Man oh man! PIX ADDED! pg3

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG Danielle! How horrible! Thank God you're ok!

These should be pics of the road in front of our house. It's just a little road. The plow was there. The yellow car hit a fire truck and is crashed there. They hauled off another crashed car last night and the truck, I was horrified to see, is one of a local guy that I see everyday driving. The round bale trailer is what he hit. They had a time getting him out of the truck as you can see.

My site scrambles pics so I hope these are the right ones! Let me know what you see!

You can see how deep the snow on our road is.

website1014006.jpg

website1014002.jpg

website1014003.jpg

My 6' hubby standing by the yellow car.

These pics are the road, not country side. The truck is in the road. The plowman said we got 15" here and he said there's messes everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pictures all came out okay--one of the yellow car with the plow going through, then two of the smashed truck. That's one big drift--in the pictures of the truck I'd have guessed it was off in the ditch, not on the road--no wonder people were getting stuck. It might be just a little road but it must be a very busy one? I was thinking you must be right on the main highway to have so much traffic coming past on Christmas Eve. Someone needs to put a "road closed" sign down the road so people are warned before they hit the drift!!

I can see why they had so much trouble getting the driver out of that truck--he did a real number on it when he hit the trailer. I wonder how he's doing today? I pray he will be okay

I can see why they had so much trouble getting the driver out of that truck--he did a real number on it when he hit the trailer. I wonder how he's doing today? I pray he will be okay
I was thinking the same thing. I pray he is OK too. Any info Robin? Hope you are enjoying your day!
default_smile.png

Nope, we're not on a hwy. Just a small paved road off shooting from a tiny town. Lots of Farmers and such. I'd see that truck going up and down the road many times a day. If you look close you can see the steering wheel almost touching the seat where he was sitting. Very serious.

I was wrong, there's 3 cars still stuck out there.

The owners of the yellow car are out there trying to dig it out right now.

During the time there were all those trucks, cars & flashing lights, back hoes, ambulances etc, STILL there were dumb&$#% trying to drive through! But there was no room and the snow too high. The blizzard was still going on then too.

It is sunny today. But we can't get out of our drive. Our mailbox was totally covered.

The man that was hurt was being followed by his brother (the men with a child) that got stuck behind the worst accident. Maybe we'll find out some day. I pray he's ok.

default_no.gif
Wow u guys really got hammered. We too got the high winds up here in SE Kansas and ended up with drifts across the drive and gate so it took two hours with our old MF tractor to get that opened. Then the BIG snowplow came down the road and plowed our driveway back over
default_no.gif
Needless to say we stayed home today and last night. I sure hope that man is o.k. and u guys have a better weekend
default_unsure.png

Yes Reo, it truly was a miracle that none of us were killed in that 72 car pile-up.

We just got home from my son's place for Christmas dinner and the weather is turning nasty, i can tell something coming as the arthritis in my left knee is really bad tonight and the winds are gusting but it's quite mild for us for this time of year. I just checked and there is a warning out for our area and all of Ontario (province wide). Mona and mary Lou are more than likely in the thick of it as well. It's the storm that originated in Texas and came up through Oklahoma and kansas. All the horses are in as well as all the barn cats. Nobody is staying out tonight in this crap! We have the generator ready should we need it. The icestorm of 1998 which which wreaked havoc up here was freezing rain basically for 36 hours or more. At least the max we will get this time is 6 hours of it. I guess I will be sliding or skating to get to the barn tomorrow to feed, sigh.

Merrickville-Wolford - Kemptville6:40 PM EST Friday 25 December 2009

Freezing rain warning for

Merrickville-Wolford - Kemptville continued

..An extended period of freezing rain spreading into Eastern Ontario this evening and overnight..

This is a warning that an extended period of freezing rain is imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

The combined effects of a deep storm over Iowa and a large Arctic high pressure system over Northern Québec will produce all the necessary ingredients for an extended period of freezing for many localities from north of Lake Ontario to Algonquin Park and eastward to the Ottawa Valley. The freezing rain will develop this evening for regions north of Lake Ontario and then spread slowly northeastward reaching the Ottawa Valley by boxing day morning. While most localities will receive anywhere from 2 to 4 hours of freezing rain, areas such as the Ottawa Valley could see up to 6 hours or more of freezing rain before a changeover to rain or wet snow near midday Saturday.

Given the duration of the freezing rain, general freezing rain amounts should range from 2 to 5 millimetres and the exact location of these amounts will very dramatically with local topography. Lesser amounts are likely for areas adjacent to Lake Ontario including Belleville and Trenton while locally higher amounts, conceivably into the 5 to 10 millimetre range, are possible in portions of the Ottawa Valley.

Freezing rain will make untreated road surfaces and sidewalks potentially hazardous. Travellers and pedestrians alike are advised to take extreme caution and allow for extra time to reach their destinations.
I find the last sentence of this warning to be rather stupid. Heck, anybody in their right mind would STAY HOME and OFF THE ROADS!

WOW Robin, that is amazing, and what a wreck that truck was!
default_new_shocked.gif
We have been getting snow yesterday and today, and freezing rain today as well. I don't think we will end up with as much as they were originally calling fopr here...but all in all, will likely be 6" or so.

And Danielle...so glad you were not injured in that pile-up! How scarey that must have been, just the same!

Sometimes in storms like this being under shelter is not safe, I had a roof collaspe on a mare. By the grace of God she is going to be ok...but I cannot tell you what a nightmare it was.

I hope the guy is going to be ok, so awful to think of a family going through something so terrible at Christmas time.

Latest posts

Back