Madder than a wet hen

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
OK, I am reading responces to a HT topic. Someone said it was ok to ride minis.

I said it was not and explained why.

And then some person thinks it is OK to ride a 33" tall mini and the rider is 120lbs!!! That it's old owner used to ride him so can she!

What is bloomin wrong with people these days?? Am mad enough to spit nails!
frusty.gif
new_argue.gif

Maggie is 33 1/4" tall and stout, but I would never, ever let someone ride her, she is just too small.

What do you all think, am I getting mad over nothing or?

Whats wrong with people these days you ask? Ok, flame away here LOL People are getting more and more ignorant. Plain and simple. Seems that with all the 'greater' education, the 'lesser' common sense is being knocked out of people.

Dont know what to tell you about them riding the mini. Its just like people that buy a first time horse that isnt trained, so they can 'learn together'. Sheeeeesh

Pepipony said:
Whats wrong with people these days you ask?  Ok, flame away here LOL  People are getting more and more ignorant.  Plain and simple.  Seems that with all the 'greater' education, the 'lesser' common sense is being knocked out of people.
  Dont know what to tell you about them riding the mini. Its just like people that buy a first time horse that isnt trained, so they can 'learn together'.  Sheeeeesh

485574[/snapback]

worshippy.gif
worshippy.gif

Common sense 101 should be a required course in every school, but even then there'd be plenty who would never 'get it'.

I sure hope this person is only planning to ride the little horse once in awhile, a short way, like from corral to barn--that wouldn't be SO bad, but if she's planning to take it on a trail ride
new_shocked.gif

Sure wish the little guys would just LET R BUCK those foolish people OFF.....

(and give them a little BITE for good measure!)
biggrin.gif

MA

Sometimes you just have to feel sorry for animals with nincompoops for owners.

I own a horse who is now 6 years old, and when she was a yearling some kids 7-8years old got into the pasture and 'rode' her. We have spent quite a bit of money to vets for xrays and physical therapy to no avail. So our perfect foal when she was born and had gone to shows with great results is now a pet who at times has to have pain meds for the damage that was done 5 years ago. Vets who have been consulted have told me noone over 30 lbs should ever get on the back of a horse under 34inches. But today some people just don't care what they do to horses or people as long as they enjoy it.

One of the worst examples of this ignorance was an article in the magazine, 'Country Living' last month...with graphic pictures!!! Made me furious, sick and soooo sorry for the little horse!
no.gif

Maybe *I* should go sit on that 120 lb person and ride them, see how they like it.

Minis are docile and the people are so heavy, what can they do but comply? And then those jerks say "look, he likes being ridden"!

Sorry, this really ANGERS me no end!

Sandy, they were riding minis in Country Living???? I haven't seen the article, but I sure hope they get some 'letters to the editors'!

Country has a large circulation and if it's showing people thats ok, the riding thing is going to get worse.

Maybe *I* should go sit on that 120 lb person and ride them, see how they like it.
REO, Go Gor It!
aktion033.gif

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
Am glad I am not the only one that thinks riding a mini is not a good thing!

Your right, seems every year people get more and more clueless. I guess it stems from not being around animals their whole lives, or that they don't care. Which I find very sad.

OK, I am putting on my fire suit here. We do pony rides with our minis on a regular basis. We very closly limit the weight of the children riding on them and only allow cart rides to the heavier ones. We do not use a mini for rides until it is at least 5 years old. We want to make sure it is fully developed before it gets that sort of strain. Sometimes, even a lighter child will be hard for a mini to carry because the child is totally incapable of any sort of ballance. At those times we will either hold the child during the ride or offer the cart as a better option. We use our 33 1/2" mini and taller ones. Smaller ones do the cart rides or just get petted while the larger ones are working. My geldings are my babies and I watch and work with them very closly. I do not and will not do rides with my mares as I feel they need their strength and stamina for carrying their foal or prepareing to do so--if they are not in foal. I also do not use stallions as they are not predictable enough for me. We take many minis to jobs and switch them out often so as not to tire or bore them and it is really interesting to watch as we get them ready to go. They appear excited to be going somewhere and the ones that get left at home actually complain, so we make them take turns. Sort of like my two dogs that I take to nursing homes. They are ok with taking turns, but heaven forbid I should take the same one twice in a row.
laugh.gif

I have had many people ask me about riding the minis and I tell them NO. They are not made for that- they were bred to pull a lot of weight, but cannot carry a lot.

As far as Common Sense 101- that class has the highest failure rate in history! It has now been cancelled due to lack of interest I hear.

Makes me just want to
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
some folks

I also saw the Country Living article and did NOT find anything amusing about it...

Small children can be led about on a mini as long as the mini is mature. I tell people that they are not made for riding because of the small size but also because it would take a small child to train a mini and a small child wouldn't have the knowledge to properly saddle train a mini it wouldn't work well. My daughter was allowed to sit on our minis up until last year when she was 6 and was 48 lbs. I'd only let her sit on the two mature minis that were 34ish. The minis had no problems whatsoever.

I cringe when I see pictures of minis with people on them with legs hanging down around the mins knees. Just as sad is the very small mini or pony hooked to a ramshakle cart with a wagonload of children and dogs piled in.
sad.gif

Tammie

a friend brought the country living article to me and i wasnt happy either. but i will say you can see that the womans weight is not on the mini as her feet are on the ground holding her weight. But i hate these pictures as people that dont know minis get the wrong idea.

Pictures like that are just set up for the cuteness doesn't hurt the horse, Just is the cuteness factor and sell mags. and shows people just how small minis really are by standing over them and having the mini between your legs in a picture like that nothing to it just shows how small and nice temperament minis have that you can stand over them like that. No big deal.

Latest posts

Back