Got a harness!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hi!

I found a harness for sale online yesterday. I showed my mum and she liked it, so we put a deposit on it this morning and we will be picking it up within the next 2 weeks!

Its a second hand leather harness, it also comes with some extra pieces that will be used as replacement pieces if needed. It also comes with a brand new bridle, reins and bit (not used with harness). It comes in a suit case.

The lady says it is too big for her 32 inch mini, but Willow is 34, Toby is 34, Snickas is 35 and Kevin is 40 inches. I think it will fit Kevin or Snickas, Kevin is tall but he is still pretty young and is filling out, where as Snickas is shorter but she is very bulky. It could possibly fit Willow, Toby has no hope fitting it though he is the smallest of them all
default_smile.png

In the photo its all laid out on a sheet so I can't pick out what pieces are what. This will be my first harness ever, and the first time harness training so tips would be so much appreciated.

Heres the images of it, what do you all think? Its not a crazy expensive one but is good quality, the lady said it just needs an oil.

And this is the new bridle, I think the bit will be too big as what I can see I have the exact same and its too thick but I have 2 small bits here that fit.

I am not sure on how it will look on the mini, like some look different, for example some have breaching and some don't, I cant tell if this one has breaching. What do you all think is included in this?

I also have some other questions.

Should I keep it in the suitcase, I have heard its good for storage, but would it be better to have it hung up somewhere or in a proper harness bag?

Also, the lady suggested a coat of leather oil.

I have this exact tube, would it still be ok to use? I have had it since about 2010 when I used to ride. If its not good to use do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

I know the harness, and it can be quite large fitting. I believe someone with a Welsh A pony found it too big, so be prepared for it to not fit. If it does, it might be in need of a few holes, or altering. It does come with a breeching, and seems to be full set.

It does look large but of course photos can be deceiving. It is a good idea to measure your horses and then ask the seller to give measurements when you cannot see the harness in person and measure it yourself. There is no way of knowing otherwise if too large for the 32" mini means just a little too large or if it means it is meant for a 13.1 hh pony.

I hope that you will find it does work for you--it looks like a nice quality harness.

On the leather conditioner--your tube should still be okay. I have used similar products that sat around longer than 5 years. For many years now I have used olive oil for oiling my leather tack. It was recommended to me by a harness maker many years ago and he was right--it works very well. Before anyone says olive oil is not for tack....you should know olive oil is used to make glycerin...and glycerin saddle soap is a very well accepted staple for cleaning leather tack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies.

I have already put a deposit on it, but if it happens to be too big I will take it into the tack store or to a leather store and get them to alter it to fit.

But if its far too big I will keep it as I plan on getting a slightly larger pony that is better for leadline, I could use it then but that will be a while yet.

Its price is really good, and I am only selling my ipod which I never use to get it. So if worst comes to worst I will oil it up and lay it back in the case and use it in the future.

But Kevin should grow to about 42" and Snickas is a pretty bulky mini. I guess ill just have to see
default_smile.png

Hah yeah, mine is slowly building, I got a mini leadline saddle, found that I barley leadline because I dont like putting more than 20 kg on them, so I have this cute little saddle and saddle blanket that I use once in a blue moon for a toddler to ride Snickas. I keep telling myself "ill use it one day" also have my old bridle that I used on my TB mare a while ago. I stopped riding and sold her still got her saddle and bridle still"ill use it one day" haha its like a disease. The bridle is now used to hang in my room for decoration
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back