Making the right decision

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
So I had my riding horse put down 2.5 years ago. I was looking at pics of him today, and I still today wonder if I make the right decision....what I wouldn't give to have him back for just a day

I am sorry for your loss.I am sure it is very painful even though it was a while ago.Reflect back on the wonderful times you had together and the great memories you have of him.I am sure that when you made the decision to let him go it was right for him and you at the time.I am certain that many of us would love to have someone or an animal back for even 1 hour.Enjoy the memories of the past, but live in the now.The past is what shapes and makes us who we are today.

You are lucky to have photos to remember him by. I never took photos of my girl thinking she would be with me for quite a long time, didn't work out that way but I do have my memories of her. Her name was Daisy and when the wild daisy's come up, I smile and think they are her back to visit. What I would give to be able to go back in time to change the mistakes that were made, then maybe she would still be with me today.

Far, FAR better to have euthed too early than too late. Sometimes I think I waited too long to let Forrest go. When I look at the last pic I took of him, he looks awful.
I feel much the same way about my mare I had euthanized a couple weeks ago; I wonder if I waited too long. I know I released her from much discomfort and I'm glad for that. I miss her, but I know she's no longer in pain, and that's what matters.

Those of us that are older can relate even more with the guilt and pain you feel, but you shouldn't feel the guilt, this was out of your hands, the pain you must feel, it will lesson with time but will always remain, I know, I have out lived several of my beloved heart horses. The first one was my first, she had epm and couldn't stand even with a sling, back in the day before there was any treatment available, broke my heart when the vet put the first needle in her neck. She looked at me with those liquid dark eyes, filled with so much love in them. My second was her son, my show and trail buddy, woke up one morning he was in shock, twisted gut, too late to save him at least I hhad him for 30 years. Makes me cry just typing this. My youngest daughter had to decide to put down her beloved show/trail mare at age 30, she had cushings and bad/severe founder. The one thing I do know is we are all blessed to have them for just a little while, and we are their angels, as we love them so much we don't allow them to suffer, not for a minute, we are there to protect them from suffering. So Ashley stop second quessing yourself, you did the right thing.

I only had him 4 years. He was predicted between 29-35 years of age. He had absolutly no mannors and was horribly barn sour but I loved him to death. I have never had a bond with a horse like I did him, not even my minis that I had since a foal. I put him down in Dec. just a week or two before Christmas, and luckly was still able to bury him. Part of me questions I think because it was around the time I had my daughter and when I left the relationship I was in. I had hoped to give my daughter the chance to grow with him a bit, but no such luck. I do regret not saving some of his hair.

I made the decision to put him down as I feared if I didnt he would starve through winter. He, from the day I owned him, could never eat hay. His teeth were so badly cared for they didnt meet well enough to grin it. Right aroudn the time I put him down I had noticed he wasnt holding weight nor did he have much for spare weight compared to normal to take him through winter. I could already see/count his ribs and his thighs no longer touched. He was still a active young boy at heart, but i didnt want to see him suffer.

I havent seen a horse since him.

This is one of last pics I have of him. Excuss his eatting face. This was about 7 months before I put him down

231075_10150267041091153_3502348_n.jpg

For his age and the condition of his teeth, he looks awesome.

Keep him in your heart and understand that you saved him from a painful death. Celebrate his life and his sharing with yours instead!

I DID wait too long for our old Arab mare, because after having two of our Shetlands euthanized by our vet, I kept putting it off. I just kept thinking, "she's ok... She'll make it thru the winter..." ... She died on her own and it wasn't the easiest death from the look of the area around her body. She did greet me the evening before she passed. And she passed with her pasture mates. She was a great mare for our family! I dont' have a lot of pictures of her, but the ones we do have show lots of good times and periods of her time with us. I treasure that.

AND understand, we all grieve in our own ways. It's been almost two years since we euthanized our fist shetland. He was a companion, he was a sire, he was my driving pony, all 3 of our daughters' learned different lessons from him, he did pony rides at Bday parties & bar-b-ques and he was also a lesson pony for many beginning students. I still miss him - and it catches me off and on at some very odd times. I just go with it and then bring up some good memories!

and know something else.

I have found that a "new" horse will never "take away" the spot that he held. Other horses may/will come into your life and may even become a "new" heart horse, but they will never replace your other "heart horse". You will always have that special spot - just for your boy! Never fear.

And I did keep part of my boys' tail. And I haven't been able to "do" anything with it yet... Not because of time or money, but simply because I "can't" yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
No no no Ashley no second guessing. You did what you felt was best at the time and do not beat yourself up over this now. I think the same thing myself as I have a very old horse in my barn too. If your horse fell apart in the middle of winter you would have had a very bad problem so the way I see it, you protected him in the best way.Winter was brutal. .

Latest posts

Back