Lost a mare this morning...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tami I'm SO very sorry about your mare!
default_crybaby.gif

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I was going to say what rockin r did, put a creep feeder out there for the baby. If one or more of the mares are not so nice to her, maybe make up a herd of just the sweet mares for the filly to live with and take out the meaner mares.

I'm sorry

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Hope your little girl has an easy go and gets along well for you.

I am soo sorry

My mare was fine at feeding time last night and down at feeding time this morning. My vet had idea's and we tried several things but she went down hill and died this morning at 10:30. So anyway, she left behind a 2.5 month old filly. I could bring her in and put her in a stall or...I can leave her with the herd. She is the only baby out there right now. But she has always eaten pellets and hay with all of the mares (they all let her except for one mare), not just her dam. I thought it might be best, less stress for her to just leave her there, but I am just not sure....I have never done this before. I have never been in this situation before. We watched her tonight and she ate her pellets right up, then went and ate with another mare. Just checked on her and she was eating hay with yet another mare. So if it were you, would you leave her where she seems to be doing well or separate her?

I, too, am sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the extra heartbreak of loosing a mare with a foal by her side. Poor baby.
default_no.gif

If it were me, to give her whatever extra feed ration I wanted her to have I'd probably bring her in once or twice a day & put her somewhere by herself & let her eat her extra feed
^ This is what I would do if this happened to me. The foal will need to get used to being seperated from the herd for short periods of time anyway (for hoof care, training, etc.) and you can spend some one-on-one time with her and you can insure that she gets the right amount of feed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your sweet mare...{{{HUGS}}}

I too would do what Minimor said if it were me...
default_luck.gif
and please keep us updated on her!
default_saludando.gif

Tami, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss!
default_crybaby.gif
default_no.gif

Right now your little girl is out there being comforted by all her aunties, safe and secure in a situation she's familiar with. The only reason I can think of to separate her is for feeding, and as others have suggested you can do that a couple times a day then put her right back out with the herd. I can't imagine the confusion and fear of this poor little girl if on top of losing her mother you were to pull her from the family she's known all her life and put her in a stall by herself. She would wonder why she was being punished and probably fret herself ill. This is an important time for socialization as I understand it and there is no question in my mind she'll be happier in the herd as long as they keep accepting her. Hopefully someone will adopt her in the next few days but if the mares start pushing her off for some reason I'd still pal her up with at least one other sweet horse and give her a little herd of her own.

I know mini foals are a law unto themselves and seem to do remarkably well without their mothers or even other horses, but a horse should not be alone if it can be helped. Even the people-orientated ones!
default_biggrin.png

Leia

How sad, I am sorry for your loss and pray your filly will be fine.

I too would leave her with her Aunties or pair her off with a nice mare.

Tami,

It is so heartbreaking for you, I am sure.

I would leave her with the herd. I have found that typically another horse will "adopt" the foal and protect it. My babies often "hang out" in the pasture with an older buddy, and I found that when I take the mom away and re-introduce them to the herd, that that older buddy will step right in, allow them to share food and come to their defense if needed.

Thank goodness she is a bit older and has some independence. It will make things alot better for all.

I will be thinking of you!

Havent read all the posts here, but I would leave her with the herd- less stressful.. and make her a creep feeder somehow, with extra grain, etc... in it that the others cant get into.

So sorry to hear you lost your mare... Hugs.

Latest posts

Back