Lost a baby today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
Lost a foal today, my favorite mare of course who has never had a girl, only boys, aborted a filly at 7 mths. All seemed normal except for the fact that this babys skin was completely without pigment. Now mom is a sorrel varnish roan appaloosa and Dad is a homozygous tobiano grulla pinto....I have seen pigment on foals aborted a lot earlier than 7 months, how can this be???

So sorry for your loss. I don't know why it didn't have color pigmenation.

Sooo sorry for your loss
no.gif

Perhaps it was aborted because of a genetic flaw. The LWO gene is known to cause problems, but thought that the problems started after foaling. Maybe somebody else has experience with this.

I have no answers but just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss, especially since it was your long awaited filly. Maxine

Sorry for your loss. Sometimes we just dont know why and it usually the favorite one.

Prayers to you,

Joyce

stormy said:
Lost a foal today, my favorite mare of course who has never had a girl, only boys, aborted a filly at 7 mths.  All seemed normal except for the fact that this babys skin was completely without pigment.  Now mom is a sorrel varnish roan appaloosa and Dad is a homozygous tobiano grulla pinto....I have seen pigment on foals aborted a lot earlier than 7 months, how can this be???
531844[/snapback]

I'm so sorry you lost a filly.
sad.gif
I get very sad when I hear of losses.

A friend lost a foal today too. I sit here scared to death every day watching my mares like a hawk. We get our fair share of losses and I know how that hurts. Give your mare a hug.

{{{Hugs}}} for you

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. How is Mom doing? I just hate coming to the board this time of the year, and hearing about all the angel foals, I just feel so bad for all of the loss little ones....and then I think of my mares and can only hope...nothing happens. (((Huggs to you and your mare))))) Corinne

So sorry for your loss. I wonder if it could have been a maximum white sabino foal? Would never have thought that but this year I had that out of a very minimal appy/sabino mare and a black very minimal splash/sabino stud. The stallion really doesnt even show sabino but throws it regularly. I could not believe it when I saw that blue eyed white baby.

I am so sorry for your loss, I am too going through some greiving! I mean thank god your mare is ok, you can always breed her again!!! Unlike my situation I cannot for I have lost the mother too! Oh please go hug your mare for me for I am missing mine dearly!

Lost a grey filly foal out of Independence last February... and this one was not a dwarf, of course...

Hugs to you and your mare!

Denise

Silversong Farm

I'm so sorry for your little lost filly..This is such a scary time of the year. Sounds as if that little filly might have been a maximum white sabino or could have been a lethal white that aborted...They are not all born alive..Have you tested your horses for LWO? If not I certainly would. It could be the sire and dam of this little filly could be the result of them both being LWO carriers. If it is a LWO foal then it is a blessing that it aborted.

I'm so sorry...

so did the foal have a little bit of hair? I was thinking the same as Hairicane, if somehow your mare had overo or something and the foal was LWO, or a maximum sabino?

My condolences on your loss.

edited to say

Oh, Judy beat me to posting and said it so much better than I did.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back