Mare's Milk

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacharyfarms

Reaction score
I did a search but couldn't get anything to come up so I'm not sure where I read the info before. Who on here has tasted mares milk to see if the mare is ready to foal??? Somewhere I have read that it is salty and then when mare is ready to foal turns sweet. Yukky, perhaps but at this point in marestare for me I'm willing to try it
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
: :bgrin

Sort of half way between unsweetened coconut milk and goats milk- nutty!!

And no, it's not gross at all, needs must when you have no milk for your tea!!!
default_smile.png

Oh Goodness Jane..I must cross back over that pond to meet you in person.l.you crack me up.. :lol: Okay.. now is that milk only sweet when the mare is ready to foal???????I'm assuming your using this milk for your tea after the mare has foaled..I am looking for a quick way to test for foal readiness.
default_wink.png
:

Okay, well, it does sound YUCK to me to think about however, I know that there are some places where people routinely drink mare's milk. Anyway, it's not on my diet so I'm taking a pass all around on it.

actually i've always heard mares milk is sweeter than cow's milk..and HONESTLY wen i think about where "people milk" comes from i'd MUCH MUCH rather drink mares milk than milk comming from a nasty old cow! lol also i've been to dairy barns and they are pretty darned gross in them too..most horses are better maintained! lol i've often thought about washing off one of the mares teets and milking some and giving it a try! lol

No, Cows milk is sweeter than horse milk. Horse milk also carries the "cream" in it in the same way that goats milk does- it does not separate out as easily as cow's milk does, and thus does not make cream and cheese as easily.

I do not believe horses milk changes much at all- it is as unsweet at foaling as it is at weaning- altho' obviously the consistency changes.

You might be referring to Jorene's site. She uses that salty/sweet taste to help her predict foaling. She has biggies, not minis.

Here's the page http://www.ceoates.com/info/Mare_Milk.html
Thank you Carol for that site...that is where I had seen it on..And Jane thank you for telling me what to do with that frozen (non colostrum) milk that I have. I would never have thought to use it in my coffee but I will definately try it. (I like my tea with just a touch of honey no milk
default_wink.png
: .)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back