Lost my first foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliasmel

Reaction score
My first foal was born last night. The mare waxed at three and foaled at 9. I knew there was something wrong when the foal stopped coming once the shoulders came out so I went to investigate and the back legs were trying to come through. Foal was in a dog sitting position and died.

I called the vet but the mare managed to dislodge the foal by spinning in violent circles and she came flying out but was long dead. I tried to hold onto the foal as the mare went into a blind panic but the foal was too slippery and the mare was too dangerous. When I did stop her spinning she would just throw herself down on the ground and thrash around.

vet came an hour later and checked mare over who thank god was fine. The filly was a jet black palouse with a white star and some white on her rump, absolutely perfect and just what I ordered.

certainly opened my eyes up to breeding. I thought I would be out admiring my little baby today not digging her a grave.

Very sorry to read this. My sympathies and {{{{{HUGS}}}}} are sent. Glad your mare is okay. This can be one of the hardest positions to salvage, and so sorry your first experience was a sad one.

Last edited:
Im so sorry for your loss
default_sad.png

So sorry for your loss. Sounds more like a hip lock situation than a sitting dog position if the foal was out to the shoulders already and no back legs, plus the mare's thrashing was able to dislodge it. If that happens again, and sure hope it doesn't!) push the foal back in a wee bit (in between mare's contractions, not during one) and try a quarter turn to dislodge the foal from the mare. Again, so sorry.

So sorry for your loss, but relieved to hear your mare is alive and has no trauma.

I'm so sorry. My heart is breaking for you. Will say a prayer for all of this.

I'm so very sorry for your loss - breeding can be so heartbreaking at times.

((((HUGS))))

Sorry for your loss. I understand as we too lost our first a year ago; mare went into labor then stopped and started again a few hours later. Neat little filly was stillborn. Since we gelded our stallion, it's like the song " I'll never have the recipe again!"

The dog sitting position is one of the hardest ones to deal with in my experiance, just can't get enough hands in there to set everything right! So sorry this has had to be your first experiance, even when we do everything right somethings just turn out wrong....
default_sad.png

I'm so very sorry you lost the filly.
default_sad.png
It's hard enough to lose a foal, but harder when it's your first one.

{{{hugs}}}

Thanks everyone. My mare is pretty swollen and sore still but eating and being her usual self.

The foal came out head, shoulders and then two feet were underneath poking out under her belly and I couldn't push the foal back or pull it, it was stuck fast. I keep thinking what I could have done to save the foal but she died pretty quickly inside the mare. She was alive to begin with because she started blinking at me and making noises. Then in about two minutes she was dead. We did try to revive her when she came out but it was obviously too little too late.

Now I have to work out if I want to send her back to the stallion for her Live foal guarantee or never breed from her again.

What are the odds of her foaling another like this? Is it something that happens time and time again?

Mare was a maiden and she is 30" tall bred to a stallion the same size.

Last edited by a moderator:
THe dog sitting position has nothing to do with genetics or anything you did right or wrong, it just happens sometimes, just like a breech birth or any other kind of malpresentation. Have had one dog sitting presentation...lost the foal, I could push the hind feet back but then everytime the mare contracted they would come back thru again....have had one full breech which I also lost....in the case of the breech it was the mares 12 foal and she had several normal presentations after (the mare is still with us at the rip old age of 33!!). The mare with the dog sitting presentation has also produced several foals with no issues.

Latest posts

Back