Mares Not Coming Back into Heat After Foaling.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon

Reaction score
I was just wondering how common it is for a mare not to come back into a visual heat after foaling. Sweetgrass foaled May 6th and she has been teased to the stallion pretty much everyday of the last 2 months. Is it possible they dont come back into heat or is she just not showing we put her right to him for a good while :eek: I'm simply just curious how often this happens shes the only mare out of 8 that have foaled that isnt showing :eek: LOL we were hoping for a filly version of Zorro :bgrin
default_rolleyes.gif
: Really how can we breed her even if she is in a "heat" of some sort if she's totally not interested.

This is them just for the curious
default_smile.png
. In MY Avatar Mare on the Top Sallion on the bottom owned by LittlefootFarm. These are my Colts sire and Dam.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mare that foaled over three weeks ago hasn't show visual heat either. How soon do the mares normally come in heat after foaling??? Good question!

My mare that foaled over three weeks ago hasn't show visual heat either. How soon do the mares normally come in heat after foaling??? Good question!
Thanks ;)

And for that question I would think in 3-4 weeks after foaling but its been 12 since my mare foaled and nope no way shes not showing a thing and we tease her to him
default_rolleyes.gif
: Maybe she doesnt like the stallion we tease her too LOL.

Mares normally show a foal heat at anywhere from 8-15 days post foaling and then again at 30 days. However most will not get bred if serviced before day 11 after foaling. The uterus needs time to go back to normal. I have had mares (this year in fact) have foal heat on day 21 so every mare is different.

Some mares will not show heat with foal on side. Have a couple of those also. I have the vet ultrasound and breed when follicle is ready. They are not peeing or showing outside signs of heat but will accept a stallion or attempt to kick because of the foal. They cycle every 21 days. So you would check at 30 days, then 45 then 60 ect ect.

Hope that helps. I don't like breeding after 1 Aug. The bugs and heat are so hard on the newbies. And it seems mares are harder to get bred, maybe they know something.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

We have a few that wont show either with a foal. My mare is one of them. She will show sometimes, other times not.

I look at it this way. If they are not showing heat, they dont want to be bred, therefore they dont get bred. I wont force a breeding.

I have two mares that will even stand but not cycle till AFTER the foal is weaned. I call them my every other mares..... meaning we get foals every other year.

I have also found that the heat of summer is affecting wether my mares settle or not. We have tracked this year when our mares in previous years have cycled and settled. Almost all of our foals have been born before May or in the fall. In the extreme heat of Virgina and NC , the mares that I bred between June and October have not settled and two have not even cycled all year after those breedings. Somehow the heat etc is fooling their bodies!

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
It really is starting to get late into the year. :eek: Oh well looks like she'll be my 2008 driving mare.
default_wub.png
: Shes got action so Im excited though I kinda was excited to see what shed throw
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Two of my girls didn't cycle with foals at their sides this year. Two did. It doesn't matter much, we cut back breeding this year anyways. So they'll be my every other year girls... :bgrin

Lucy

When my maiden mare foaled, she wouldn't come back into season until the foal was almost weaned. After her second foal, she came in just fine
default_smile.png
She's a very protective mom
default_smile.png

Some will not breed back when they are still nursing a foal.. and end up 'every other year' mares. I dont think that any amount of teasing will change their mind.

I have several mares that wont breed with a baby at their side. I dont force them either. Also if a mare takes a year off from foaling here I just figure she needed a break. There are a ton of mini foals out there already being bred. I have a few less every year than I "could " have but I let them tell me when they are ready to get pregnant or not.

My appy mare foaled in Feb. and didnt come into heat till May! I dont know if it had to do with the weather change, or what, but I had her for 3 weeks, and then foaled. But she did show sign of heat in May, and she did breed with my stud, and hasnt come back in.

Ok Dev here's the scoop. If you don't NEED her to have a foal next year then skip the year and she should come into heat as usual next spring. If you really want her to have a foal next year then you can try treating her with Regumate and a prostaglandin shot. I know some people think this is forcing a mare but the reality is that sometimes people want foals from certain mares every year. The mare is either not showing heat because she is worried about protecting the foal or not cycling because she is lactating heavily. I agree it is getting late in the year to breed but if you're interested in the protocol contact me privately. You may need to use it in the future.

Ok Dev here's the scoop. If you don't NEED her to have a foal next year then skip the year and she should come into heat as usual next spring. If you really want her to have a foal next year then you can try treating her with Regumate and a prostaglandin shot. I know some people think this is forcing a mare but the reality is that sometimes people want foals from certain mares every year. The mare is either not showing heat because she is worried about protecting the foal or not cycling because she is lactating heavily. I agree it is getting late in the year to breed but if you're interested in the protocol contact me privately. You may need to use it in the future.
I think we figured if she isnt coming into it this year I'm just going to train her for show ring driving next year
default_yes.gif
: But if she continued to not show a heat it would seem like a possibilty though Im hoping she shows next year on her own when zorros in his big boy stall
default_wink.png
: We're expecting like 8 - 10 anyways she doesnt "need" to be bred she works herself off in the shwo ring anyway
default_wub.png
: Shes got tons of things that can occupy her lol
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Okay I have a Question does Regumate or prostaglandin shot Work? I have a mare who after June Stopped coming into heat.

Okay I have a Question does Regumate or prostaglandin shot Work? I have a mare who after June Stopped coming into heat.
It depends what is going on in the ovary etc. If things are normal and she is just not cycling then it usually does. The mare is a complicated being and sometimes it doesn't. We had good luck using it on our mare for years.

I do not have nearly as much experience with this as many on here, but from my experience I have found that mares with their first foals often will not come back in heat until their foals are weaned. I'm sure that is not always the case, but that has been my experience with my 4 first time mares (if I haven't lost count). Two of them I left open till the next year and two were bred later in the year for a fall foal. I think in the future I will just leave them open till the next year. My fall foal this year was born at 291 days and in the middle of the summer. :eek:

I have never had any problems with my more mature/experienced mares coming in heat after foaling.

I have a mare that will come in heat 7 days after foaling. But if I don't breed her on that heat cycle or she doesn't take then she won't come back in heat until after the foal is weaned.

Yes the mare Devon is referring to was a maiden mare & seems to be focused

on her foal with no interest in breeding....that is ok by me so she will likely get

rebred in the spring, once Zorro is weaned & her cycling returns.

Thanks for all the replies....Devon was hoping for another foal to match LOL

Latest posts

Back