Lost a foal this morning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
we awoke this morning to our older mare Blue down and pushing...hubby was so excited as this was 'his' mare and the one he had been waiting for. You could see the head and legs were out so we dash outside in jammies only to find the poor thing cold and already gone. This mare was due May 2nd. She has been on camera but not really watching her cause she still had a small soft little bitty nothing bag....right on schedule in my mind. This mare is 17 years old and has had 8 foals so, although a new mare I was thinking she would bag up like an old pro...I was wrong. We always check her twice a day and nothing had changed. I tried pulling and got it moved a bit but one front leg was back...tried to go in but she was clamped tight and dry......tried everything and then called the Vet.......same thing.....she pumped water in to her and wrapped a little chain around the babys neck and looped it around the one front foot..sat down and pulled and out it popped....so close to a normal foaling it makes you sick. I know all the right answers but we always think of the what ifs the I should haves and the if onlys. Vet thinks the foal may have been still born. It was a little filly, my granddaughter named her Angel cause she thought the baby should have a name. I left the filly with the mare who would not leave her......finally took it away this evening and buried it in the pasture. We have 4 beautiful healthy foals on the ground and one more also due May 2nd......I count my Blessings. Thanks for letting me share

So sorry for the loss of your filly. I hope Blue will recover quickly.

Kathye, so sorry you lost one. We lost a colt the same way years ago...found him half delivered and stuck, only ours went to Elgin and had to be cut out. Awful..

Jan

aww...Im sorry.
default_no.gif

Oh Kathye, I'm so sorry!
default_crybaby.gif

HUGS to you, your hubby & the mare.

Im so sorry. Foaling can be so heartbreaking

Kay

I'm so sorry for your disappointing loss. Give Blue and your four little foals an extra hug tonight.

I am so sorry for you and your husband........and especially for your mare...........For me it's always harder when the momma is grieving........When she cries, I cry.

Kathye, so sorry you lost one. We lost a colt the same way years ago...found him half delivered and stuck, only ours went to Elgin and had to be cut out. Awful..Jan
you know..that was the next option according to the Vet so I was glad at least she got her out......makes me shudder to even think of it...the chains were bad enough,,,its hard to know which is the right path at times like that..we do what we think is right..thank you Jan for sharing that with me

So sorry to hear of your "Angel" foal, it is heartbreaking to say the least. Sending strength to you, your husband and Blue.

default_no.gif

Back