Mare to Big for stallion?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGStables

Reaction score
This has been a little debate. I just bought a 37"-38" mare to breed to my 33" stallion. We are doing this for a 4H club, they want to teach their kids about pregnant mares and foals. Most everyone I talk to says he will get her no problem a few are doubters. Right now he only pasture breeds, he is not into hand breeding no matter what we do. Just want some input, she's a beautiful Silver Bay mare I know she'd throw a very nice foal with my stallion.

Before I forget she may be a bit shorter after we get her feet trimmed, they are in great need of work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be no problems. I've bred a 37.75" mare to a 30", but can't do much smaller then that otherwise you would have to dig a ditch for the mare.

default_saludando.gif
MY big mare 15hh used to lay down for minis TART

default_laugh.png
Haha I can just picture that 15.0 mare laying down for a little stallion. That's hilarious. But glad to know others think the same as I do, I figured they would find a way.

default_laugh.png
Haha I can just picture that 15.0 mare laying down for a little stallion. That's hilarious. But glad to know others think the same as I do, I figured they would find a way.

default_saludando.gif
Dont you worry Where theres a WILLY theres a way LOL

We have been wandering the same thing- we have 2 mares (33 and 34 in) and my stallion is 28- we have watched him and he has a hard time, with no luck that we have whitnessed.. Maybe he is successful when we are not looking- wish there was a way to know for sure!

I check my mare everyday and look to see if there is any well... white stuff around her vulva.
default_unsure.png

Most of my senior mares are over 34" or right on it (our younger ones are smaller as we have bred down) and Dragon (28") copes very well with the coverings - mind you we do dig holes/use banks and humps in the fields, plus we 'assist' him! But after covering 'large girls' this year (mostly they are overweight as well!) his last girl to be in season was one of his previous wives who is only 30" -- he managed all on his own and was so proud of himself and so pleased to complete the action without undue huffing and puffing. It was more a question of 'hey, I can do this one, stand aside you lot'! LOL!!

All my boys are around the 30" mark and have never had any problem coping with the larger girls in the past when we have run them out and pasture bred.

My 32" covered my 38" no problem, put them in a sloping paddock and they'll be fine I'm sure!
default_wink.png

I keep hearing this, but so far, my 31" stallion has difficulty covering my 36" mares by himself and with help. How to put it delicately; when he goes up, it goes up, he gets a wet belly, she gets nothing. We've tried the hill/hole and other things to help; but mares don't seem to be as accommodating as others.

With help, he did manage to get one mare pregnant a couple years ago, but having trouble now (last year I had other things going on, so didn't get him bred to anyone).

My 26.5 stallion got my 35 mare, He had a hard time, but he did it! He gets my 32 and 33 much easier

LittleBittyBritches did your stallion get the mare pasture breeding? Thats the one issue I run into, my stallion will NOT hand breed. They let him pasture breed his whole life and he is not liking me trying to get him to Hand Breed. Once our new farm is finished I am hoping he will learn to hand breed because he will not get mares other wise.

Sue had a surprise when her daughters 26" stallion got her 34" mare. She had been bred to another stallion and DNA found he was not the sire and that the sire of the tiny filly was the 26" stallion. To borrow the phrase "where there is a willy, there is a way!!"

Rabbits sire, Fred came to me 11years old, never been asked to hand breed. At the time that was all I did so I put him on a long line, tied up the mare and waited. Eventually he got the message. I moved closer by increments, and in the end he accepted me and even let me "help". We compromised, in the end, and I just put the mares in when they were in season and held them whilst he covered them, he was loose, but we knew each other then.

On the other hand, Rabbit is 28" and he got my section B mare all 11.2hands of her, in foal , loose! With a slope, a tail wind and a bit of luck there is no telling what can be accomplished.

The way I handled it without having to lead the stallion, was to have him loose in a large stall and take the mare in standing heat to him, I stood outside the door holding the lead rope. He was pretty small, but knowledgeable and worked it out alone.

Another tiny guy of mine was only hand bred, and he did not mind at all having me assist him to the right place. To keep him from falling over, I would brace him at his rear with my body. Yes, it could be comical ! but balancing on tippy toes caused falling over at times!!

I love you guys willy remark, gave me a good laugh.

With one of my small stallions (28 1/2") -- I found my 34" mare actually squatting down so he didn't have to work so hard!! And he certainly got the job done. I'm not sure who wanted who more -- but hormones can be a wonderful thing!!
default_yes.gif
My mares aren't that accommodating, so I went out and bought a mare small enough for the small stallion.

we pasture bred a 36 mare with our 29 inch stud she foaled a nice filly for the new owners.I have noticed it seems like the ones you want try to bred want and the wants you want to bred don't will LOL.I know one time I tried our 27 inch stud to several mares it was touch to hand bred, but his wasn't able to pasture bred by himself.I got one mare in foal to our 27 inch before he was sold. The new owners have had several I think five foals by him by hand breeding him.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back