Mane--Left or Right

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniJoys

Reaction score

Does it matter with the minis--as far as showing them--which side the mane falls? Any thoughts or opinions about this subject are appreciated!

I think it is a matter of opinion.

Some will leave it on the left so the right is open to the judge, others will place it on the right as a cover or beauty thing. I believe it is up to you and mostly will depend on what way it naturally tries to go.

I think it is a matter of opinion.

Some will leave it on the left so the right is open to the judge, others will place it on the right as a cover or beauty thing. I believe it is up to you and mostly will depend on what way it naturally tries to go.
Thanks for your response. So, if my stallion's mane naturally grows to the right side, should I keep it that way or try to "train" it to fall to the left side?

Thanks for your response. So, if my stallion's mane naturally grows to the right side, should I keep it that way or try to "train" it to fall to the left side?
It doesn't really matter which side it is on. But, having said that, I prefer to have the mane on the right so when you enter the ring and trot around the ring the mane is away from the judges so the judges can see the full neck.

I Haven't shown Mini's but I can't imagine trying to train the mane to lay on the opposite side than it naturally falls on. Our Shetlands mane wanted to lay on both sides but I think we've finally got it trained to lay on the natural side. He has a nice full mane and some of it would fall to the other side but by braiding it on the natural side it now all lays togethere on his right side.

The right side is the traditional "right" side but we have horses with mane that lays on the left side, and we don't bother trying to change it. It's been my experience that in the show ring it doesn't matter; a good horse will win regardless of which side the mane is on.

We were told the mane should be on the right side for showing, but quickly realized our filly (in avatar) looked better with hers on the left. It was easy to switch it over. The mane on the left shows more of her pinto pattern on both sides and just makes her look better. The judges seem to agree. I would go with what looks best for that particular horse.

I agree with targetsmom. If you are able to train the mane on a pinto, to fall on the most visually pleasing side, then that is what I would do.

THat being said, I have had some horses whose mane WOULD NOT retrain no matter how I tried.

As far as which side is "correct", there is not much preference as to which side the mane falls on a miniature horse....most judges do not care one way or another.

I prefer to see a mane on the right side, but as others said there isn't a "correct" side and it does usually go with whatever is natural. Ones I find on the left I try to train to be on the right but as Lauralee said, there are some that just will not retrain!

Latest posts

Back