Mare ready to foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - from your pics I would say she still POSSIBLY has a LITTLE while to go. Would like to see her tum dropped a bit more and with the weight sunk forwards. She could foal with her vagina looking like that or it might change more to a bit longer/looser.

However she COULD decide to change everything very suddenly and foal tonight! LOL!! One thing though is that she is unlikely to foal after lying quietly for a short time. She will be up and down, up and down, and walking her stable - well they USUALLY do! LOL!!

So not much help from me - you just need to keep her in view every minute you can.
default_yes.gif

Her behind is relaxed but I think it will go a little more as in a little longer and more swollen looking.

When you take pics of her side on crouch down as we will get a better feel for her belly. If you do it standing up you are looking down at her so cant see her underneath as much.

Of course she is also quite hairy so harder to see her exact shape. I think she has a bit of time to go - How Much?? I dont know. She is getting closer and trust me you will notice big changes in her when she is ready.

yep, she is making progress, still a little further Cassie and then you will get your baby
biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone for the kind words n looking at suzie for me it's s big help I have started giving her sugar flakes mashedvup in her dinner n she loves it'n

Thanks for watching suzie night

I got excited when I saw her stretch and twitch her head a bit ago but there wasn't much fidgeting after that. yet.
default_smile.png

She seems calm now. I also find that the go into high alert mode like there is somthing spooking them but it must be that they are having contractions.

LOL!! Diane. I do so agree with everything you have said. But reading all our advice/replies to Cassie' last question and pictures, ALL of us have made good use of USUALLY, POSSIBLY, MAYBE!
default_rolleyes.gif
default_biggrin.png

I think by now poor Cassie must be thinking that none of us can help her to know exactly when Suzie will foal - which is quite right of course!
default_saludando.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_saludando.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Cassie, as Diane says, when Suzie starts doing a routine of being very restless, ups and downs, possibly squats, etc., then we might well be found shouting "SHE's FOALING"
default_yes.gif

Of course as Suzie has already had foals, she may - all being well, which of course it will be - foal very quickly. Just wondering how far her stable is from your house? It is possible (there's that word again!) that by the time one of the watchers got you on the phone/alarms etc etc and you flew to her, she might well have her new baby already with her!!

Last year we had cameras so I was watching mine carefully, absolutely no signs of anyone showing first stages of labour. Got up, pulled on my wellie boots and went to the barn (50 yards away) to do one of my regular hay/pick up droppings visits, walked down the centre isle dropping bundles of hay over each door (my barn was about 60 feet in length), walked back to the beginning and Mummy mare (yes it was her) was down and her foal half way out!! From when I left the cameras indoors to when she foaled was approx 5 minutes. The second one to do this to me was a maiden mare, exactly the same except I would have had more time as she did not foal so fast, but she was down and pushing with no pre-signs.

Now you can see why we use words like USUALLY, POSSIBLY, and MAYBE!! LOL!!

Well Suzie has definitely been the lady of leisure tonight she has been laid down a lot. Again she does a very good statue so I have to keep refreshing the page lol

She looks like she is in 1st stages Labor!
default_smile.png
Keeping fingers crossed..
aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm not seeing that.
default_no.gif

I see a relaxed VERY PREGNANT mare, now resting on her side out flat, quite calm...eyes gong between open and closed, just purely tired out.

JMHO.

Of course, I certainly could be wrong.
default_smile.png
I think you're right, she was looking at her sides and pushing off her back feet a lot and flaring her tail, but only lasted a short time, I haven't been watching much so that might be something normal for her..

Oh well, wishful thinking anyway.. lol

I believe our Suzie has been her usual lazy self. I am off to bed. Have a good day Cassie

Snd farm thanks for watching
default_smile.png
I believe that they do this because the foal is stretching it's legs getting used to using them which causes discmfort to the mare n she starts doing those thing like you noticed last nite they can last up tO 10-15 min of the fOal moving n stretching n it looks a lot like first stage labour
default_smile.png

Anna the stable bock would maybe be a max of 20 m from our house you can see the back oh our house from the outdoor cam

Night Renee thanks for watching
default_smile.png

Thankyou Anna n diane for watching also
default_smile.png
I'm going out to feed the munchkin now

Oh n thanks for the comments on the pics
default_smile.png

The guys at church last night were teasing me lol saying that she wasn't pregnant n such n of course that got me going hehe saying she was and that he could come n feel the foal moving lol it would be perfect justice if she had it before wednesday nite n I could take the pics to him at soccer n say that's what you get for thinking my mare ain't pregnant LOL

Anyways I better go feed her now
default_smile.png

oh and another question hehe I gave Suzie her booster tetnus in May, when I thought she was going to foal... I know now what signs I have to look for and such, but because my vet thought that I had about a month to go I gave her the booster....

so my question is, now that she IS getting really close, is it ok for me to give another booster shot or should I do the foal?

I am going to ring the vet and ask him, but I thought I would see what you lovely Ladies think?

I dont mind giving injections, Im a vet nurse so I'm used to it...
default_yes.gif

what would you suggest?

ok I just thought I would check, thanks Diane... and if it is over 60 days? just for reference, I have to go home and check my chart to find the date but while I'm on the subject... should I give Suzie another? sorry to be a pain...
default_wacko.png

My mares get their yearly vacc. booster around 30 days before foaling, this way the foal is covered until it is 4 months old.

morning Renee :salutethat was what my aim was when I gave the booster to Suzie, but the vet was a little wrong with his dates and so was I. so I am wondering if its over 60 days whether I should give her another shot...?

how are you this morning Renee??
default_biggrin.png

I am fine thanks Cassie, what are you up to today? I would check with your vet but I wouldn't think you would need to do it again.

thanks
default_smile.png
just at work, I got the last items for my foaling kit today
default_smile.png
things that weren't crucial but good to have
default_smile.png
I'm going to get it all together when I go home.

Renee, and any other breeders, Diane... Anna,

do you wash your mares udder and hoohaa before foaling? I read in my "complete book of foaling"

that it is a good idea to do so, wondering what you lovely mini Breeders do??
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back