip tickles over Derby's rump.

Red also moved into a yard, he was much more reluctant to step out of the stall (that scary new surface issue!) but walked much nicer on the lead. He has Apollo as a babysitter which will do him some good.

Have considered giving Tilly a friend but I think Lyric is too mean to share a yard!
default_new_rofl.gif
We all know how good Princess Lyric is at sharing.... Hopefully she keeps progressing this week so she can move into the other 1/4 paddock with the yearlings.

Pics! My mother took them so they are mostly of Thor.

IMG_6126.jpg

Apollo, her pony

IMG_6122.jpg

Picasso

IMG_6131.jpgIMG_6132.jpg

Red

IMG_6105.jpgIMG_6160.jpg

IMG_6180.jpg

Thor

Some of you might remember I've had my fingers crossed to replicate Dreamy's "super trot"

Neither are in full stride in the following pics.... do you think she did it? :D

2010_0522_3093.jpgIMG_6168.jpg

Still can''t get over Thor's hair! lol its like a little mop. They're all totally gorgeous, you mustn''t get any work done.

No work ever
default_new_rofl.gif

Thor has his mum's mane, he'll have a nice thick but short appie hair-do.

Loki got luckier, I think he has his Dad's hair :D

Some of you might remember I've had my fingers crossed to replicate Dreamy's "super trot"

Neither are in full stride in the following pics.... do you think she did it? :D

YES!!! (And I LOVE the pictures of Thor!)

/monthly_04_2013/post-43867-0-67466000-1365931499_thumb.jpg /monthly_04_2013/post-43867-0-85822800-1365931729_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
'Course you do, he is the spotty one so that makes you biased
default_whistling.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

I'm very excited to see what that trot becomes as he grows and as he improves on the halter.

Oh I just love them all, but I am drawn to Red with his lovely blue eyes!!

Latest posts

Back