Lost a mare this morning...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tami

Reaction score
My mare was fine at feeding time last night and down at feeding time this morning. My vet had idea's and we tried several things but she went down hill and died this morning at 10:30. So anyway, she left behind a 2.5 month old filly. I could bring her in and put her in a stall or...I can leave her with the herd. She is the only baby out there right now. But she has always eaten pellets and hay with all of the mares (they all let her except for one mare), not just her dam. I thought it might be best, less stress for her to just leave her there, but I am just not sure....I have never done this before. I have never been in this situation before. We watched her tonight and she ate her pellets right up, then went and ate with another mare. Just checked on her and she was eating hay with yet another mare. So if it were you, would you leave her where she seems to be doing well or separate her?

Tami I am so sorry for your loss.

I personally would leave her where she is if she is getting along fine I think in the next day or two someone will not only accept her hanging out with them but become protective of her as well

I'm so sorry that you lost your mare. As for the baby, I think I would leave her with the herd. She would certainly be less lonesome there. And since you don't have any other lactating mares, she would not try to nurse them and get herself hurt.

Rita

Tami,

A breeders worst nightmare!! I am so sorry for your loss.

I too would recommend just leaving her with the mares. Do you have other foals? I would start letting the other foals in with the group so that she becomes friends with them. As she gets a bit older, the mares will not tolerate her eating their food. But once she is friends with the other foals, she can then be kept with them.

Foals have a higher nutritional need than the brood-mares.

I don't what to tell you
default_unsure.png
but

wanted to say how Sorry I am for your loss
default_no.gif

Gee, Tami, I am so sorry. I agree with the others to leave the foal where she is. She will be better satisfied in the herd she is used to being with. Much less stressful for her. The main thing is to make sure she is getting plenty to eat since foals eat slower than mature horses.

I'm so sorry Tami. I lost a mare like that a few years ago (ended up being endotoxemia), but her foal was much younger. As long as there aren't any mares in the herd that would be aggressive toward her, I would leave her with her aunties.

I am sorry to hear about your mare. I would leave the filly where she is too.

I hope all works out well for her, but sounds like it will.

B

Thanks everyone. We have been discusing what to do with her as far as getting more feed to her than the broodmares.....Some sort of creep feeder maybe....not sure yet.

And Toni, it was my Double Destiny daughter, the dam to Vegas Intrigue....... Breaks my heart to look at her, she looks the most like mom of all her fillies.

[SIZE=12pt]Do you have a really sweet mare that you could pair her off with that could act as a surrogate? [/SIZE]

I have a 15 year old gelding that just LOVES babies. He's the sweetest thing. He nurtures the babies and lets them eat with him without any problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
So very sorry for your loss.

I to agree with keeping her with the mares. She already knows which ones to stay away from and which ones who will keep her company.

I would also try to set up a creep feeder for her. That way you can keep feed out for her at all times and she can eat when every she is hungry. I always have a creep feeder up for my foals when they are with their moms. It works out great and they are eating solid food great by the time it is time to wean.

You might also want to consider giving her milk pellets. I had one mare who didn't produce enough milk and I would mix milk replacer with the foals grain and beet pulp. I would make it as sloppy as I could and still have the foal eat it. That also helps to make sure they are getting enough water.

If she is eating, it sounds like she will do fine.

Also could you put a foal or two back in the herd. Maybe just take the added foals moms out for till the filly makes a friend with another foal and can be moved with them. Then you could put the mares back once the foals where moved.

I am so sorry for the loss of your mare....I agree with the others, she already knows who to buddy with. You said she was the only foal, so I would not separtate her from the herd. A creep feeder is a good way to make sure she is getting enough feed. She will probably be fine, but I would keep an eye on her for stress. Good luck with her..Theresa

So sorry for your loss. I agree with the others who said they would leave her with the herd she is used to. It sounds like she is getting along well with the mares. If it were me, to give her whatever extra feed ration I wanted her to have I'd probably bring her in once or twice a day & put her somewhere by herself & let her eat her extra feed--that works for me because everyone, even my pasture horses, are handy to the yard, and I can bring one in & put her in a temporary stall in my hayshed--in there the horse has other horses right close/within sight so they aren't alone & it works well. For me a creep feed would be more difficult to fix up, but that may not be the case for anyone else--a creep feed may be just the ticket for your filly.

I'd keep her in with mares for a day or two and then pair her off with a young buddy for weaning so she can be fed away from the mares. Might she need to be on milk replacer pellets for a few more weeks? maybe out with mares during day and in for food and safety at night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back