mare with discharge

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickisminis

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 4 year old mare that is going to have her first baby any day now. I noticed to day that she has what looks like dried blood on her valva (right word). I have noticed it one other time but thought she had scratch it while rubbing against something. What makes this time different is when we were "bonding" today a reached down to check her for a bag there was more bried blood between her teets (sorry I am trying to find the right words. Trust me if I was talking to my vet I would be using other words)

. I checked for scratches and didn't see any. Is this something I should take her in to get looked at? I can't call my vet because he does nothing over the phone. If you call with an issue he always say bring them in. Thanks for your help...Vicki

Vicki, she has probably discharged the mucuus plug. Should mean she is getting pretty close to foaling. I don't know the acceptable time range for when it should be discharged, it's something you don't always notice. We had a big mare last year lose hers 30 days prior to foaling which is way too early. I did get a little panicked at that, but the vet put her on Regumate and she held the foal for the whole 30 days, to foal right on time.

If that's what it is, probably nothing to worry about - just get ready for a foal!
default_smile.png

Jan

I'm no expert, but I do agree with Jan. It's probably the plug and she is probably within a few days of foaling. I have a mare that had slightly bloody discharge on Tuesday so I'm expecting a baby soon!!

Flirt did that exact same thing last year. Shes the only mare I have actually seen lose the plug. First I just saw a small amount of blood then later we saw the mucus. She foaled the following night
default_smile.png

I agree with Jan, Parmela and Kay, but I've also had a mare get a little blood back there from MAJOR butt rubbing. Rub till they make a raw spot.

Charlotte

Hello, Thanks everyone. She is my smallest mare and will be a first time mom,so she has me really nervous. I already have a camera and foal alert on her and I'll just keep an extra close eye on her. Thanks very much for your help everyone.

I just want to add.. I love this forum and have learned so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back