Lost a foal :(

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheyAut

Reaction score
My mini mare Diva wasn't doing well, Thurs she couldn't walk right ect, vet came out, neurological problem, typing on my phone so wont get into it but

Other than a lack of eating and looking like she felt bad, Diva had been doing much better, breathing and walking improved.

This morning (313 days pregnant) she started aborting her foal (Yesterday I had a feeling she would) and it was a bad dystocia, just an ear seen, went in and it was upside down on top of the poll coming first. Despite my efforts and Craig's help, I couldn't reposition the foal, so we walked her in turns to prevent contractions while waiting for the vet. It was NOT easy, but he managed to get the front legs, then eventually the head, and delivered a beautiful pinto filly, upside down.

This was done on the driveway, and Diva laid there for awhile, exhausted. A neighbor walked by and I'm sure he thought she was dead. After a rest we took her back ro her stall, she ate a watered pellet and had some water. Now we're waiting for her to pass the placenta, she will get an oxytocin shot soon if she still hasn't.

The good news is while walking waiting for the vet, she walked normal, so hopefully she will recover fine.

{{{{{ Poor Diva }}}}} I'm so sorry for your loss. I will pray that Diva continues to improve and recover fully.
no.gif

Oh no! I'm so sorry!!! I hope Diva will fully recover ok. {{{Hugs}}}

I am so sorry for you loss and pray for fast recovery!

I am so sorry. I hope your little mare will recover fully.

I am so sorry to hear this. It sounds like the foal was contributing to her issues leading up to this.

I hope she passes the placenta soon and pray she has a full recovery.

oh dear , Im so sorry , I hope your we mare recovers quickly
default_sad.png

I'm so sorry for the loss. Also glad that Diva is walking better. Sounds like maybe the foal's poor position was pressing on a nerve & causing her problems? I hope she will recover well from all this.

Jess, so sorry you lost the foal, but I hope that Diva gets over what ever she has going on and will be ok. I just wonder if the baby could have been sitting on some nerves or something and making her 'off' and that is what the problem was? Hugs to you and Diva.

I am so so sorry. It is so hard to lose these "babies', I am just so thankful Diva is doing better and recovering. Sending prayers your way.

My mini mare Diva wasn't doing well, Thurs she couldn't walk right ect, vet came out, neurological problem, typing on my phone so wont get into it but

Other than a lack of eating and looking like she felt bad, Diva had been doing much better, breathing and walking improved.

This morning (313 days pregnant) she started aborting her foal (Yesterday I had a feeling she would) and it was a bad dystocia, just an ear seen, went in and it was upside down on top of the poll coming first. Despite my efforts and Craig's help, I couldn't reposition the foal, so we walked her in turns to prevent contractions while waiting for the vet. It was NOT easy, but he managed to get the front legs, then eventually the head, and delivered a beautiful pinto filly, upside down.

This was done on the driveway, and Diva laid there for awhile, exhausted. A neighbor walked by and I'm sure he thought she was dead. After a rest we took her back ro her stall, she ate a watered pellet and had some water. Now we're waiting for her to pass the placenta, she will get an oxytocin shot soon if she still hasn't.

The good news is while walking waiting for the vet, she walked normal, so hopefully she will recover fine.

So sorry you lost the foal, hope Diva continues to improve and is right as rain soon.

So very sorry you lost your little baby. I am so glad Diva is doing well. Saying a prayer for Diva to fully recovery and to lift your heavy heart. (((Hugs)))

Thanks everyone.

After two shots of oxytocin, she still didn't pass the placenta so vet came and got it out. Her temp was normal, but her heart rate of 96 was very alarming so he gave her 6 liters of fluid, DMSO, equioxx, and gastroguard. She just stood there head hanging until she laid down and wouldn't move.

He gave us a 5L bag of fluid and left the catheter in in case it's needed, and if she doesn't eat by morning he will come and tube feed her.

He wants us to watch for her to pee, but still hasn't two hours later. Craig said sshe's looking uncomfy, wont stop walking, doing the flehmen thing. He put a call in to the vet to see what he says.

I got two 2 hour naps. This is going to be a looooooong 12 hour shift at work. I will sleep well tomorrow, which is the start of my 7 off!

Latest posts

Back