Mare ready to foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I wasn't around today to watch Suzie through your night Cassie. Had a bit of a health scare myself this morning, so popped down the hospital to get checked out and been resting the rest of the day. Off to see my own Doc on Monday to get my meds re-ajusted so hopefully that will help.

What is that yellow bowl doing in Suzie's stable Cassie??

Hope you have a good Sunday Cassie - how is the packing going? You'll only be needing a few shorts, tops and swim gear or is there 'night life' where you are actually staying?

default_saludando.gif
OMG annac whats wrong hope your ok

It is bucketing down here tonight!!! Can't here myself over the Tim roof !!
default_smile.png
find out how much rain in the morning glad suz isn't mega close yuck lol

default_saludando.gif
good morning cassie

sounds like your getting what we just had rain and rain

weve had a couple of fine days here but back to rain again tomorow

this yucky rain must be putting the girls off........LOL

Hope Suzie follows her timeline for you Cassie. I know you are busy packing and very stressed that your sweet baby still has not arrived! Don't know how she's holding it in there still. Night.

thanks all!

absoloutly miserable day! I can;t finish my fencing!! though I might go out later, n brace the rain I'll just have to see... Suzie is out in the miserable rain silly girl, I am going out tonight for a friends birthday but mum n dad will be home...
default_biggrin.png

don't think she will do anything anyway, she is waiting for me to get home
default_yes.gif
LOL

Anna I hope your ok!!! rest dear friend!! we can't have you not feeling well
default_no.gif

ok I have updated my first post, so that you are all aware of what is happening if you have any questions, if you think I need to add anything please let me know and I would add it to the first page...

I'm going to bring Suzie inside soon as it is absoloutly miserable out there!!

Hope your feelinga it better Anna after a visit to the hospital..plenty of rest.. feet up and pony (Suzie) watching on the laptop with tea and custard creams will help hopefully.

It doesnt look to nice outside today Cassie but the ponies dont look botherd
default_rolleyes.gif
.youd think she would come inside on her own out the weather wouldnt you..I always think that when its poring down here..

ok Suzie is in for the night,

yeah Lindi! we have had 51mm so dar TODAY! thats over 90mm from last night n today which is um,

almost 4 inches in 24horus!!!! huge the paddocks are absoloutly waterlogged n dams are overflowing
default_biggrin.png

I need your advice! you will See poor Suzie has a towel over her back...

I towel dried her as obviosuly she was saturated, but she is also shiveing!!! POOR BABY GIRL!!
default_no.gif
default_wub.png

I want to just put a fleece rung on her... just until she warms up a bit... please tell me if you think this is ok to do or not...

it wouldn't be long... just the poor thing is SO cold n even after drying her with two big towels!! I don't want her getting sick!!

Get the hair dryer on her quick and then you can put a fleece on her until she relaxes. Cassie why did you leave her out in such awful weather
no.gif
it really isn't good for her at this stage.
no.gif

everyone is always telling me to put her out whatever weather!!!! I am only trying to do what is best for her!

I never meant to hurt her or the baby!!!

of course you didn't sweety and I am sorry if I sounded harsh. I worry too much that is all.

ok well I prob took it the wrong way, but I love my ponies SO MUCH!!! I am still so new at it all...

I try to do what is right but I'm far from perfect, n I just hope Suzie won't suffer from my STUPID actions!!!!

She is the most beautiful girl and I am so blessed to have her! I would hate it SO MUCH if anything happened to her or the baby!!! I am only tring do what is right. I am sorry Suzie baby girl!!!!

I have put some nice fresh straw down, she is dry but still cold, I have put TWO fleece rugs on her! n I can put another rain type rug on too I f I have to...

she hadnles everything SO well!! I gave her lots of hugs n kisses she is the most BEAUTIFUL horse I have ever know n I wouldn't be able to handle it if I caused anything to happen to her.

I am going out to a friends birthday now... prob be good for me to get out for a few hours.

I know I should be home. but she is turning 18!

my MUM n Dad will be home if you need anything at all, or if she is acting strange.

I hope I have done everything right and I haven't hurt her or the baby believe me when I say I would NEVER intentionally hurt her!

I'm so sorry my beautiful baby girl!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!
default_wub.png

Calm down, we all know how much you love and care for you horses. We all do things different and in time you will find what works for you but remember even the most experienced horse people make mistakes.

You also know your weather better than me, when it rains here in Italy unless it is July or August it turns really cold fast bc we live right under mountains that when it rains here it usually snows up there which makes the air really cold. This is why I worry so much about serious down pours. Anna and Lindi live with rain on a daily basis so I am sure they are way more relaxed about it.

I am sorry if I upset you
cheekkiss.gif

default_saludando.gif
we have just had the same weather here that you just got and i never rugged sweety

but she used to it and so would suzie

dont stress you are the best horse owner and you care so much

and if you ever wont to get one off my horses i would be privliage for you to own one off

mine ..as you are a lovely person so never forget that
default_wub.png

First, thanks for the concern everyone, I'm fine, just taking it carefully this morning - family all running around like headless chickens trying to do the work here JUST LIKE ANNA WANT'S IT DONE OR THERE WILL BE TROUBLE! LOL!!

Cassie, do calm down, Suzie will be fine. Of course she had a shiver after all that rain, but that is just the natural way for her to control/regulate her body temperature. Did you know that eating hay is the quickest way to warm a horse up - eating and digesting actual hard feed will reduce the body's ability to keep warm because it takes energy to digest it. So loads of hay, like you usually do, is the best thing for Suz right now.

Drying her gently with towels was fine, but I would hesitate to use a hairdryer - I'm a funny one about drying horses (well I'm a funny one any time!) but I think about how I would feel myself, and I would hate to feel all warm from a hairdryer and then cold again as the hairdryer was stopped. Same with rugs - if you put a rug on a horse to warm it, then you cant take it off again until you do something else with the horse (ok, I'm cold so someone gives me their coat. I warm up so they take the coat away, I now feel cold at the removal of the coat!) I wouldn't put a rug on a horse with even a small amount of winter coat left on them. I MIGHT lay an anti-sweat rug over them (one of those ones that look like a string vest), but I wouldn't do it up and would let it slowly slide off as the horse moved about - lots of air able to circulate through the rug and around the horse to dry it off. Always leave rugs undone so the drying air can get to the horse as it moves around, make sure there is no cold wind getting in to the stable. As Suzie's coat dries she will be making those rugs she is wearing, damp. You need to get them off her and just lay another lightweight one over her from her withers and across her back, dont do it up and as she slowly dries properly from her front end first, the rug will slowly slip backwards, allowing more of her to dry out etc etc. If this rug feels damp after an hour of so you will have to replace it with another dry one (in exactly the same position as the one you are removing) and carry on doing this until Suzie is completely dry and the final rug has naturally slipped finally off her back end. THEN you should be ok to leave her without rugs, but never remove the rugs she is wearing just because she FEELS dry, she will immediately miss their warmth, just leave them undone for the air to circulate and let them slip slowly backwards (be prepared to watch that they are only allowed to slip back slowly, and keep replacing a damp feeling rug with a dry one until the whole process is over)

I'm sure this all sounds frightfully confusing, but hopefully you can understand some of it. If you have to go out this evening, then get down to the stable, get those rugs off Suzie, replace them with one dry one left draped over her and hope for the best. She will be feeling pretty hot very soon under what she is wearing now, even starting to sweat instead of drying off.

And dont worry - SHE WILL BE FINE!!

Its my fault, i always panic as it gets so darn cold here when it rains. Sorry

AWW what Im reading here are people that genuinely care
default_wub.png
and its fab..there are no rights and wrongs everyone has their own way of dealing with things
default_yes.gif
..whichever suits you best is the right way see..its nice to have peoples oppinions and experiances to use if you want to but there is no rule book and your her mummy now you have to make the decisions lol..yes Anna and I deal with the rain everyday at least 10 times a day lol in the last few weeks..poor ponies just get dry and grrr down comes the rain and soaked again..I put mine away every night and dont like them to go to bed wet either so I dry them off with towels and as Anna said give them lotsa hay to munch for an hour or so until they have theyr dinner
default_smile.png
..most of the time they shivver when theyr very wet Im sure its nothing serious just a way of keeping warm they love to have a roll in the nice deep straw after being towel dried off which im sure helps..or does it I dont know
default_rolleyes.gif
..she will be fine..Oh you wait til your poor baby gets her first soaking
default_no.gif
thats not funny..its the same sorta feeling as when the wind blows on your new born baby for the first time and you watch them trying to catch their breath..ARGGHHH you reach for the first thing you can find to shelter them..its called motherly instincts
default_wub.png
Oh joy the grey hairs will be appearing very soon Cassie ..

I'm another hay chucker here. My guys live out day in, day out regardless of weather. Only the clipped show horses come up to the stalls. I also never rug.

We get a bit of time in winter where it is disgustingly wet and cold, I do a hay feed out in the morning and in the evening to make sure they have some munchies to keep them going.

I also turf my showies outside nekkid most of the time and on occasion the weather catches me and I end up with drenched clipped horses on my hands
default_no.gif
They get a pile of hay, they get towled off and a woolen on. Once dry/warm they get rugged up properly.

o.k o.k everyone so I am a wimp
yes.gif
It hardly ever rains here but when it does it pours down. The ones that are out all the time don't seem to bother but the preggo mares that get stabled at night in the winter do tend to get the squits if they get cold and wet. Suzie is in winter right now and she is stabled at night so I was worried she would be cold and then with Cassie going out and her being alone for a few hours I wanted her to do something before leaving.

I agree with Anna about putting on a rug that tight and then not being able to remove it without her getting cold. What I suggested was that Cassie threw the fleece over her and put some straw under it. Never mind I know you will all forgive me
biggrin.gif

lots of snuggles going on there
default_wub.png
see she loves you whatever
default_yes.gif
doing a great job

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back