Man oh man! PIX ADDED! pg3

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REO

Reaction score
Last night started with tons of rain and wind. Then the snow started. Not fluffy, icy type. Karrel left for work at 4:30. By 8 AM the blizzard started. Wind is 45 mph and it's pretty much white out conditions. Karrel was out in his Coke truck, but it got so bad that he turned around back to Lawton.

It took him over an hour to drive our car home. Some times he was stopped in the road. People were stopped all around him. There were wrecks everywhere and one car was up-side down! But he finally made it home!

Our power was out for 6 hours but it's back on for now. Or else we wouldn't have any water or heat.

He was back home when I got up. I knew the power was out so I was staying in bed as long as I could, rather than facing a dark cold house.

The wind was coming straight from the North and driving the snow through our windows! It's hard to see or walk outside right now and the drifts are high!

We live on a small, paved country road. It is a snow mess out there. A pick up truck hauling a long round bale trailer hit a drift in front of our house and jack-knifed. A friend following in another pick up with a child and another man ran into the back of that wreck and the trailer rammed through the cab of the pick up and crushed the driver's chest and legs. The child and other man are ok. Then the rescue started coming and another car hit the back of a fire truck and is all smashed and sitting in front of our house, along with a pick up. There was a wrecker, an ambulace, a rescue unit, and two fire trucks and a back hoe plus all the wrecked trucks and cars in front of our house. They were using 3 jaws of lifes trying to cut that guy out of the truck. Karrel was out there the whole time trying to help and saw the guy. Karrel says he hopes the man doesn't die. He was really messed up from the crash.

So the blizzard keeps on and all that's out there now are all the crashed vehicles. I pray the man makes it. The ambulance can't go very fast.

I'm glad Karrel is home because I'd been worried sick knowing that storm was coming and that he was driving up North for a driver that couldn't handle the snow driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MAN IS RIGHT! I am so sorry you are having such horrible weather! But I am sure glad Karrel made it home safely! Thank GOD for that.

I really feel for this poor man that needs medical help. What a mess! People need to just stay indoors unless they absolutely have to go out.

Praying for this man! Let us know what happens.

People need to be careful standing around accidents like that. Next thing you know someone plows into the people instead of the vehicles. Dangerous!

Carol

Oh my gosh what a terrible situation. I'm so glad that your family is all safe. I feel so bad for that man and his family...imagine just feeling the joy of Christmas and then having a family member get into a wreck like that
default_no.gif
default_sad.png

OMG Robin! we are the same here 6 miles north of you..It is absolutely terrible outside! We have trees down and the wind is sooooo bad we can't even open the doors to go outside. We have snow in the house from where it is blowing thru the door frames. We put towels and blankets down to try to keep it out! It is really bad
default_no.gif
ALL the horses are locked up in their stalls with the barn doors closed tight. Please, everyone who is in the path of this blizzard, DON'T DRIVE IN IT!!! Cars are stranded on the Interstate and the Highway Patrol said they will be there till tomorrow afternoon, because no one can get to them...We have not lost power, thank you God, but we did have a fire in the fuse breaker box! Thank God we were home. The fire was put out quick, but some wires melted so we have to have an electrician come out Monday...Merry Christmas to Everyone...Art, Theresa and Family

A man just pounded on our door. He's now stuck in the drifts in front of our place. Karrel is out there trying to shovel him out!
default_unsure.png

How many more? This isn't good!

OMG Theresa! I'm glad you and Art are home!

We locked the babies in their shed. They wouldn't go in and were shivering! I was out there for an hour with my babies!

Karrel just came in and called the police to come help. There are now two more cars stuck in front of our place. He's gone back out to try and dig them out. But they'll need a wrecker to pull them out.

I hope they don't have to come inside and spend Christmas. But if so, I have enough to feed them I think.

One thing we have for when the power goes out is a kerosene heater. Man it can be a life saver. Don't laugh, but I bought it for y2k. OK, we didn't need it then. But, it has paid for it's self many times over. Like when our furnace broke and it took us 2 years to get a new one. I keep 5 gallons of fuel and a hand pump. We also have oil lamps for light. I hope everyone gets dug out and home for Christmas. We had a storm a few years ago where we got 3 1/2 feet one night and 3 1/2 feet the next night (they said they didn't think we were going to get anything out of that system). Anyway, most stores were closed and where my mom worked one guy had to stay there for 4 days. No one could get in or out. Well, this is Nevada. It's a desert. They just can't handle the freak snow storms. I hope you are all warm and together. Merry Christmas.

Wow, I'm so glad Karrel made it home OK. I'll keep the driver in my prayers
default_no.gif
The temps started to drop here late this afternoon. The wind has picked up and it's just bitter cold out there. Your storm is headed this way. My poor chicks out in the barn are NOT amused, but they have heat lamps and the ones on the ground (shavings) have a big Kalglo heater. If it starts blowing in, I'll move a sheet of OSB in front of their door. Steve's on his way home. I don't think we'll make it to Huntsville to see Mia for Christmas Day tomorrow. She'll be home on Sunday, but I know she'll be upset if we can't make it...

Everybody hunker down and stay warm...it's nasty out there!!!

Very glad Karrel arrived home safe and sound.

Is a good time to stay home when weather gets like that.

We only had 4' of snow up here last year, nothing like you are getting...but you would not believe the sheer number of 4x trucks littering the road side. Then the power out for 6 days straight, then a couple days later the power was out again.
default_rolleyes.gif

Hoping everyone out that way keeps their power and is able to stay warm! Will be an impressive white Xmas for you all this year.

The fire dept came to the two cars that were stuck out there, but they were in the deep drift and there was nothing they could do. So they left. Some tractors came and dug them out.

There are lights and more cars out there right now!

We don't know how many more cars have gotten stuck, but a total of 7 cars crashed/got stuck in front of our house. There are 3-4 cars stuck there for the night.

We are the only house so people keep knocking on our door.

WHY do they keep driving???
default_wacko.png

My brother just flew in from Sunny Southern California to Oklahoma City ... he's stuck. He needed to drive to Thomas, but that's not going to happen obviously... Looks like a real mess - glad you are okay!

Liz R.

Thank God you all are safe. It must have been so freightening watching all those accidents happen right in front of your house. Sending Blessings and prayers the bad weather stops soon.

All of you who are in the midst of this terrible storm or who are in the path of it please stay safe. Glad to hear that you guys are home safe and sound and I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas despite this weather.

Hope today is a better day for you, Robin and Karrel too.

I can't believe this snowstorm! Oklahoma City has a new record snowfall amount. 14.1"! The most snow ever!!!! I've never seen anything like it. Trying to get to and into my barns is a chore. Snowdrifts thigh deep. I'm going to spend today shoveling snow.

That is one big nasty storm. We're getting the edge of it way up here. At least up until last evening we had no wind so the snow was just staying where it fell. We had about 7 inches out of it up until last evening when we finished chores--it had started Wednesday evening so that was 24 hours worth of snow--not sure if it's snowing just now but we're supposed to get a few more inches out of this storm between now and tomorrow noon. Roads are pretty bad here, and worse further west--there will be lots of people who don't get to go to Christmas dinner today.

We weren't planning to travel today, but even in the years when we did have plans to go somewhere to dinner we always made sure we had a turkey and all the fixins on hand, just in case we did get a storm & couldn't go as planned. It's just not worth it to try and drive anywhere in the middle of a storm.

Glad you're safe at home Robin, and hopefully you won't have too many unexpected guests for dinner today!!
default_laugh.png

That sounds like a true mess. I sure hope the driver arrived at the hospital safe where he could be treated. I am with you Robin, WHY do people go out in weather like that? I hope you all have a Merry Christmas despite the twist from Mother Nature..............
default_smile.png

What a mess! You all stay safe, hope things settle down today and the weather cooperates a little better. We got the very southern end of the storm - a few snow flurries yesterday and bitterly cold wind, but nothing more thank goodness.

Hope it's a Merry Christmas despite the weather!

Jan

We are expecting perhaps a couple of days of freezing rain and I am not looking forward to it. It's the storm that originated in Texas that is going to give us this weather. Last time a storm like that came up here was in 1998 in January when we had no power for a week and a half and some places in Canada went a month without power, no heat, no lights, NO FUN.

I am however counting my blessings this year because a week and a half ago my husband and i were in that 72 car crash on the 416 between Kemptville and Ottawa. Those of you in Canada may have seen that in your news. Talk about scary. I have never been in anything like that and I hope to never be again. We managed to stop our vehicle before hitting the wall of cars that had crashed infront of us and I thought for sure we were going to get hit from behind but we were lucky that people who knew or realized they couldn't stop decided to take to the ditches on the highway. I rolled down my window to speak to the woman in the car next to us when we managd to stop and I could hear the cars crashing into each other behind us
default_no.gif
I think guardian angels were out that day in full force because there were no fatalities that day, only 4 people were taken to hospital with minor injuries. There was one fatality unfortunately of a canine who's owner had gone into the ditch and rolled onto it's roof. When they went to rescue the gentleman his dog who was terrified ran out of the car and started to run down the opposite side of the divided highway and he was hit and killed
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

72 car pile-up

Anyway, stay safe everyone and Merry Christmas to all!

OMG!! Glad you guys are all safe at home... I dont know why anyone would drive in that!! Cuz they think they will make it? I heard the midwest was going to get really dumped on by that storm- sounds awful!!

Well, if anyone is stuck, it's better they come in rather than freeze to death or get injured- hope that guy will be ok. It's also better they crash by your place so at least someone can call for help, rather then where no one would find them!! That could be really bad.

Be safe everyone!! Yep, you all need kerosene heaters or propane or a big fireplace!!!

HAVE A SAFE HOLIDAY please!!!!

Latest posts

Back