Maidens Sometimes Are the Best Entertainment

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hill Haven Farms

Reaction score
I haven't been using the foaling alert/pager on her because she seriously is either standing or laying flat out. (she has always laid like this) So when she went under camera, I put the transmitter on her halter and she would set it off just about every 15 min. If she wasn't laying flat out, then she holds her head up and sideways so the transmitter thinks she is flat out...

It is now off of her...but she seemed rather uncomfy last evening so keeping a close eye on her. I don't have an internet cam this year, so taking shifts watching between hubby and I. He wakes me up at 3:45 this am, saying... I am not sure what she is doing....but she has been walking backwards around the stall for the last 2-3 minutes. As I open my eyes and take a moment to get clairity, golly, he's right. She is rubbing her backside on the stall wall, but more in a continuous motion...around and around she goes. Went out to check..being that I am on all alert for any strange or unusual behaviors.... She is all is good.

This foaling season has been the worst ever! 3 lost foals, 1 lost mare, 2 mares to go...I am hoping the events this year NEVER repeat themselves. I had a mare abort at 9 mos (necropsy was inconclusive), experienced the WORST dystocia ever possibly imaginable which resulted in a lost foal and 36 hours later, my sweet mare, then last Saturday an experienced/seasoned mare foaled at 745 am (just like clockwork... last year, Saturday morning 745, year before in the morning 745...), she had NO milk. Just the day before she had a bag and was able to express and test what appeared as colostrom, straw colored and sticky. She always has gotten a bag, but doesn't get fully engorged until right as she foals. Needless to say, vet was out, did seramune via NG, attempted to bottle feed, ran blood work, IV catheter, CRI dextrose 2.5%, ampicillin. He wasn't regulating his temp nor his blood sugar levels. He spent about 30 min with mom initially while the vet checked her over then he came inside with us. We created a "stall" for him in a childs playpen with shavings and straw.That way I could wheel it around the house to where ever I was going to be to keep an eye on him. I will post details about him in a different thread...Im interested to see if anyone has experienced something similiar... At least Dez is keeping me laughing with her reverse circling.

I am so sorry that you have had this kind of year. It can be so heartbreaking not to mention financially devastating.

I would really encourage you to get another cam. I dont use breeder alerts either as mine always lay flat out but those cams are invaluable.

Be sure you arent feeding fescue etc.

Sending prayers that the rest of your mares foal with no issues

Latest posts

Back