Mare ready to foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7.00am and the sun is up. have a good day cassie
saludando.gif

I posted a video of my yearling playing today with his ball, go and have a look when you get time cos it is cute.

Another night has passed! Suzie certainly seemed more rested and calm during the latter part of the night, bless her. She always looks so cute and comfy during her snoozes.
default_wub.png

Glad you had a good evening out with the family Renee - and yes, no washing up is the icing on the cake! Will pop over and look at your video in a mo.

Diane, please be careful with yourself in all that heat. Over here we are hearing unpleasant tales of the problems in the US with the heatwaves, so please take care.
default_yes.gif

Morning Cassie - I think someone is looking for their breakfast! LOL!!

Suzie looks like she cant wait for her breakfast lol.

Had a look at your video Renee - he is so cute and I love to watch them play with their balls. Glad you had a nice evening out with your boys.

I am not the biggest heat fan so cant imagine what its like for you in Florida.

Seamus is complaining of the 47/50 degree heat in Saudi. I would cry if I had to live in that.

LOL I fed Suzie a little while ago
default_smile.png
funy little kid, its sunny today!!! YAY might let them out in the big paddock for a bit this arvo, will try take some pics of her to for you, I'll just see how I go.
default_yes.gif

I'm going to take a look at Renee's video too sounds like lots of fun!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

oh and Karina I am going to print off that lovely list you had of the foaling kit and tick off everything I have
default_smile.png
If that is ok with you?

question... Suzie is due for her worming now... I know that you worm after she has foaled... should I worm now and then after she has the foal too?? I was planning on worming them today so if someone could let me know... it would be great. and do you only use ivermectin after foaling?? cos my wormer is called equets paste and has moxidectin and praziquantal, and my vet said that was the best one to use for the pregnant mare and foal... thanks
default_yes.gif

Hi Cassie-I just tuned in again today after doing all my own horse chores and I can't get the cam. Is there a problem or did I miss Suzie? Hope all is well

Its was down for a while cos the outdoor cam had been turned off LOL maybe me last night woops LOL

she should be up now
default_smile.png
we are going to a friends house for a while for a birthday but I will be back later this afternoon...

Hi diane!!
default_smile.png

did you read my post earlier about the ivermectin? what do you suggest I do?
default_wink.png

Thanks
default_wub.png

Cassie-I hope you get a better asnwer from the others but I would hold off on any wormer with Moxidectrin. We have a wormer called Quest here in the states that has Moixidectrin and I have been told to NEVER give it to my minis. So please wait for an answer from the professionals before giving that to your horses.

Thanks

Oh, I think I have read that the mare should be wormed 30 days prior to foaling and then 10 days after. I am sure the others will send you the correct answers.
default_rolleyes.gif

Morning Cassie, I hope you had a good day. As Diane said I would wait now and worm after foaling. I was told NEVER to give moxidectin to minis and my vet didn't know this either so I made sure I told him. He has never had experience with minis before me and I have to teach him the stuff I learn off here.

Thank goodness you asked before worming Suzie, Cassie! NEVER give Equest/Quest to minis! Zimectin Gold is another to avoid too (according to reports) Like Renee, your vet needs to be told this for the sake of any other mini horses he might treat.

To be correct mares should be wormed a month before foaling (just as Diane has said) then you can give them a dose of an ivermectin based wormer around 12 hours after foaling. This will protect the foal from worms, plus it has been said it will/might also protect it from having the scours when the mare has her foaling heat - no idea why this is, but have to say it worked for us!

Then once the foal is 4 to 5 weeks old you can worm it with a mild wormer with safety.

Suzie will be fine missing her due worming date and waiting until after she foals, so dont worry.

ok, can I ask why you can't give it to them? as they have had one dose before
default_no.gif
is it really bad?! I hope I haven't done anything to hurt them!!

please let me know, as I'm really scared now I have done something!!

I am about to go out and feed them now, I will hold off the worming till I get an ivermectin based wormer and till she foals, thanks for letting me know and not getting cranky at my dumbness, and my MANY questions.
default_no.gif

thanks everyone,

oh and I have to go out and do singing tonight, its only 5 min up the road at church and I will be back around 8pm hopefully just so you know that is where I am.
default_yes.gif

thanks Renee I'm going to type this real quick as I'm late for singing I reallised that I prob gave you poor lovely ladies heart attacks just then, on the equest paste it just said, be careful not to overdose in small breeds so I underdosed my minis thank goodness!! it was nearly 4 months ago, and I have just done some quick reading!! I think they shouldn't have any problems now,

but you have my VOW that NEVER will moxidectin EVER enter my property ever again!!! tomorrow morning first thing they are going back to my feed store where I am going to tell them how bad this is for minis I am going to ring the vets and inform them and I am going to write to Equest to inform them of the issue!!

right I'm glad I got that off my chest,

now what do you girls suggest would be the best wormer for my minis

p.s the girls only got it once, so glad I deided to mention the whole worming thing, thankyou Lord!!
default_yes.gif

talk to you later, sorry to cause any stress, Anna, Renee thanks for being so patient with me I will read the article when I get back.

thanks to all you lovely ladies,

oh before I go I better change the camera!!
default_biggrin.png
:RollEyes bye!

Hope you enjoyed the singing Cassie.
default_yes.gif

Please NEVER feel worried about asking questions, however silly you think they might be! It's how we all learn - after some 50+ years with horses, I still ask questions and am STILL learning from the experience and ideas of others!

So ask away my friend and we will do our best to answer from our experiences.
default_biggrin.png

I had given equest to my minis but never had any problems. This was 11yrs ago and before I knew all that I know now. I had a TB that I wormed with it and also dosed Teddy and Rosie - according to their weights and never had a problem with it but once I heard about the dangers I stopped using it. I think where the danger lies is that its too easy to overdose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou Karina!!
default_biggrin.png
its good to know that someone else has used it before (even the once) and hasn't had problems just makes me feel better LOL

but as I said it will never be used here again.

Thank you Anna your wealth of knowledge is great and I much appreciate all the help you have given me
default_biggrin.png

Suzie seems to be breathing really heavy right now, I might go out and take a look at her I think, she doesn't usually show any heavy breathing while standing up...
default_new_shocked.gif

Ok here are some pics that I took tonight, I am putting them on here lol

just don't be too harsh when you tell me you still think she has a while to go
default_no.gif
I don't think I could take it but tell me your honest opinion, this is the most relaxed I have seen her, the pics aren't great sorry but that swollen bit down the bottom isn't swollen anymore and she seems SO much longer, I have added a pic from March for comparison...
default_wacko.png

suz240711.jpg pic from tonight....

suzie march 11.jpg pic from March,

what do you think?

tummy tonight...

suztummy240711.jpg

pic from above, not very good sorry as I am only a shorty LOL

suztop240711.jpg

ok up for your thoughts on my girl... they really aren't very good but at least you can see,

oh n no udder pics cos there is no change to show
default_sad.png

well I'm off to bed night all thanks for watching for me
default_yes.gif

default_wub.png
hugs and kisses from Suzie and Cassie

She is down sternal n went down flat for maybe a minute... She has been having times of real heavy breathing but I read today in my foaling book hehe that the foal stretches his/ her legs in the last week or two before foaling n this causes heavy breathing the looking at the flanks n such was so interesting!!

I dnt know If anyone is watchIng suzie n if no one can that's ok I'll sleep with one eye open for a while she seems ok I just dnt trust her lol talk later
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back